Brookline Infill and Small Developments

Well currently vacancy rate in Boston is like 2% in the rental market, which is lowest in the country. It’s also on the very low end for owner-occupied homes. Given that these imaginary new construction units will be nicer than some Ashmont shit box triple decker I would be shocked if they don’t fill up immediately.

nicer than some Ashmont shit box triple decker I would be shocked if they don’t fill up immediately.
hey now! what's wrong with said "shitbox triple deckers?" (unless you're talking newer alucobond travesties; i'm assuming you mean the classic south boston/dorchester/somerville/quincy houses).

hey now! what's wrong with said "shitbox triple deckers?" (unless you're talking newer alucobond travesties; i'm assuming you mean the classic south boston/dorchester/somerville/quincy houses).

Upward filtering of termite-infested 120 year old homes that were stapled together for penniless immigrants (which were needed in the Taft years) should not exist as viable, even expensive, housing stock in one of the richest cities in the richest nation on earth. I don’t know how long plywood 5 over 1s should exist at a turn, but triple deckers have outlived their useful lives whatever one might think of their aesthetics

Upward filtering of termite-infested 120 year old homes that were stapled together for penniless immigrants (which were needed in the Taft years) should not exist as viable, even expensive, housing stock in one of the richest cities in the richest nation on earth. I don’t know how long plywood 5 over 1s should exist at a turn, but triple deckers have outlived their useful lives whatever one might think of their aesthetics
Point to where the triple deckers touched you and we'll take care of it

Yeah, I get that. The corridor along Harvard St., and really for several blocks in each direction is already at a good density. Definitely fine to go bigger there, but it's not the part of Brookline that is problematic. I would push for significant upzoning at every D-Line station area, in addition to Harvard St.
The way that part of Brookline contains density is actually very impressive, perhaps ideal. The number of huge apartment buildings that somehow just feel nicely tucked in all over the place around there is under-appreciated. I've always wondered about what was going on in the planning board in the 60s; no question some people made a shitload of money, and no question it pissed off a lot of residents which is why the zoning got clamped down. Yet, it actually works really well.

Problem is nobody wants to truly change their neighborhood. We have not come close to reckoning with how much change is actually needed. In the 19th century, people waltzed into low density towns, razed every building to the ground and build entire streets with walk ups and triple deckers. Nobody is prepared to just take ten streets in Brookline or Roslindale and level every fuckin building and replace them with 6-stories and up. Yet that is the level of change that happened 100 years ago and that's really what we need now. And to do that would inexorably change the living shit out of our neighborhoods, to the point they'd be unrecognizable. I'd be surprised if anyone on here truly is ready for that. We morn the loss of elegant urbanism here constantly. Anytime the mom and pop closes or the cute taxpayer on the corner gets leveled, we know we lost something irreplaceable. But if the entire region isnt to become just some museum, literally we need boldness to the point of razing every building under 3 stories on every major corridor, destroying whole swaths of Cambridgeport, etc etc. Tinkering around with one street at a time, one site at a time, we are not making any headway at all.

I have always wanted someone to calculate a real number of new housing that would be needed to staunch the housing price increase in the region. As in, people say we need x-hundred-thousand new housing units just to provide space for the people who need to live here, but what's the number needed across the region to slow the housing value increase by $x per year? Such a number would be staggering and throw into high relief how truly dire a situation we're in. If housing costs have increased at x percent over ten years and we want to slow that by y percent over the next ten years, whatever the number of new units required for each incremental reduction in cost, I guarantee you it would be far, far higher than anyone imagines. And if we actually need, say, one million new housing units simply to keep costs from increasing as fast as they have been, where in the hell do you even think about putting them? Even a hundred thousand units inside 128—that's a huge number. Neighbors fight the BPDC tooth and nail over projects that add a couple dozen per project at best. The Shawmut story in the Globe today, for example. I feel like even this Brookline policy shift is a pitifully small drop in the bucket. Anything Wu does—same. What is the way forward? But we need those numbers and to get a lot more serious about them.

They should all be demolished and replaced with proper housing.

When is the last time a 5 story (non-lab) building anywhere in the metro was "well built?" They're all flimsy wood framed, thin walled pieces of crap.
I think we all know exactly what kind of cheapo crap will get built here.

I dunno. No complaints about my own, really. Roofs need to be replaced now and then and things need to be repainted and general upkeep, but I don't see how or why they'd have outlived their useful lives. Anything "lives" as long as you maintain it. And there are a lot of old-world, Victorian touches and details that don't happen anymore.

No termites here, either (or staples).

To be clear, my point wasn’t about whether triple deckers are good or bad. It’s mixed, like everything, but they’re definitely old.

My point was addressing the question above as to whether anyone would live in a median new construction apartment on top of Brookline Booksmith or wherever. If 98% of all apartments in Boston are occupied, including a bunch of shitty triple deckers, then yeah I’d guess that a brand new place in Coolidge Corner would fly off the market.

Now, since the question has been raised, I do think housing scarcity in an expensive city tricks lots of us into rationalizing things on aesthetic or other squishy grounds when the answer is more of “damn this sucks”. Gleefully paying top dollar for very old wood frame housing that was probably first lived in by a Civil War veteran could be deemed as psychosis for some. I just think it’s a mistake of zoning and political will. Not to even get started on the efficiency and climate gains from modern windows, doors, insulation, and heat pumps.

