Building With Wood

Can't say I'm in love with the facade, but I love the courtyard (or whatever that is).

(reviving an old thread... @datadyne007 or anyone Let me know if you remember a Wood & Construction Fires discussion someplace else)

I want to note that you can see somebody's fire code at work in this picture below, where it is pretty clear the rule is "must have two fireproof slabs before the wood starts" and as a result, any place they did a high ceiling on the first floor resulted in a 3rd Floor-Level slab and the wood can't start until Floor 4.

But where the first two "fireproof" floors were normal height, the wood starts on Floor 3.

What other fire-safety things are going on when building with X-over-2 ? Where X = Wood and 2 seems required concrete?

After again seeing the wood-over-2-floors of fireproofed, I wanted to ask again:
Are the two concrete or fireproofed steel floors
  • A structural thing (wood can only hold 6 or N floors without making the bottom different)
  • The first two floors are more likely to burn? More important to "not burn"
  • why *two* floors? why isn't 1 enough? and why not 3 ?
  • Some other reason?
I think of this as a @datadyne007 question. In the photo above (from Assembly) you see that the rule seems to be that they want two fireproof slabs/decks between the ground and the first wood floor, so that, in the building above, they had to go 3 stories high on the part of the building where they wanted a double-height ground floor (it is about decks, not height)

You don't "need" 2 concrete floors. My last apartment was a concrete foundation with 2 sub-levels of parking, a first/street level floor that was concrete and then 5 floors of wood above it. The first floor was where the amenities and the gym, etc. were, with big open spaces and high ceilings. There is a ton of that stuff here and it is all 1 floor of concrete.

However, we have a wood office building, called T3, developed by Hines: T3 Minneapolis

1702332074090.png

1702332109023.png

Back