Boynton Yards | 101-153 South Street | Somerville

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
Good find, JS38. I think it’s a pretty cool design all things considered, but can’t help but chuckle at drawings like this that really spell out how out of place these buildings will be.
View attachment 19092
So what? TOD near transit stations and squares (such as Union Square) will be taller and denser than the surrounding neighborhoods. That will hopefully happen more and more in the inner and outer cities and towns.

Equilibria

Reaction score
So what? TOD near transit stations and squares (such as Union Square) will be taller and denser than the surrounding neighborhoods. That will hopefully happen more and more in the inner and outer cities and towns.
The problem is that if all the people who work in these buildings drive to work from Acton, it's not really TOD.

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
True, but there are 350 apartments in this as well as the lab space. I agree with most on here that the architecture overall is bland, and it could have been integrated into the adjoining neighborhood better. But I hope that new developments can happen near transit stations without concerns raised that they don't match the old buildings and streets nearby.

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
^ that is cool. This area is similar to North Cambridge where I grew up with its legacy of industrial/commercial buildings adjacent to and somewhat mixed in with the residential neighborhoods, going back to the 19th century. I know that flies in the face of today's thinking of having neat little pristine 100% residential streets, which I think is just an attempt to mimic suburbia. The city I grew up in was a diverse mix of residential, commercial and industrial, sometimes on the same block. That's why all the concern about developments like this being out of scale or incompatible with the adjacent old neighborhood baffles me. Boston, Cambridge, Somerville and several of the other inner cities have a rich legacy of mixed land use. This type of development is just a continuation of that diversity.

Ruairi

Reaction score
^ that is cool. This area is similar to North Cambridge where I grew up with its legacy of industrial/commercial buildings adjacent to and somewhat mixed in with the residential neighborhoods, going back to the 19th century. I know that flies in the face of today's thinking of having neat little pristine 100% residential streets, which I think is just an attempt to mimic suburbia. The city I grew up in was a diverse mix of residential, commercial and industrial, sometimes on the same block. That's why all the concern about developments like this being out of scale or incompatible with the adjacent old neighborhood baffles me. Boston, Cambridge, Somerville and several of the other inner cities have a rich legacy of mixed land use. This type of development is just a continuation of that diversity.
I don't mind the use or the scale, I just think it looks ugly, boring, and cheap.