Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress St Garage is being sold.

It will happen...but not until we slog through the next 5-10 years of recovery from this recession and the inflation that is inevitable after printing all these trillions of dollars, pounds, yen, etc. worldwide. The financial decision for future borrowing for such large projects will most likely be in the hands of the Chinese, who alone will have the money to spend after this current debacle.

"The financial decision for future borrowing for such large projects will most likely be in the hands of the Chinese, who alone will have the money to spend after this current debacle."

China's currency and banking system is so heavily manipulated and fraudulently represented that they are going to be just as poor, if not poorer, than the rest of the industrialized world following a global meltdown. The ecological, political, and demographic storm in China has only been held at bay by foreign investment. The second the money stops flowing in, expect the world's biggest bubble to pop, and it won't be pretty. If you don't believe me, do a search on labor unrest in China following recent factory shutdowns and Chinese bank panics.

When all of that happens, expect the Western world to be shocked at having to pay more for all formerly cheap manufactured goods, and new or resurgent manufacturing industries to pop up in unexpected places.

To be honest, I think India is going to pop out of nowhere as the next global power when more the half the world was trying to play nice with the dragon. Dubai will be an empty urban amusement park of derelict sculpture, while Lahore gets the next world's tallest.

Next meeting date anounced:

Next Meeting:
Topic: Architectural Competition Visuals
December 17, 2008, 6:00-7:30pm
OPEN HOUSE
The public is welcome. Please enter at the One Congress Street entrance at the corner of New Chardon and Merrimac/Congress Streets, and remember to bring photo ID for building security.
http://demolishthegarage.com/meetings.htm

nice thanks for the update!

It will be nice if they reveal the renderings of each architectural firm at the meeting.

Anyone going to the meeting tonight? I'm gonna try to be there.

It should be very exciting to see all these different... I want to go, but am not sure if I will have the time - such a busy time of the year at work and at home.

If they allow it can someone take pictures of the models and post them on here?

Thanks a BUNCH in advance if it is possible.

I second that motion.

I'm sure there'll be a PowerPoint or a .pdf uploaded to the development team's website. Because there are Federal offices in the building, and the grief they give you just to get inside, I opted to leave the camera at home. I have my Treo -- we'll see how those pics look.

I think the only restriction on cameras in federal buildings is that you can't take them into courtrooms.

Oh Ron, you and your September 10th mentality. Don't you know the rules don't mean anything anymore? Don't let the terrorists win.

I've heard of folks (on this board) being bum-rushed from the garage for photographing the JFK Building and City Hall. I believe the regional offices of the EPA are (or were) in the building, so there's always the fear of the Earth Liberation Front carrying out a direct action.

They have airport-style security in the lobby. They tossed my bag and made me boot up my laptop at the last meeting I attended. So the camera is at home.

Its like living in a world where cell phones with 3mp cameras do not exist

When I visited the Bankruptcy Court a few years ago, I recall a sign requiring people to check their cellphones at the security gate, probably for this reason. (No, I wasn't filing.)

I've heard of folks (on this board) being bum-rushed from the garage for photographing the JFK Building and City Hall. I believe the regional offices of the EPA are (or were) in the building, so there's always the fear of the Earth Liberation Front carrying out a direct action.

They have airport-style security in the lobby. They tossed my bag and made me boot up my laptop at the last meeting I attended. So the camera is at home.

This is true. I was told to "delete my photos" while taking a picture of 1 Beacon from across the street (there are federal offices inside)! I've also walked in and forgotten to pick up my visitors pass or check in at the desk and had them let me in w/o question so I guess it depends on where you go/ who you deal with.

When I visited the Bankruptcy Court a few years ago, I recall a sign requiring people to check their cellphones at the security gate, probably for this reason. (No, I wasn't filing.)

Courthouses do not allow cell phones but thats because of the calling feature, not the pictures.

When I went to the Dorchester court for Jury duty, I walked in with ym camera and call phone. While phones were banned, jurors were allowed to have their phones. Nothing was said about my camera (which I carry at all times)

State courts don't have a rule against cameras and video. Federal ones do, which is why you never see live or taped coverage of a federal trial on TV.

Who wants to see some shitty cellphone pix of the proposals?

Back