Boynton Yards | 101-153 South Street | Somerville

Equilibria

Reaction score

DZH22

Reaction score
It looks like the Back Bay view from Prospect Hill, Somerville, is set to be replaced by the Union blob over the next few years. That's the price of progress I guess.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
This is currently a 1/3 of a mile walk to the west-end entrance of the USq T
But woudl be super close if there were an overpass and east entrance.

ra84970

Reaction score
Wait...they think 1,000+ parking spots is a benefit to the neighborhood?????? Yikes.

Equilibria

Reaction score
For that neighborhood? It's a push.
In this neighborhood it's a problem, because the road network back there is awful. Somerville's plan to fix it isn't much better since it only addresses the redevelopment area and not any new connections into it from Somerville Ave and Cambridge Street. I have no idea how they think people will be getting back there to park or how anyone else will be getting around there when they do.

ra84970

Reaction score
I've been looking at the new zoning code and the overlay district as well. I'm not sure I understand how the developers interpret some of the parking regulations in this overlay district. To me, it appears that the entire district is restricted to 1,500 parking spots. If I remember correctly, there's already 200 at the Union Place garage. I'm not sure with the new zoning code, if i'm reading this correctly, but it appears that this single development will take up the remainder of most of the 1,300 additional off-street parking that is available to the entire Boynton Yards district?

When it comes to phasing in parking for the entire district, I don't think building this much parking without additions to the street network (really, not happening though) makes sense to start off by burdening the highly-saturated Webster, Prospect, Medford, and Cambridge street thoroughfares in the AM and PM peaks with all this office traffic. I hope the USNC and the other neighborhood groups push back against this much parking. It makes no sense, even with any amount of dollars being thrown down.

fattony

Reaction score
This is currently a 1/3 of a mile walk to the west-end entrance of the USq T
But woudl be super close if there were an overpass and east entrance.
I agree. The GLX stations each having only a single access point was a missed opportunity. We will have new stations which is great, but with such tortured walking paths to and from desired destinations that we’ll be asking on day 1 “why isn’t there an exit at the other end of the platform...”