Boston VS Minneapolis (Split from Fan Pier Thread)

I'm surprise people would confuse Minneapolis with 500 other cities (though probably not literally). I wouldn't but I do have an uncanny ability to easily recognize many of the world's major cities with just a look at it's skyline.

You guys are lucky there's a Minneapolis resident here. :)

The Homerdome is going to be demolished after this year's Twins season ends, no?

Nope. Vikings still play there.

Some decent buildings aside; Minny has a horrible skyline....it's not even really a skyline.

It's a downtown chaotic cluster of disproportionate skyscrapers characteristic of all mid west cities not named Chicago.

I'm not a big fan of Boston's harbor skyline but at least it's legit in terms of depth and size. Plus the real money shot is obviously the Charles River view....and that obviously lacks the volume of tall buildings....

Skyscrapers that are being built in nearly every American city do not make a skyline or a city....

It's silly talk when people start to gabble about other places building skyscrapers as though they are actually doing something 'advanced'...when all of these places are still trying to catch up to the older, denser cities in terms of urbanity and street life.

There's a lot of "stupid" in there. it's not even really a skyline? What the fuck does that even mean? Go to Emporis and see how "real" it is. See where it ranks worldwide.

Also, how is it disproportionate? You have three, nearly 800' towers in the downtown core, and they get smaller as you go out. It's like a mountain. Smaller buildings as you go further out.

Skyscrapers do not mean a skyline......?? Really? On what planet? The one the Ewoks live on?

boston has a much more unique skyline.
I could easily confuse mineapolis with 500 other cities.

Really? So Minneapolis...Casper, Wyoming? What's the difference, huh? Minneapolis and Chicago are the same? Give me a break. The only reason Boston has a more "unique" skyline is because of the Back Bay. If the Pru and Hancock were downtown, guess what? Boston looks like 500 other cities too.

I'm not shitting on Boston. Quite the contrary. I'm moving there in September. I LOVE Boston. Love it. But I felt like I had to defend the city I live in now against some absurdly ignorant comments.

Re: Fan Pier

minneapolis_skyline_summer.jpg

Very nice skyline, but I like how Boston's is more scattered. This seems a little too centralized to me. Nice compact little city.

This is how probably 90% of cities are organized. A central, downtown core. Boston is only one of a handful of cities with essentially TWO skylines. Boston, New York, Atlanta, Houston.....only ones that come to mind that DON'T have a centralized downtown skyline.

They also (Minneapolis) have taller buildings than we do! Nice pix of the skyline^^

Really? I questioned this statement, so I looked it up. Minneapolis has eight buildings exceeding 500 feet with another one proposed. By contrast, Boston has sixteen building above 500 feet, with another seven in proposal.

I do, however like the Minneapolis skyline. Even though small, it is so highly concentrated that it looks quite dramatic.

The Big Three (IDS, Wells Fargo, US Bank) are all the same size, roughly. They are all about 777', 57 stories. By comparison, the Hancock is 790' & 60, and The Pru is 750' & 53.

After that, Minneapolis has one that is 667 (compared to 617 for Boston). Minneapolis has the edge in height, but Boston definitely has the bigger edge in density and numbers.

^ thanks for the info I do't know why folks are bashing Minneapolis I think it has a really nice skyline compared to other mid-west cities,according to skyscraperpage.com those three tower's are taller than Boston's! Any how welcome to Boston,look forward to what you think once your here!

speaking of "disproportionate"... why does this board spend so much time blathering on about skylines? You sound like a bunch of mayors of mid-size gotham wannabes. Granted, they are iconic and can be powerful, but this idea of a static, composed (and perhaps even 2 dimensional) city is a bit dated i think. I'm no more concerned about Boston's skyline than i am the geometry of its streets-- that is, both are interesting and readable byproducts of countless forces (economy, geology, sociology, politics), and both are important to how a city functions at myriad levels, but arguing over whose is "nicer" is beyond absurd. Of all the layers of intrigue and potency that a skyline has, its composition is near the bottom for me.

Perhaps it's because a city's skyline is the first impression of a city that most people get. It's dramatic, more or less, and I don't have any problem dicussing their merits or disappointments. Some of us are very visually oriented, and first impressions are often lasting.

I do not find them static or two-dimensional. They change as we alter our viewing perspective.

I do not find them static or two-dimensional. They change as we alter our viewing perspective.

Exactly, depending on your perspective, the environment, and the time period-the skyline is extremely fluid. If you read the start of the thread, I said how Minneapolis had a pathetically boring skyline from the air-my first impression of the city. Many disagreed, showing me pictures from a different perspective, where they're first impressions were (presumably) made. The skyline is the cover of the city, whether you like it or not, it's the first impression most people get. A skyline that is unique from all perspectives will certainly garner more respect among the public, both residents and visitors.

I also live in the Twin Cities (only during the school months) and sometimes I climb a neighboring fire escape (I live in St. Paul) and at night gaze out at the Minneapolis skyline. The same can be done from the extensive riverfront parks. Back Bay from across the Charles still does more for me, though. And the cities can't really be compared. The Twin Cities are largely suburban - albeit well designed, interesting, and functional suburban - with scattered nodes of urbanity.

^ Well said. Large parts of Minneapolis are completely dead after 5pm. All the nightclubs, shopping, and stores are basically concentrated in a small area. 1st ave-Hennepin-Nicollet Mall, which just irritates me.

^ thanks for the info I do't know why folks are bashing Minneapolis I think it has a really nice skyline compared to other mid-west cities,according to skyscraperpage.com those three tower's are taller than Boston's! Any how welcome to Boston,look forward to what you think once your here!

Based on my two visits, I have nothing but rave reviews of Boston. I can't WAIT to get there permanently.

Great! You'll luv the city but hate the developement process,but thats why we have Arch Boston :) meanwhile post some more pix's of Minneapolis,would enjoy seeing more of that city or even St. Paul.

Great! You'll luv the city but hate the developement process,but thats why we have Arch Boston :) meanwhile post some more pix's of Minneapolis,would enjoy seeing more of that city or even St. Paul.

Will I love Ned Flaherty? Hahaha......wow. What a character.

Back