Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

The Green Line is closing for a month from mid-September. I guess that answers the question about whether any work happens while trains are running: Nope.

Yes, the entire green line, all the way out to Riverside ; )

Translation: the North Station to Gov. Center segment will be closed for 24 days starting 9/18

Will the OL remain running from North Station through to State?

Nothing to do with the man's politics - - generally I thought he was pretty good. Particularly though, he had an antipathy to public transportation and he conducted his transpo policy as such. His 8 years were a disaster for the T and his appointments showed his lack of interest.

It ain't political. It's transportational.

Public transportation is very political though- 1 side is staunchly, vehemently against it while trying to keep that on the downlow as much as possible and the other side is lukewarm at best on it.

Back to the purpose of this thread, we need to give the original engineers/construction teams oodles of credit for building the most robust garage in the history of man here. This thing could have lasted a 1000 years

Yes, it will just bypass Haymarket.

These closures render the GLX effectively useless if you want to reliably get anywhere within a certain window of time. The headways drop to ~20 minutes.

Plus, there aren't even any timetables or realtime departue info during the diversions. The trip planners still show 7 min headways when that's not true.

Still blows my mind the MBTA built a subway line extension, and can't even get any departure time information until the train has already left the station. The proximit app has GLX stations now, but they show up blank for departure times southbound until Gilman Sq. or East Somerville.

The garage remains look really strange from above:
PXL_20230830_165955593.jpg

Some articles about the design and construction of the Government Center Garage from 1968 and 1970:

And a very prescient anti-garage editorial from 1971:

Some articles about the design and construction of the Government Center Garage from 1968 and 1970:

And a very prescient anti-garage editorial from 1971:
RIP Mr. Menzies - we miss your insights.

Any chance this demo has taken so long that the powers that be (i.e. those with the $) have realized that a lab here is not the best use of this prominent space? I know it is a huge long shot but labs elsewhere are getting scraped or at least rethought.

Any chance this demo has taken so long that the powers that be (i.e. those with the $) have realized that a lab here is not the best use of this prominent space? I know it is a huge long shot but labs elsewhere are getting scraped or at least rethought.

I don't think the motives here need to go beyond "a worker died and the T had to do an emergency shutdown". That's plenty of reason to go slow.

I don't think the motives here need to go beyond "a worker died and the T had to do an emergency shutdown". That's plenty of reason to go slow.
I think his question supposes the inverse causality of your response. He's asking "did demo take so long that the lab market has tanked and now they'll have to change the design?" not "did they take a long time with the demo because they wanted to the lab market to crash?"

Back