Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress St Garage is being sold.

Then we're probably going to see 3 5-10 story buildings with grass and shrubs surrounding. Nearby residents will claim that anything more would be in danger of "reconnecting" the neighborhoods.

Build big.

Build smart.

Build in context.

The site is large enough to do all three.

Suggestions:

Re-imagine Haymarket as a focal point: think Columbus Circle, but on a Boston scale (20-25 stories, residential & restaurants, and a glassy public market/transit hub, fronting the Greenway).

Reestablish Congress Street's street-wall with bars, clubs, and retail.

Go large (800-1000') and bold (Stephen Holl, Zaha Hadid, Ken Yeang) with a tower where the spiral drum and elevators of the garage currently stand -- 15 story hotel podium, and 50-60 floors of offices above.

^^ And don't forget the unicorn hitching posts!

I'm no fan of Trump, but perhaps he'd be able to do something here. My worry is that it would be more brash than bold.

Is it possible for this to remain as parking, or maybe half-parking? This goes against all my morals, I mean, I think we should all live in the city, bike and walk everywhere we need to go, and use ZipCars if we must, but the city desperately needs parking.

I think Boston has enough parking, maybe not enough cheap parking, but there is always availability in garages. My office is very near govt. center. Work often takes me to the suburbs in the morning and I end up driving into Boston and parking for the afternoon. I always find parking in garages. For example, the parcel 7 garage next to the Haymarket vendors is never full during business hours.

You all realize that anything that big will have the people of the North End up in arms, right? 25 stories? Not with a 5 story building across the Greenway. 10 at most, though further in I'm sure you could build them taller.

Bringing back the circle would be nice (I remember there was a proposal to do that in one of the original Greenway designs) but the traffic ramps there will make that mighty difficult.

I won't say that this is nowhere near the North End, but ... it's not in the North End.

I don't think anyone on this forum would argue against your vision. But the purpose of getting rid of the garage is to open up the view towards the triangle and even to North Station. So this talk of building ANYTHING here (especially towers) sort of defeats the purpose, no?

Opening up the view corridor requires only removing the part of the garage that overhangs Congress Street, and ensuring that the air rights above Congress Street are then made permanently off-limits to any new building. With that restriction, any new building(s) here would be a great improvement.

(While I'm on this subject -- the city should never again sell or lease air rights over an ordinary surface street. Air rights developments are fine for expressways and railroads, but they are deadly for streets and neighborhoods.)

I completely disagree. I think the fact that the building is over the road is one if its best features, and there should be more of them like this.

While I wouldn't want a lot of them, I don't find the garage to be that detrimental to the pedestrian experience of Congress Street. Losing the view corridor is unforgiveable, but otherwise I don't have much to complain about.

Back on the topic of how to arrange the site, the eastern half of the property -- where the bus station is -- is by far the smaller of the two plots, which would make a good spot for a hotel or residential tower; for this exercise I'll go with the hotel. It would need a big base for conference facilities, so let's say you put retail on the first floor or two, occupying the same sliver of land that the current ground floor does, have conference rooms cantilevering out over the bus stop on floors three through five, and put a 20-story tower on top of that, making for a building no more than 300 feet tall.

Then on the west side, put up a large office building of around 50 stories on the southern portion, where it's furthest away from the Triangle and North End, and in the west-northwest corner put up a residential tower, 30-40 stories tall. Both towers would sit on a retail podium of 3-5 stories.

It should look something like this. As seen, the office building would have 36k sq ft floorplates, and at 45 stories would yield 1.6m sq ft of rentable area. The hotel, at 20 stories, would contain around 625 rooms.

sdafgdj8.jpg

Last edited:

What kz said.

Someone get Richard Rodgers on the phone.

Don't forget -- this parcel is across the street from the JFK building. Anything the federal government does not like will never get built (see City Hall Plaza).

Everytime I look at this area on Live Search Maps, I nearly projectile vomit all over my living room. I hate seeing the giant parking garage (which I admit, kind of looks cool and like a spaceship from the Greenway) next to that 4 story government low-rise right in the middle of downtown. What chance, if any, is there that we could see development on that 4 story government building?

KZ, your vision of the project is the best and most plausible that I have seen so far...hopefully the parcel that is closer to downtown will be built a bit larger....assuming this site is re-developed at all.

I just walked from the Financial District to Charlestown - I am positively giddy about this development. The garage is such a horror, walking under it, the whole expanse of dead brick plaza and concrete walls... can't wait for it to be gone.

And I never even realized until I arrived in Charlestown what a hole in the skyline it will fill! Although I think the site is big enough for three or four towers, I was able to fake two towers (working in the vaunted design program of Excel)

This is sort of what a 600 and 1000 foot tower might do to the skyline:

1000feet-1.jpg

Last edited:

I agree with the developer - the "berlin wall" analogy is true.

East Berlin approaching Checkpoint Charlie:
17newchardontriangleportrait2.jpg

Nervously walking through the darkened gates as the guards shoot uncomfortable glares:
29UnderGarage.jpg

Freedom! The prosperity of the West beckons you to come and purchase Levis:
32ViewCongress.jpg

MR. MENINO, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!

Removing this would be in line with removing various other elevated edges in Boston over the past few decades: the Charlestown El (Orange Line), the Washington Street El (Orange Line), the Canal-Causeway-Lowell Street El (Green Line), the pedestrian bridges in Charles and Leverett circles, the railroad viaduct through Roxbury and Jamaica Plain, the highway ramps above Charlestown's City Square, and of course the Central Artery.

(And I hope that McGrath Highway in Somerville someday soon joins this list.)

Don't forget -- this parcel is across the street from the JFK building. Anything the federal government does not like will never get built (see City Hall Plaza).

What happens on this site should set the tone for the rest of Congress Street. The Fed's need to be put in check on this one...

I don't understand the reasoning behind the Fed's resistance to building anything tall near their buildings. The Federal Reserve Bank here in Atlanta is to be surrounded, actually towered over, on three sides by high rise residential/hotel/commercial (two are under construction). What's their problem in Boston? Menino needs to tell the Feds to kiss off.

MR. MENINO, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!

That entire post made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

(on a side note: I don't think the word Menino has as much of an effect as Gorbachev)

Back