Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

40C174E5-0DD1-462C-9286-9A76820634F9.jpeg

I don't frequent here - is there substantial progress on the demolition of the garage? Was hoping there'd be a mobile crane or two to get things really moving if they were going to have a few weeks of uninterrupted access to demolish what's over the tunnels...

But these columns are underneath the station, not in the garage. I kind of get what was said before about “owning the liability” but it just seems like they’d be out of scope for garage maintenance.
The columns are part of the garage. Who owns the garage, owns the columns,

So the MBTA wouldn’t need any structural support there if there was just a park on top of Haymarket?
Before the garage was built, I assume the tunnels at Haymarket had enough support for the small buildings and streets above, just like the rest of the GL and OL subways of the same vintage. So, I assume the columns were part of the GC garage construction, added to deflect the massive weight of the GC Garage away from the tunnels.

Hi everyone, I saw this forum mentioned on the skyscraperpage.com forum so thought I'd post here. My husband and I spent about a week in Boston/Provincetown - some nice projects going up, including the Bulfinch tower. Snapped this on the ferry returning to Boston from Provincetown.
BostonSSP8.jpg

Are people really unaware that was the whole point of the Olympic bid?!!! Force infrastructure improvements via a defined deadline that would then be used for regional growth.

Ok, but what if Boston rolled the dice, got some real infrastructure improvements funded and in the pipeline, and then was selected? The Olympics create far more problems for the host city than they directly or indirectly solve, and the IOC's contract terms ensures this will continue, so I don't believe bidding is a sound way to force improvements, unless it's feasible and cheap to decline once chosen.

Back