Buildings I've designed.

I use Sketchup but suck at it.

Im deffiently doing some research right now on how to improve.

Should I download more plugins?

Ahh sorry guys, forgot all about this thread since my computer died.

I used vray to get those high quality renderings. There is nothing else that has the raycasting ability to create realistic lighting and shaddow effects. Fyi, I'm terrible at using it, those are a very bad example of its capabilities, photorealistic doesn't even come close to what it can achieve. Do a google image search.

The first renderings (twin donuts) are done with nothing but sketchup. My advice to others: don't use sketchup's default materials, ever. Stick with white, or use muted colors to delinate what is what. The ONLY material I use besides color is transparent grey glass. Don't use the blue. Also turn line extensions off and set everything as plain as possible, unless you're going for artistic expression. Shadows are okay, but make sure the time of day and year (and direction!) needs to be set to compliment the model.

As for building quality and thought out models: stick with massing first to get a general feel for what you want. After that point start building a new version next to it.

USE THE LAYERS AND COMPONANT PROPERTIES (not actually sure if that's what its called) WINDOWS. I can not stress how helpful this is. Having different floors and different things (windows, furniture, glass) on their own layer that you can turn on and off not only makes the model easier to work with but allows you to have a complex model not slow down your computer. However make each object its own componant (select all the lines and faces and right click on it. Componant properties or whatever makes it possible to switch lines, or whole componants between layers. This makes it so the geometry won't "stick" to lines on other layers, like the top of a wall and the bottom of a ceiling.

Double click a face to select it and all ajacent lines. Triple click to select everything it is touching. This is helpful to quickly select things, track down why something won't work, and also see if something is stuck to something else on a hidden layer. You can also triple click on an object you made to "open it", aka edit it in its own universe instead of having to explode it.

Speaking of geometry, it really, really helps to take the time to be neat. Clean up extrainious lines and segments left over when faces intersect or get extruded and leave a trail. Make sure all faces are facing the correct way (white side out, blue side in). This will help prevent geometry errors down the road that will lead you to not be able to do something, slowness, or even crashing.

Also use units of measurent. It may be fun to push and pull but using actual feet and inches allows you to make realistic and uniform adjustments. Also building on the x, y and z axises make things ever so much easier.

Don't be afraid to build some 3d objects "manually" with lines. Sometimes its easier and simpler to just build the object yourself than try to execute some crazy series of extrusions and follow mes and other annoying things.

Save curves for last, they always seem to cause issues or need reconstruction to make changes.

Pay attention to detailing. Materials a different depths that cast a shadow line make a dramatic difference between flat faces.

Most importantly, sketchup is farrrrr from perfect. Its really buggy, terrible at curves and worse at splines and makes some things convoluted. There are ways around it, but for the most part just learn its limitations and how to work around them if needed. All 3d modeling programs are cumbersome and frustrating in their own way, but sketchup is great at just that, sketching.

Just a few, unconnected thoughts and hopefully advice that will help someone

Last edited:
Newbury and Dartmouth (conceptual)

angularnewbury.jpg

angularnewbury2.jpg

We had Dartmouth/Newbury as our site for a project sophomore year, so I've also designed a building for this site. It was only 5 stories because it was contextual.

Eek. That is a sick-ass amazing building and I'd love to see it anywhere else in the city, but I'd prefer to keep the uniform height and density of the Back Bay north of Boylston.

Also, is that a sunken plaza at the intersection itself?

I'm going to start a blog soon with all my playtime projects on it, but I figured I'd throw up what I've been fooling around with for a while now:

EverettPlace_zps68b71157.png

For those who are familiar with Allston, this would go on an extension of Everett St, with the road running about where the KFC is now. 31 N Beacon should be where the White Horse is on the left, I just didn't have a pic handy.

Thanks guys...

Here are a few more, the process is on my blog. I plan to try to update it at least once a week with whatever I'm working on. Expect a dump of material soon...

http://davidmaerz.wordpress.com/

9061270659_f7f28f27cf_o.png

9063627788_6b162f462d_o.png

9063499476_7fc7228de4_o.png

I don't know why 10AM seemed like a good time for the sun when I did these. Everything's super dark...

Great blog - I'll be reading. What software are you using for renders? And are you sketchuping all the background buildings as well, finding them on the 3D warehouse, or...?

Great blog - I'll be reading. What software are you using for renders? And are you sketchuping all the background buildings as well, finding them on the 3D warehouse, or...?

I got lucky enough to get a v-ray licence from a friend, which is fantastic. The background buildings are all just photoshopped in for now, which is why the perspective/lighting is wonky in a few places. My photoshop skills are just good enough to post-process, not much else. I did just grab 31 N Beacon and the Mann school off 3D warehouse, but I'm super picky and will probably rebuild them when I do the rest of the buildings.

Last edited:
125 Mass Ave: Corner of Boylston and Mass Ave over the Pike.
This is one that I really liked in the beginning, and have come to dislike more and more. The inspiration was a modern interpretation of the art-deco style, concentrating especially on verticallity. I think its not bad from the street, however it turned into a big grey monster. It is however from the time in which I had a v-ray subscription, so there are some better quality renderings.

125MassAve.jpg

My favorite part: (I renamed Hynes to the historic name of the pre-back bay peninsula that was here: Gravelly Point).
render2.png

Are they allowing buildings to be built west of Mass. Ave?
I recall years ago when a rich family at my private schools bused a bunch of my classmates in to protest the idea of decking over the Turnpike close to Fenway Park.
The Fenway Studios building at 30 Ipswich Street contains a bunch of artistes and they had every argument in the book against decking over the Pike. "The light is perfect for painting", "building over the Pike will cast shadows over the front facade of the building meaning they can't paint under natural light" etc., etc. They held this big field trip for us during an open house period and all the media were asking us our opinion about the art and we were supposed to say how badd building some planned highrise over the pike or along Boylston Street would be for all of these artistes and their working conditions. I believe the B.U. Bioengineering building suffered from that same argument. B.U's building was built next to the pike but not allowed to extend over it.
Some structure next to Fenway Park was struck down too. I forgot all about that manipulation we underwent, but I remember now being told how badd it was for the artists and we were supposed to tell the media the same if they came around to speak with us... (As if we were some kind of experts and knew what we were talking about.) Using little third and fourth graders for NIMBY is so low. haha

Simple massing concept for the Pappas area of the Seaport - very dense mid-rise mixed-use district with a large park situated against the reserve channel. Wide avenues could also support a trolley in the median coming out of the Piers Transitway.

tvI0bfg.jpg

sWNtusQ.jpg

gTSnp3v.jpg

A3Ns1yN.jpg

Not a particular site in Boston, but figured I'd share in case anyone has feedback:

E3te3JG.jpg

What would you envision the program of that central space to be?

What would you envision the program of that central space to be?

Here's a version with some interior details turned on.

Bki3yZU.jpg

The middle section is an atrium with spiral stairs that extends in half the depth of the building. The space on the different floors and especially the ground floors are spacious enough for cafe kiosks, tables and other amenities. I think this setup works great across a range of uses - office and education, for example.

Back