BU Development Thread

The truncated domes should be oriented so a bling person goes straight into the crosswalk and into the next sidewalk. Instead, most of them send someone across into the fire hydrant

It's a should, not a shall. So the installation isn't illegal, but it is poor practice. The engineer who drew up that ramp interface didn't give a shit about best practice. Flexibility is allowed to accommodate cost issues (ie drainage), but thats not the case here.

We should expect better in a walking city in 2018

I'm more than a month late to this conversation, but this statement is actually the opposite of the truth, although it is a very frequent misunderstanding. The directionality of the domes is specifically not intended to communicate anything about which direction to walk. The domes are purely for a vision impaired pedestrian to sense beneath their feet and know they are entering the roadway.

https://www.access-board.gov/guidel...inal-report/x02-5-pedestrian-street-crossings

ADA said:
Discussion: The detectable warning is a unique and standardized surface intended to function much like a stop sign to alert pedestrians who are blind or visually impaired to the presence of hazards in the line of travel. The truncated dome surface should not be used for wayfinding or directional information. The removal of curbs, which provided a clearly defined indication of the location of the edge of the street, has caused difficulty for individuals who are blind or visually impaired. The locations above were identified by the committee as being appropriate for the installation of detectable warnings. Detectable warnings are not required at unsignalized driveways based on comments to the committee that installation at driveways would make it harder to truly identify the streets.

Thanks for starting the new thread, data. Can someone move the content above relating to this project to the new thread?

We really need this done. PITA as it might be.

Yours all's posts both for and against are amazing.

The Globe goes down memory lane when Babe Ruth pitched in the World series at what is now Nickerson Field
23012u.jpg

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ll-treasure/Hf6ucy0NLsLc23TLkk5ieM/story.html

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but the BU bookstore is moving to 910 Commonwealth Ave. Source: their contractors are starting to pull permits that are showing up on Brookline's website. This is a good activation for that block.

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but the BU bookstore is moving to 910 Commonwealth Ave. Source: their contractors are starting to pull permits that are showing up on Brookline's website. This is a good activation for that block.

Is that the old Photographic Research Center site? Thought the bookstore move was the reason they gave for having to give up their space on campus.

I also agree its a good fit for that block.

Is that the old Photographic Research Center site? Thought the bookstore move was the reason they gave for having to give up their space on campus.

I also agree its a good fit for that block.

The PRC is/was at 832 Comm, next to the new theater (if I'm reading the campus map right). 910 is this guy in between CVS and Sunset Cantina in front of the St. Paul stop. Looks like BU only bought it about five years ago.

The PRC is/was at 832 Comm, next to the new theater (if I'm reading the campus map right). 910 is this guy in between CVS and Sunset Cantina in front of the St. Paul stop. Looks like BU only bought it about five years ago.

Old industrial building with a "modern" façade.

Does anyone know if Barnes & Noble will also move with the BU Bookstore into the new location? While I think it’s a smart move for BU to put the bookstore at the new location, it’s also just one more retail loss for Kenmore.

Does anyone know if Barnes & Noble will also move with the BU Bookstore into the new location? While I think it’s a smart move for BU to put the bookstore at the new location, it’s also just one more retail loss for Kenmore.

The BU Bookstore and Barnes & Noble are one and the same. The new location will likely be less of a department store than it is now in Kenmore Square.

No it isn’t. The BU bookstore has resided within a Barnes and Noble in Kenmore.

Does anyone know why there has been scaffolding around the base of the new Kilichand Center for Integrated Life Sciences and Engineering on Comm Ave?

The scaffolding has been there for several weeks+. The building is new - is there something up with it? Or is there an unmitigated falling ice hazard or related?

Back