Brockton Developments

So I wanted to get some other angles. Traffic and a dirty windshield didn't want to help too much.

8D735E87-A0BA-425B-8465-F47A9DD54D65_zpsjjvs5uov.jpg

DC21D782-E20E-4B40-8AA1-461C93CA66B2_zpsni9hvy9b.jpg

F1036DC5-B28A-4975-9A86-E9C740B2D85B_zpsdor3zxuy.jpg

DC21D782-E20E-4B40-8AA1-461C93CA66B2_zpsoomj1u4k.jpg

B18497E4-7F28-4A55-B5DB-60EF5F3A6256_zpskgbxusvf.jpg

F5A44E67-D88F-4ECD-A5CC-6158D52EECBE_zpspzili1l4.jpg

24CF29B7-B105-4029-9AD5-5616EED02D0C_zpsy4kthxv9.jpg

262BFA96-6563-40E6-878F-21807DC33993_zpsnwrbepid.jpg

5165DCC8-4C37-4041-8CD0-921618F13E59_zpsclvsowui.jpg

There's a couple rehab projects in the same neighborhood I keep meaning to roll into the thread. Figured I'd need it renamed to brockton projects. There's some other multi family projects I need to go document as well.

This is nice. I hope the people add some more vibrancy to downtown and some new restaurants and amenities pop up around the station (and jobs). Brockton is in a good location and has made great strides in its school system.

Have there been any proposals for buildings in the 15-20 story range? Seems like this town could really use one or two.

Our downtown redevelopment program has some awfulness restrictions in regards to height and density. Fairly anti urban. Height is effectively limited to not exceeding what's there already. I think if a developer came along proposing something they might listen, but people are difficult down here.

I was speaking with the former mayors son (who was considering running for office as well) we spoke about this. I think I suggested 15-20 stories so we could get some actual density in out tiny downtown with street level retail. This was his idea as well and apparently ran into stiff opposition at the mere mention of it.

Our new mayor seems to be pro development and pro business, so we'll see. The former administration was amazingly very anti business.

Some updates from Friday.
E9364C33-DEB3-4E3D-A753-9DA0808F14FB_zps2mzoebrm.jpg

6B873E43-DE45-4873-AC49-BEDFAF2C4745_zpsfdxnbhqf.jpg

Here's the southeast corner showing the rehab of the enterprise building as part of the overall project.
3DC40534-7254-4D3F-8115-E03CBCE019A0_zpss0rfc5lb.jpg

26E14A23-4701-4F08-B7CD-C70AB7677036_zpsnlkbsttz.jpg

291100B6-2B5F-477D-A5FC-F73AF93F499E_zps88yptaop.jpg

E56335D4-19A9-4568-8A6B-EA2375C915FD_zpsshtzszbs.jpg

Another Main Street building. Assume a rehab to include new skin. I hope.
7BBCB499-F59D-43BB-9C6C-508D7286CCA2_zpsr0cbgswk.jpg

8258A7D5-AA9B-49F7-AEB7-39FCC21A75B8_zpsjslfu4kt.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that looks really good. Way to go Brockton.

Not sure the last two pix are a rehab. I believe the fencing is there because sizable slabs of the facade were falling off the building and nearly killing pedestrians.

I noticed after posting it, that the rear portion of the wall appeared to be crumbling. It was very sunny when I walked by and was a bit blinded.

Wishful thinking, but yeah it looks to be possibly coming down. Bad news because, I feel like any breaks in our continuous downtown wall, will never be re-filled.

http://trinitymanagementllc.net/?page_id=26

Looks like theres a newish website for this development. They've named the three buildings and the whole project is now Enterprise Center. The market rate building is Centre 50, and the artists building is Enso Flats. Whatever that means. Too much parking as usual, but at least most of it will be hidden when phase 2 kicks in.

Looks like there is a lottery for the artist units in a couple weeks, but the deadline for applications already passed.

brockton_highered_complex_news_nov14_news_464_240_s_c1.jpg

http://www.umb.edu/news/detail/gove..._million_to_create_higher_ed_campus_in_downt#

http://m.bridgewater.wickedlocal.com/article/20141119/News/141116279

http://m.enterprisenews.com/article/20141124/NEWS/141128220/12153/NEWS?template=printart

This one has been inc the works for many years, but they finally announced plans this past fall and funding for a new collaborative college campus,downtown. Very interesting idea, and apparently the first of it's kind with UMB BSU and Massasoit CC all teaming up to bring education and career skills building to a vacant downtown building.

