Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress St Garage is being sold.

I believe they own the whole parcel. There is an additional piece (where the police dept. is located) that they want to acquire, but it's relatively small and I don't think is vital to the project.

Also, you got that right, Paul. Why not open new schools where the new people are living? More importantly, why are they building all those schools while enrollment is down over 15% in ten years?

Also, the three schools going up in Roxbury & Mattapan - you're not including the $40 million Renaissance Charter School, I assume (since it's in Hyde Park)? That's a boondoggle ripe for the picking by some attentive member of the mainstream media.

The Renaissance Charter School I think is private, certainly it's out of the reach of the Boston teachers union. I think the other three schools have been built and that while enrollment might be down city wide there are some areas in the city where it's growing.

Anybody close to this project that knows when either the winning design is unveiled or when all of the competing designs are revealed? I'm pretty pumped about this proposal- I really hope this goes through without the process totally stripping it of its balls. It's not the *best* place for height, but if they are going to propose a couple of top-quality towers (and it looks like they are headed in that direction) it's also not at all a bad place for height. And from that pdf it doesn't look like shadows on the RKG are really that big a deal realistically

Back (West) Parcels Planning Part 2 pdf

The pdf from the 11/10/08 meeting is now online:
http://demolishthegarage.com/pdf/presentations/pres_2008_11_20.pdf

This might be the big one:
Topic: Architectural Competition Visuals
December Date TBD, 6:00-7:30pm
The public is welcome. Please enter at the One Congress Street entrance at the corner of New Chardon and Merrimac/Congress Streets, and remember to bring photo ID for building security.

Clever how they rendered in the North Station towers to balance out the background skyline.

I have no problem with either of those towers.... but that proposal for Parcels 1a/1b is crap on a stick. I understand the need to not over shadow the North End and the Greenway but come on, what the hell is that design? What are the steps to nowhere? Back to the drawing board please.

wow. These two towers NEED to get built. They change the skyline for the better, and they look beautiful. Kinda like a boring version of the lippo center.

If I'm understanding the pdf correctly, those aren't the final renderings. The last page or so of the pdf says which firms are competing

That's right, those are just massing models.

I have no faith in any of those firms to make something better than the massing models. They should hire the guy that made the models and save everyone a lot of time and money.

I don't know if this is new but one of the slides on the new presentaion has a caption "Add third structure to lower height of other two towers".

Existing to proposed comparisons from the PDF:

newsudburyexisting.jpg

congress1.jpg

Views from Congress Street:

congressexisting.jpg

congressnew.jpg

Views from West End Place:

westendexisting.jpg

westendnew.jpg

Views from Whittier Place:

whittierexisting.jpg

whittiernew-1.jpg

Views from the Greenway:

greenwayexisting.jpg

greenwaynew.jpg

Views from Dock Square:

docksquareexisting.jpg

docksquarenew.jpg

View from the waterfront:

waterviewexisting.jpg

waterviewnew.jpg

Keep in mind that these renders are meant to dissaude NIMBYs, so the tower doesn't look as big as it really is; or maybe this is the final design :rolleyes:.

greenwaynew.jpg

What is the large tower on the right? The North Station Towers?

waterviewnew.jpg

And what is the large tower to the left of the John Hancock? Looks like a 900 foot Winthrop Tower. Skyline looks good if it ends up this way.

They added the North Station Towers as a way to balance the rendering so the new towers don't stick out so much (sneaky).

Agreed...what do you think the chances are of that happening though? 1 in 10? 1 in 20?

edit: my post was in response to the end of DarkFenX's last post.

Last edited:

Also looks like they added TNP to add some height to the financial district. I'd say 1 in 10 for the chances.

I don't think there's a doubt it's going to get done. The community wants it done. They're just going to be bastards and make the "towers" 300' x3.

The North Station towers will definitely be built ... that area is zoned for tall buildings.

Then lets all work to make sure the proposed heights are maintained. These heights seem reasonable for this area, and the ovedr-all concept is a pretty good one. It's very urban.

Back