Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Would be pretty cool if they kept that last bit and stuck it on the greenway out in front of the building like an itsukushima shrine.

View attachment 43759
Or as a tribute to Star Wars:

star-wars-battlefront-ii-screenshot-3_81168da9.jpeg

Not sure what this means for the future of the parcel, but I heard from a source that the entire development team at HYM responsible for the lab building was fired. Maybe they will try to sell off that piece or wait and see and come back with a different proposal but luckily that ugly lab building is no more.

Nobody wants to be hear about people losing their jobs, but I hope some better use can be made of this parcel.

Honestly, I'd accept a vacant lot that could host pop-up markets, concerts, etc. for the time being. As long as HYM doesn't fence it off and tries to program it. This would be a great spot for something like Starlight Square in Cambridge or a food truck market.

Honestly, I'd accept a vacant lot that could host pop-up markets, concerts, etc. for the time being. As long as HYM doesn't fence it off and tries to program it. This would be a great spot for something like Starlight Square in Cambridge or a food truck market.
Yeah, something like the many multi-purpose "lawns" in the Seaport (yoga, beer garden, sesaonal retail stalls, cornhole, bocci, etc.) would be great here, especially with the new residential that's gone up in the immediate area.

Did the new plan officially scrap the smaller residential tower that was to be built in front of the Sudbury?

Whatever ends up here I hope they bring back the canal st pedestrian walkway extension. That was my favorite part of the original proposal. In the meantime I definitely agree that a patch of grass would be perfectly fine for the time being.

How easy has it been to demolish?
What I was wondering is: if the current garage was built over the GL, why can't its replacement also be built over the GL? Hopefully it would be 50-100 years before the new building(s) would be demolished.

The T is a lot more picky about the things impinging on the tunnel than folks in the 1960s were. Back then, the subway was the past. If it burned down, fell over, and sank into the Fens, they wouldn’t care as much as today.

What I was wondering is: if the current garage was built over the GL, why can't its replacement also be built over the GL? Hopefully it would be 50-100 years before the new building(s) would be demolished.

I mean it more in the sense that building it will be as awful for the MBTA as demolishing the garage. As RandomWalk said, they won't allow it.

I mean it more in the sense that building it will be as awful for the MBTA as demolishing the garage. As RandomWalk said, they won't allow it.
That's reasonable. A new plaza to cover the GL footprint isn't the end of the world, although my preference would be a much smaller plaza than has been planned, as the RKG and City Hall Plaza are already nearby.

That's reasonable. A new plaza to cover the GL footprint isn't the end of the world, although my preference would be a much smaller plaza than has been planned, as the RKG and City Hall Plaza are already nearby.

Bear in mind that the plaza as proposed includes a fairly large bus station.

Good news for the dismantling of the garage buried at the end of the MBTA lines "shutdown plan" story from this morning!!!

"........Also on Thursday, Eng service disruptions in downtown Boston to accommodate the dismantling of the Government Center Garage by HYM, a private developer, are winding down.

Eng said the T has reached an agreement with HYM to finish work that has required the agency to suspend subway service near the construction site.

HYM will do the work over 20 days when the T will be suspending Green Line service to repair tracks and eliminate slow zones. The first installment will unfold over nine days tentatively scheduled to begin on Nov. 27, and the last part of the work will be completed over 11 days, Eng said.

After that work is completed, there will be no further service disruptions due to work dismantling the Government Center Garage, Eng said."

Back