Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

Mac and Stat, you got me.

Prepping for a jury trial now, so the humor discernment gauge is set to low. (But those law books can be more than just decorations, or whatever it was the law-talkin-man said!)

Government Center Garage Redevelopment Project: Impact Advisory Group Working Session Meeting

Wednesday, October 28, 2009
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Sadly, I missed it. I'm really interested to know what went down. Nothing here yet...

From NorthEndWaterfront.com

IAG Throws Up Yellow Flag on the Government Center Garage Plan
Date: Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Government Center Garage Impact Advisory Group (IAG) threw a wrench into the existing developer-led process by insisting that they set the agenda from this point. The turning of the tables happened at last week's public meeting held at City Hall. The group hopes this will result in a more agreeable project plan instead of the tower-heavy, dense office park proposed by developer/owner of the garage, Raymond Group. The IAG is a citizen advisory body guided by the BRA and made up of 13 residents and interested parties from three abutting neighborhoods: West End, Beacon Hill and the North End.

Government Center Garage Redevelopment Impact Advisory GroupSeveral members of the IAG voiced the need for less review of the developer's plan and more public discussion of the possibilities. Some did not think that future meetings would be productive unless the process is substantially revised. Raymond has not updated his development plan in over a year so it is not clear what IAG comments have been incorporated into the design.

To show their combined resolve, the IAG issued a formal letter as read at the meeting by Bob O'Brien of the West End/Downtown North Association.

Here is a partial list of issues raised in the IAG's letter:

* Proposed height and density - IAG strongly objects to what has been proposed.
* Economic justification - What are the alternatives?
* Zoning Compliant Options - Why are these not being considered more thoroughly?
* Architectural details are too vague.
* District Master Plan - Is this development going to be a focal point or the standard of future development in the area?
* Where and why does this project fall within the Greenway District Planning Study?
* Public Elementary School option - The IAG wishes to discuss this option.

The audience watches the IAG deliberate at the public meeting.

Mark Paul, President of the North End/Waterfront Residents' Association, stated that bringing an office park and expanding the Financial District to the edge of three residential neighborhoods was unacceptable.

Ted Raymond asked whether the IAG wants anything built instead of the garage. Leaving the garage "as is" remains an option for the developer. There was general agreement that some type of mixed use development was desirable, but not millions of office square footage. The IAG also questioned why they are being asked to review a plan that includes BRA/City-owned land when it is unclear if this can be part of the redevelopment. There were also comments made that the current process was unduly repetitive and not fair to the IAG nor the developer.

With the three neighborhoods joining forces, it was suggested that the IAG work with the developer on a new plan. The group wishes to avoid working backward from a huge monster plan back to something agreeable. Many in the room expressed concern that this redevelopment project could set the design precedents for future development in all three abutting neighborhoods.

In a word, absurd.

2 + 2 = 5

The Government Center Garage Impact Advisory Group (IAG)

WTF is this!?

insisting that they set the agenda from this point

Again, WTF? How do they think this will go? "I can haz agenda?" "Yes!"

IAG is a citizen advisory body guided by the BRA

Why is the BRA facilitating these idiots? Shouldn't it be neutral and/or drive redevelopment and not stall it?

tower-heavy, dense office park

Unbelievable phrasing.

Some did not think that future meetings would be productive unless the process is substantially revised.

In other words: modify this or we will whine to the media about how you're ignoring "the community," hence letting you do nothing.

* Proposed height and density - IAG strongly objects to what has been proposed.

Surprise.

* Economic justification - What are the alternatives?

More tax dollars funding suburban services instead of yours?

* Architectural details are too vague.

Why make them detailed when there will be endless objections to answer to?

* District Master Plan - Is this development going to be a focal point or the standard of future development in the area?

Do they want it to be? Because it sounds like they want some stumps.

* Where and why does this project fall within the Greenway District Planning Study?

It hopefully has nothing in common with any planning initiative that's led to the Greenway's current physical state so far.

bringing an office park and expanding the Financial District to the edge of three residential neighborhoods was unacceptable.

Again.

Many in the room expressed concern that this redevelopment project could set the design precedents for future development in all three abutting neighborhoods.

It is not in their goddamn neighborhoods! It's across a giant scar park from one of them, and blocks and blocks from the others!!!

For a second I thought "This is BOSTON, not Hitler " was John's response to that crazy article.