I disagree. Triple deckers are a staple of New England life and many of them are up-to-code, and refurbished for 2024 standards. They have value. Most people might not be able to afford them but that’s not the Triple-Decker’s fault.

Most people can’t afford them because we live in a scarce zero sum housing reality! That’s the consequence of upward filtering. Most people can’t afford anything. And yes, I would hope that literally every extant home in Massachusetts is up to code as a bare minimum. We are a wealthy people who deserve 100% of our domiciles to be livable by any standard in the world. Anyways, disagreement is great and I’m always curious how other people see this issue because it’s so painfully clear to me.

They’re ugly and cheap, poor craftsmanship, usually covered in vinyl.

Well currently vacancy rate in Boston is like 2% in the rental market, which is lowest in the country

I think a lot of apartment complexes hold back units when they already have vacancies.

The way that part of Brookline contains density is actually very impressive, perhaps ideal. The number of huge apartment buildings that somehow just feel nicely tucked in all over the place around there is under-appreciated. I've always wondered about what was going on in the planning board in the 60s; no question some people made a shitload of money, and no question it pissed off a lot of residents which is why the zoning got clamped down. Yet, it actually works really well.

Problem is nobody wants to truly change their neighborhood. We have not come close to reckoning with how much change is actually needed. In the 19th century, people waltzed into low density towns, razed every building to the ground and build entire streets with walk ups and triple deckers. Nobody is prepared to just take ten streets in Brookline or Roslindale and level every fuckin building and replace them with 6-stories and up. Yet that is the level of change that happened 100 years ago and that's really what we need now. And to do that would inexorably change the living shit out of our neighborhoods, to the point they'd be unrecognizable. I'd be surprised if anyone on here truly is ready for that. We morn the loss of elegant urbanism here constantly. Anytime the mom and pop closes or the cute taxpayer on the corner gets leveled, we know we lost something irreplaceable. But if the entire region isnt to become just some museum, literally we need boldness to the point of razing every building under 3 stories on every major corridor, destroying whole swaths of Cambridgeport, etc etc. Tinkering around with one street at a time, one site at a time, we are not making any headway at all.

I have always wanted someone to calculate a real number of new housing that would be needed to staunch the housing price increase in the region. As in, people say we need x-hundred-thousand new housing units just to provide space for the people who need to live here, but what's the number needed across the region to slow the housing value increase by $x per year? Such a number would be staggering and throw into high relief how truly dire a situation we're in. If housing costs have increased at x percent over ten years and we want to slow that by y percent over the next ten years, whatever the number of new units required for each incremental reduction in cost, I guarantee you it would be far, far higher than anyone imagines. And if we actually need, say, one million new housing units simply to keep costs from increasing as fast as they have been, where in the hell do you even think about putting them? Even a hundred thousand units inside 128—that's a huge number. Neighbors fight the BPDC tooth and nail over projects that add a couple dozen per project at best. The Shawmut story in the Globe today, for example. I feel like even this Brookline policy shift is a pitifully small drop in the bucket. Anything Wu does—same. What is the way forward? But we need those numbers and to get a lot more serious about them.

Several non-profit organizations such as MAPC, Mass Housing Partnership, CHAPA, Boston Indicators, A Better City, etc. have issued reports on this exact question in recent years. The general consensus in north of 200,000 by 2030 to achieve a healthy vacancy rate. That figure was also used as a justification for the MBTA Communities Act that recently passed, with the goal being to spread the 200,000 out to all MBTA Communities, assuming the individual cities/towns comply with the rezoning requirements. If all communities comply, the state anticipates that around 340,000 units would be allowed through the new zoning.

I agree that it is likely far higher, but I would check out some of these organizations who are doing great work trying to figure this number out.

Several non-profit organizations such as MAPC, Mass Housing Partnership, CHAPA, Boston Indicators, A Better City, etc. have issued reports on this exact question in recent years. The general consensus in north of 200,000 by 2030 to achieve a healthy vacancy rate. That figure was also used as a justification for the MBTA Communities Act that recently passed, with the goal being to spread the 200,000 out to all MBTA Communities, assuming the individual cities/towns comply with the rezoning requirements. If all communities comply, the state anticipates that around 340,000 units would be allowed through the new zoning.

I agree that it is likely far higher, but I would check out some of these organizations who are doing great work trying to figure this number out.
Thanks for this!

every private backyard tennis court in Brookline should rezoned to mixed-use 5-over-1. (but seriously, never bothered looking till recently but the amount of backyard tennis courts is making me giggle)

Several non-profit organizations such as MAPC, Mass Housing Partnership, CHAPA, Boston Indicators, A Better City, etc. have issued reports on this exact question in recent years. The general consensus in north of 200,000 by 2030 to achieve a healthy vacancy rate.

Besides the obvious flaw that new construction has to be so expensive as to not really make a dent in rents... I think the market has gotten too efficient for a high vacancy rate to happen. Unless Boston becomes unpopular with employers.

There's only a handful of millennial-friendly areas where shacking up works well enough to make up for the high rents. You would think Brookline would be one of those.

1.27.24--another new build SFH...sigh. Plus a 4-unit condo project in Coolidge Corner, and there's now a view into the expanded lobby/atrium space in Coolidge Corner Theatre:

20240127_162530.jpg

20240127_132452.jpg

20240127_142327.jpg

Back