BU Biolab

Yes they were all pyramids, but what I think everyone was going for was the feeling the Biolab has. An unwelcoming, fortress like structure that casts its shadow over the surrounding community. For many people, it doesn't represent anything good either, which would be comparable to the ministries in 1984.

That sure is an intimidating stretch. Pretty cool looking if you ask me, although I think it'd be cooler if there was a few blocks like this with thinner streets...that'd be a really unique area to walk through.

The ministries are all pyramids.

Seven years of college studying literature -- you think I'd have remembered that...

Pretty cool looking if you ask me, although I think it'd be cooler if there was a few blocks like this with thinner streets...that'd be a really unique area to walk through.

You'll love Vassar Street in Cambridge...

I live in the South End and the Biolab don't bother me. I'm not next door, though.

You know it was probably built to look like a bunker to make people think it is safer. I doubt that will work but that may have been the thinking.

^^ That very well could be the reason it looks that way. This building is supposed to be a fortress though, right? Wasn't there some ridiculous safety precautions taken for this building?

A long story in today's NY Times about how the new biolab in Texas was built on a barrier island in Galveston swept nearly clean by Hurricane Ike. The lab survived unscathed, but still.....................

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/us/29lab.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

For those wanting to compare the architecture, Galveston's biolab:

lab_gnl190.jpg

It's the integrity of the clean rooms and their mechanical equipment which is important. Think of bio hazard design as having a safe inside of a room. What's inside the safe is perfectly fine if the room around it is destroyed, as long as the safe itself isn't compromised.

I think it hasnt been allowed to open yet (lawsuits)

April 2010 the "blue ribbon" panel results will be published.

(I wasn't mocking it by putting it in quotes; that's what it's called.)

Last edited:
I hope this place has very stong security and is very structurally sound. B/c if I were a terrorist I'd view breaching this building as a great way to cause chaos and fear, and potentially an outbreak.

Looks like an f*ing fortress, so I bet it's pretty safe. And I don't think collegiate biolabs are typical terror targets, but I'm no homeland security expert.

I never followed the debate on this. Why isn't it out in the sticks somewhere?

^Access to human capital or so the argument goes. The best universities and bio lab companies in the country are located here. Plus BU got a ton of NIH grant money to integrate the BSL4 lab into BU's already proposed lab expansion.

The Mayor was a big, big, BIG supporter. The neighbors in the South End, in my estimation, are about 50-50 on whether it's a plus or a minus. I'm pro. But, then again, it's not like a case of ebola is gonna make that much difference in my life. LOL!

Back