The one thing that really kills me is this:

bringing an office park and expanding the Financial District to the edge of three residential neighborhoods was unacceptable.

That is the BEST place for it. It isn't going IN the neighborhoods, it is going outside of and next to.

What pisses me off the most is that the BRA is totally inconsistent. Here will they bend to the will of a loud/politically connected minority or will they bull doze through the process, letting the developer do whatever they please like in Allston? They really can't be trusted anymore.

I tried to make it to this meeting but couldn't. What's the role of the audience at these meetings? Do you just get to watch the circus or do you have the ability to make any positive contributions? I've never been to these, so I'm interestred to hear how they typically work.

My (Jewish) New Year resolution has been to participate much more in the development process, to whatever extent possible- in addition to whining. Aside from attending these meetings, any other suggestions? I'm a Brookline resident, btw...

This city's fuckin itself over

Personally, I believe the BRA are going to approve it regardless of what the community says since Menino doesn't seem to have any bad blood with the developers. With Flaherty however, I'm not so sure. It's a lose lose situation really. If Menino stays, we probably get the tower but we keep a corrupt leader. With Flaherty, everything will be shorten, but developments are more fair.

Ok who is that we can email about this project. I believe a bunch of people did it a few months back. Time to do it again. One must be persistant when dealing with stupidity.

I don't even know what to say at this point as everything about NIMBY's has been said before. I can only hope that this is a vocal minority and from this point on I am going to do everything in my power to get this thing built. This development has more potential for positively impacting the city than the last 5 years worth of development combined IMO.

There really hasn't been any negative impacts. The planning process was going smoothly and the developer was on board with the school/new police station. The T studies have shown the T can handle it.

I am just so discouraged about the future of this city at this point. I know nothing is official yet, but this is seriously the straw that is breaking my back.

Ok who is that we can email about this project. I believe a bunch of people did it a few months back. Time to do it again. One must be persistant when dealing with stupidity.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...rojects.asp?action=ViewProject&ProjectID=1387
How can I find out more? For more information or to comment on the application, contact the project manager, Kristin Kara, at 617-918-4263.

By mail:

Kristin Kara
Boston Redevelopment Authority
One City Hall Square
Boston, MA 02201-1007.

By e-mail: kristin.kara.BRA@CityofBoston.gov

Are there any pro-development citizens' groups in this city? If there are, does the BRA take them seriously? If there aren't, why not?

No argument that this is the same frustrating news we hear everyday. But bask in the fact that Raymond was quoted as saying that leaving the garage "as is" is also an option. That should shut most people up.

No argument that this is the same frustrating news we hear everyday. But bask in the fact that Raymond was quoted as saying that leaving the garage "as is" is also an option. That should shut most people up.

you would think so....until you read the comments posted under that article John linked too.

And i quote....

Am I the only one concerned about the environmental impact of pulverizing concrete buildings every day of the week? The garage is fine. All it needs is to be muralized or something. Next, they'll want to rip down City Hall. We're all going to die from white lung.

P.S. Nice hole downtown. I have a funny feeling that garage space is going to be "under construction" for two decades.

One of these days we're gonna look back on Scollay Square and sing, "Those were the Days."
November 1, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterE. Dee Bundt-Kerr

E. Dee Bundt-Kerr is not alone in making an excellent point about the proposed destruction of the Government Center Garage. I wrote an open letter to the Raymond Group about environmental impacts some six months ago. It was published in the North End News, shortly after the monster project was proposed. In that letter I pointed out that the North End suffered through almost 20 years of the Big Dig, and we now would like some years of peace and quiet. I suggested Raymond leave the garage as it is. After all, they say it is profitable now as a garage. The dust from pulverising concrete is just one of the scores of horrible environmental problems the developer would throw at us. Of course, the developers and their lawyers and architects and financiers don't live in the North End, so why should they care. Naturally, my letter was ignored by the Raymond Group.

People too self righteous and stupid to notice that the alternative to dense cities is cutting down more trees and developing pristine land. The hair dye and dry cleaning chemicals these nitwits are exposed to on a daily basis are more cancer inducing than any concrete dust.

^^ I wish I could find it it but the CFL (Conservation Law Foundation) once published a paper to the effect. Basically saying that increased density in cities is net positive for the environment.

It will be built, but modified from the original plans -- most things are. I don't see any cause for worry.

Back