Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

CW7TE5Z2Q5GCDOD43BKHG5FTTA.jpg

^^^
Poftak displayed the photograph of the column, covered in thick rusty-brown and white discoloration and bolstered by reinforcing steel, during a meeting of the agency’s board of directors. It was discovered last month as part of inspections into the structural integrity of the Government Center Garage, which partially collapsed in late March, killing a construction worker and also shuttering Orange and Green Line service there.

oftak and the MBTA again asserted that each of the seven support columns underneath Haymarket station “are the responsibility of HYM” — and the transit agency intends to hold the developer financially responsible. HYM has already picked up the cost of shuttle buses for riders during the shutdown and bolstering the deteriorated column with two newly constructed support beams, Poftak said.

I guess it's no wonder the developer rolled back plans to build over the station if said station is being held up by sh*t like that!

I'm also a little confused about why maintaining station infrastructure is HYM's responsibility. I'm sure they aren't the ones that let it get that bad down there.

I guess it's no wonder the developer rolled back plans to build over the station if said station is being held up by sh*t like that!

I'm also a little confused about why maintaining station infrastructure is HYM's responsibility. I'm sure they aren't the ones that let it get that bad down there.

They bought the garage from the City - that includes all the liabilities. It's not their fault, but it's their problem.

They bought the garage from the City - that includes all the liabilities. It's not their fault, but it's their problem.

Fair, but nonetheless, the attitude of governing officials is pretty shockingly douchebaggy:

"The MBTA again asserted that each of the seven support columns underneath Haymarket station “are the responsibility of HYM” — and the transit agency intends to hold the developer financially responsible."

Which is to say, "the government transit agency said it would hold the developer who just took control of the station financially responsible for infrastructure issues caused by neglect by the city government that was responsible for the station's infrastructure for decades and the clueless government transit agency that used the station for decades and had no idea the station was falling apart in the most fundamental way."

What a bunch of incompetent jerks.

^I'm pretty sure they bought the garage a long time ago...

But these columns are underneath the station, not in the garage. I kind of get what was said before about “owning the liability” but it just seems like they’d be out of scope for garage maintenance.

Seems like a years-long Dig Dig-style project dismantling this garage with all those issues that seem to just keep on surfacing!! :eek:

Back