BU New Balance Field

Do you know if the plan for that is to replace the current Sweeney Field or relocate it to a less prominent location and build academic/residential buildings on Huntington?

I don't want to derail this, but the plan is to put it on the Parker St. Lot. It's literally identical to this site/design. The current Huntington location (which btw is one of the most valuable pieces of property in the entire city) will eventually become an academic/dorm/campus center thing and is now part of a proposed amendment to the IMP. (edited)

Refer to the IMP: http://www.wit.edu/imp/ (Sep 29, 2010)

Refer to the Wentworth thread if you want more info.

@Ron - Just like WIT, I doubt the parking is for the field itself. This solution is just a better use of space - campus parking and a field.

Last edited:
I don't want to derail this, but the plan is to put it on the Parker St. Lot. It's literally identical to this site/design. The current Huntington location (which btw is one of the most valuable pieces of property in the entire city) will eventually become an academic/dorm/campus center thing.

Refer to the IMP: http://www.wit.edu/imp/ (Sep 29, 2010)

Refer to the Wentworth thread if you want more info.

Data -- at a meeting associated with boosterism of the Electrical Engineering program last winter I was told the current Sweeney site was going to become WIT's small version of Kendall Sq. -- housing a commercial innovation center as well as some WIT teaching labs

The existing building is starting to be broken down.

y73pG.jpg

Damn, for some reason it never clicked for me they were demoing the building there.

It was nothing special, but it looks like the first bay (the part with the balustrade) could have stayed instead of the stupid lawn and curvy path they are building. I would imagine a snack bar, press box and ticket windows could have nicely fit inside. The building for the garage they are putting up would have slipped in right after it, forming a street wall:
ajyIe.jpg

Not a big deal, but a shame nonetheless that a bit of the history of the area was wiped away for grass.

Love the scaley in the black polo rocking the popped collar. That kid can be in my frat any day.

So - with this almost complete it begs the question: what is the point of nickerson field at this point?

Nice to see the sidewalks fixed up on both sides of the street.

So - with this almost complete it begs the question: what is the point of nickerson field at this point?

Is this a real question?... One of the reasons why they wanted to build this new field is because BU only had one field at the time and the demand for field space exceeded supply. Nickerson will be used for what it's always been used for while New Balance will be used for field hockey and practice/games for other teams (i.e. intramurals).

They claim to be shooting for an August 2013 opening for this field.

i thought new balance was for lacrosse, BU is starting a men's lacrosse program to go with the woman's program

field hockey fields are typically stand-alone because the surface is smooth turf.

Is this a real question?... One of the reasons why they wanted to build this new field is because BU only had one field at the time and the demand for field space exceeded supply. Nickerson will be used for what it's always been used for while New Balance will be used for field hockey and practice/games for other teams (i.e. intramurals).

This is a real question. It's a giant waste of space.

Its less wasted now. Before it was just a parking lot, now its a parking lot covered by a field. Progress!

In all seriousness, while I wish BU would do something more substantial with those lots, they do need somewhere to go for their athletics. They are a pretty general purpose school and athletics are probably a decent draw for potential students. It also creates a decent buffer between Allston and BU (pretend for a moment that almost every house in PrattAshfordGardner isnt filled by students).

Back