Boynton Gateway | 495 Columbia Street | Somerville

Equilibria

Reaction score
Per B&T, this is headed to the City of Somerville formally in short order:

1611946568996.png

I'm interested to see this all go at once, because if South St. is to be extended to Webster (as it freaking should be) it would punch right through that parking garage.

surprised that this parcel got purchased for development before j&a (directly across on columbia st). i can enjoy roaming through junkyards and reaping the benefits of used auto bits and parts at cheap prices as much as the next guy, but j&a seems much more prime for razing. for those ponying up considerable $$$ to buy or rent in the newer builings that have gone up in the neighborhood, i'd think they'd far prefer getting rid of a junkyard with rusted corregated metal fencing over a moving company, auto repair shop, and garage (what boynton gateway is replacing).

Many moons ago I used to manage that garage. Those cars on the top floor are for Jon’s auto sales. An area hospital rented about 100 spaces and the rest were for monthly Parker’s. The garage was never more than 50% full.

Many moons ago I used to manage that garage. Those cars on the top floor are for Jon’s auto sales. An area hospital rented about 100 spaces and the rest were for monthly Parker’s. The garage was never more than 50% full.

I think it might be more full now - the new construction apartments along Webster don't have on-site parking and have deals there for their tenants.

Looks like some action taking place - or lack of it - at what was J+A, near Webster/Columbia/Beach. One of the old timers told me today, “they moved us across the street…so they could build apartments.” Also looks like some survey work taking place at what was Nicks Foreign Auto?
437086AA-73AD-47A3-8861-F769BB210A5A.jpeg
8F7DC4CB-9371-4B13-A128-C8B2D9B7BDE9.jpeg
3E5030D6-D8F3-47B1-B4F9-9C311647401E.jpeg

Found a CoUrbanize site for this:

Could a mod please change the title for this to "Boynton Gateway | 495 Columbia Street | Somerville"?

1628883969952.png

1628883981769.png

1628883992014.png

1628884023251.png

1628884843163.png

Last edited:
The developer cannot record the consolidation at the registry of deeds until all the buildings are demolished.

This one was shortened because the high rise would generate too much wind at street level.

I also read in the memos that the condos right next to the proposed bldg objected to the shade it would cast. I’m not convinced that 9 stories compared to 12 reduces impact that much - but more power to both parties for negotiating.

Last edited:
I also read in the memos that the condos right next to the proposed bldg objected to the shade it would cast.

Let me cast my own damn shade at those condos next door. It's the same old story, ignore the shade cast from our building, but don't you dare build something that will potentially shade us. Blocked views, parking issues, more people, traffic.....all excuses used by existing residents to block others from building.

The Webster condos are a relatively recent addition to the neighborhood. They got in just before the Great Recession. Too bad it couldn’t have been looped into the whole Boylston Yards project area. Setting the boundary mid-block leads to awkward edge issues like this.

Back