BU Institutional Master Plan 2023

TomOfBoston

Reaction score
2022-10-28_Institutional Master Plan Notification Form (IMPNF)_Boston University Charles River Campus 2023-2033.pdf | Powered by Box

Yet another STEM research building to replace old buildings on Cummington St. and the COM building, up to 16 stories. COM will be relocated to West Campus. It would straddle Cummington St.?

A new building for Pardee on the BSR parking lot behind CAS, up to 11 stories.

A new residence Hall StuVi III, up to 11 stories. It would be between the other StuVi buildings.

No mention of a new COM building though.

Last edited:
Where does it state that COM will move to west campus?

StuVi III! Finally. Hope they do that ASAP.

With these new buildings, BU will really be extending the skyline...

StuVi III! Finally. Hope they do that ASAP.

With these new buildings, BU will really be extending the skyline...

The Pardee building on Bay State will be another highly visible structure from the Charles. It’ll be interesting to see which direction architecturally they decide on.

The IMP states that the current location of the BU Academy is a potential development site. COM would make sense at that location.

The IMP states that the current location of the BU Academy is a potential development site. COM would make sense at that location.
It would but there is no mention of a new COM building there. If they were to use the existing BU Academy building it would be just another makeshift facility for COM. And where would BU Academy move to?

COM is one of the top communication schools in the country, yet BU treats it like its ugly stepchild. Compare COM to the Newhouse complex at Syracuse University. They have a modern complex of three buildings. Support Newhouse | Newhouse School at Syracuse University

It would be an amendment to the IMP.
BU Academy building is not suitable for redevelopment. Clearly the site would be used for future development as is stated in the document.
BU Academy has many future options on the Charles campus. When Pardee builds, their current Bay State Rd location would be available. The current location however creates major traffic concerns and has been ripe of redevelopment for years.

10 Deerfield is a hole in the middle of Kenmore. It's bothered me for decades and has held the number one spot on my wishlist for infill, despite my general apathy towards the area in recent years.

10 Deerfield is a hole in the middle of Kenmore. It's bothered me for decades and has held the number one spot on my wishlist for infill, despite my general apathy towards the area in recent years.

A great opportunity for BU to partner with a developer on a mixed use commercial / academic / student housing project that could elevate Kenmore with multiple uses. Perhaps even a theatre component. Pipe dream, of course....

It _is_ weird that 10 Deerfield isn't in the next 10 years IMP

I would not want the task of developing an IMP for BU - Pike on one side (possible air rights, tho) Storrow Drive and Charles River on the other, and a heavily built-up Comm Ave down the middle.

Can thy build over parts of Storrow, like some of the hospitals on the UES of Manhattan did on the FDR?

I would not want the task of developing an IMP for BU - Pike on one side (possible air rights, tho) Storrow Drive and Charles River on the other, and a heavily built-up Comm Ave down the middle.

Can thy build over parts of Storrow, like some of the hospitals on the UES of Manhattan did on the FDR?
The buildings over the FDR make decking over the pike look cheap

ppp
The buildings over the FDR make decking over the pike look cheap
The Pike + rail is wider than the FDR, plus you have to deal with ventilation. The FDR is just open on one side.

Decking over Storrow Drive would be great. The river side of the deck could be left open so that the need for fans to ventilate the road would be minimized. There could be pocket parks on parts of the deck in addition to new buildings The decking could really tie in the existing riverfront to the entire area.

Decking over Storrow Drive would be great. The river side of the deck could be left open so that the need for fans to ventilate the road would be minimized. There could be pocket parks on parts of the deck in addition to new buildings The decking could really tie in the existing riverfront to the entire area.
I know this isn’t the place for it, but Storrow Drive shouldn’t be decked over, it should just become a pedestrian path and bikeway.

I know this isn’t the place for it, but Storrow Drive shouldn’t be decked over, it should just become a pedestrian path and bikeway.
But don't we already have an esplanade for that?

Back