Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: 1325-1341 Boylston St (Fenway Triangle/Former Goodyear Tire)

Well the parking garage is going down 3 levels below ground. So beginning the concrete pour assumes the whole they've dug is 25 to 30 feet deep by now. Looks about right.

Thanks for sharing the webcam!

I hadnt realized the garage had been knocked down

DSC04427_zps67af8564.jpg

DSC04428_zpsdd7928ff.jpg

DSC04429_zpse8131b0d.jpg

DSC04430_zpsd9a73b21.jpg

DSC04431_zpsb779c9b9.jpg

DSC04432_zps7d424c3b.jpg

DSC04433_zps01311a10.jpg

DSC04434_zps9ec75dc1.jpg

DSC04436_zpsdc17dc6b.jpg

DSC04437_zps96056153.jpg

DSC04438_zps1260556f.jpg

Based on the webcame posted above, I'd say they have about 1/5 - 1/4 of the concrete foundation poured right now. Does anyone know how long it takes from the foundation being poured to steel going in the ground? Could we expect to see steel in the next month or two?

Based on the webcame posted above, I'd say they have about 1/5 - 1/4 of the concrete foundation poured right now. Does anyone know how long it takes from the foundation being poured to steel going in the ground? Could we expect to see steel in the next month or two?

Just a hunch, but I think since they're doing a 3-floor, 500-space underground parking garage, they may use reinforced concrete below grade to carry the loads of all those vehicles. If that's the case, then it could be a while before we see steel above ground. I don't have any information that they wouldn't be using steel for the garage, but my educated guess is they'd go with concrete based on experiences in other garages around the neighborhood (Trilogy, 1330, etc.).

Any civil/structural engineers care to chime in?

Some educated guesses from a guy who works in construction procurement, not engineering...

Geotechnically, I believe the soil here is similar to what we dealt with when we built the Smith and Yawkey Buildings at DFCI. The construction methodology bears that out as well. This site is quite large, and in considering that, the cost of a poured concrete garage would be significantly higher and would add months to the construction schedule. I could see that if the developer were building a tower, but not for a building under 30 stories. Once the slurry walls are complete, I think they'll go with an "up-down" approach, as we've seen at CLSB and the new Longwood Center project.

Sigh... where was the neighborhood on that 575 space garage? That is certainly against the Master Plan they came up with.

If that guy who's whining about height didn't oppose this, he's a fucking hypocrite.

Sigh... where was the neighborhood on that 575 space garage? That is certainly against the Master Plan they came up with.

If that guy who's whining about height didn't oppose this, he's a fucking hypocrite.

I don't think parking is inherently bad. It's just overground lots that could be used as something else that are bad. In this case, the parking is underground and isn't displacing any retail or condos, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

All parking has a side-effect. Adding that much parking to the neighborhood just increases the number of cars and congestion on the streets. As Shoup says: parking requirements are fertility drugs for cars. But don't take it from me, take it from the Urban Village plan:

The Fenway has the best and worst in terms of its transportation system.It
has some of the most walkable streets in the city and reasonably good access to
public transit. But it also has far too many vehicles on its streets for such a densely
populated community.In an urban village people ought to be able to get around
without relying on cars.The community has worked to encourage developers
and institutional neighbors to allow as few cars as possible in their projects and
plans.

Also, a 575 vehicle parking garage will cost at least approximately $25 million to construct. How's that going to be paid off? Probably by passing it on to residents and customers.

The neighborhood was against the garage size. Read through the comment letters on the project and that should be quite apparent. Target's lease agreement is the only reason it exists. Samuel's learned from Trilogy and 1330 that parking is very expensive to build and underutilized to the point of being a profit drain. That's even with the revenue from ballgames.

Is Target going to own a bunch of spaces in the parking garage being built? I would imagine that having a parking lot is very import for Target's business, considering the amount of large items they sell.

All parking has a side-effect. Adding that much parking to the neighborhood just increases the number of cars and congestion on the streets. As Shoup says: parking requirements are fertility drugs for cars. But don't take it from me, take it from the Urban Village plan:

Also, a 575 vehicle parking garage will cost at least approximately $25 million to construct. How's that going to be paid off? Probably by passing it on to residents and customers.

You do understand that a City Target is occupying the 2nd and 3rd floors of this project, right? And the ground floor will have up to 8 or 10 different retail establishments. And this project displaced at least 200 parking spots as well. So you're effectively seeing a net gain of 375 spots, all underground; a more activated pedestrian experience on Kilmanrock, Boylston, Van Ness, and New Streets; and the assurance that Target customers can drive their vehicles right to the store if they need to and not worry about carrying god-only-knows how much crap shoppers purchase there to vehicles parked illegally in resident-only spots. This is a great project for the neighborhood.

Fenway West Report:
The very tight restrictions on off-street parking [0.75/unit max] being recommended for the Fenway reflect the neighborhood’s desire to discourage car ownership, and reduce air pollution from heavy vehicular use.

This project includes quite a significant number of parking spaces over the zoning code's "maximum" (putting aside that it is a "large project"). I guess the question is: Why is zoning so sacrosanct when it comes to height, but not parking maximums, and the expressed wish of the neighborhood to discourage vehicle traffic?

I don't disagree that this is a great project for the neighborhood. If I'm coming across negatively, let me just say that I'm really excited about what's going on in the Fenway and I think they've done a spectacular job of planning it for the most part. It's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards Mike Ross for mayor, actually.

Looking back: I missed this article so perhaps there was some push-back, in which case I retract my "hypocrite" accusation, although I do not know if it was the same person.
Another concern regards parking, with the Civic Association questioning the need to add 107 parking spaces to the site when there are existing garages at nearby buildings and expressing concern that "Big Box" retailers will overwhelm traffic capacity.

Whats fucked up about Target demanding this is that they did the same in DC.

I believe an audit was conducted and the garage has never been more than 40% full, even during the holidays.

Whats fucked up about Target demanding this is that they did the same in DC.

I believe an audit was conducted and the garage has never been more than 40% full, even during the holidays.

If you're alluding to the Columbia Heights Target in DC, isn't that whole complex considerably larger in terms of retail uses? I think it's senseless to have so much garage space adjacent to a high-rail station in the first place (that's not an end station like an Alewife or Braintree), but these Targets are not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Isn't this garage also supporting the lack of any parking in The Point?

No, the Trilogy garage will be absorbing any parking requests from residents at The Point.

I don't like how big the footprint is. I feel like it should be broken up into four parcels. Too big for a 12 story building, or any building for that matter. This block makes the seaport blocks look small

No, but it will be supporting the parking needs of the residents of the 132 Brookline Ave. portion of this project.

Back