Great news that they are able to save some of the building as it apparently had suffered significant water damage in the years it has been empty.

The bad news is, that the building has had street level retail since the day it was built, and will Not in this iteration. It adds people, but also adds to this dead zone on main street which already has too many government buildings contributing nothing to the neighborhood.

a85f8872b5dc748523d176115b2b02d2e079c155.jpg

And of course the biggest and most controversial proposal in the city. The 350MW, $350 Million gas fired, dual cycle, electric generating power plant proposed in our Oak Hill Way Industrial park in South Brockton.

You can imagine the hand wringing and local opposition to this one If you haven't read any of it yet. The developer currently has a civil rights lawsuit against the city and individual councilors and the former mayor for the amount of $68 Million. So yeah contentious to say the least.

We expect some news tonight in the mayors state of the City address. He has been apparently trying to work out a settlement to allow the approved (by the state) plant to move forward.

Station Lofts

A revitalization of the former Lilly Brackett Boot & Shoe Co./Geo. Knight & Co. building, in the heart of downtown Brockton, Station Lofts offers a unique blend of history, community, sustainability and comfort and is now home to twenty-five, loft-style one & two bedroom apartment homes.

Station-Lofts-ribbon-cutting-0114.jpg

Exterior.jpg

Completed and opened last June.
Good road improvements around the site, lots of additional street lighting around the place. On grade parking behind it between this and the elevated train line.

‘Smart growth’ apartments popping up in Quincy and Brockton

In Brockton, leasing is underway at Centre 50, a cluster of 71 apartments that is part of a larger project known as Enterprise Center, Trinity Financial’s $100 million redevelopment of the city block bounded by Main Street, Petronelli Way, and Centre and Montello streets.

Along with a 42-unit artists community called Enso Flats, Centre 50 will be housed in a newly constructed 113-unit apartment building.

Amenities include a fitness center, club room with a dual-sided fireplace, art gallery, outdoor terrace, parking, and bike storage.

Tenants are due to move in by the end of April, according to Matt Zahler, project manager for Trinity Financial.

Local officials, including Brockton Councilor at Large Shaynah Barnes, are hopeful the new apartments will help revitalize this section of town.

“It’s going to bring a lot more foot traffic to the downtown area, and that’s something we can use down there,” she said.

Centre 50 is being marketed as “comfortable luxury” living that’s conveniently located near the MBTA commuter rail station. The units feature granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and attractive prices: monthly rents for one-bedroom units start at $1,200; two-bedroom units at $1,400, and three-bedroom units at $1,600, Zahler said.

Brockton Councilor at Large Robert Sullivan noted that the city adopted the Smart Growth Zoning and Housing Production Act, known as Chapter 40R, a state law that encourages communities to create mixed-use smart growth zoning districts. It was approved by the Brockton City Council in 2007.

“The intent was to have five different specific zones in the core of the city downtown, and the Enterprise
development is within that core,” Sullivan said. “We hope it will be a catalyst for development.​

This is very good news. The one bad thing is that I was looking at the Brockton train schedule and the stop does not have very many trains going into or out of the city. I've never commuted from Brockton before, so if anybody on here has, do you think there's a demand for more frequent headways?

This is very good news. The one bad thing is that I was looking at the Brockton train schedule and the stop does not have very many trains going into or out of the city. I've never commuted from Brockton before, so if anybody on here has, do you think there's a demand for more frequent headways?

I don't have numbers but I'd guess so. Old Colony lines are constrained by the one-track pinch in Dorchester. They can't expand schedules until that's resolved.

My pipe dream includes BAT owned local trains running back and forth from Braintree or Randolph to Bridgewater to add transit trains to offset the anemic schedule.

As far as commuter service, the timing is appropriate for getting people into boston, which is the point, however it obviously works both ways, and provides plenty of service if you're commuting for work to any of the 3 stops. The lack of late night trains is one of the biggest issues I have with the schedule.

Back