Bunker Hill Mall Apartments | 201 Rutherford Avenue | Charlestown

Wow, compact units means small...I thought new trend was bigger units and outdoor space ?

Also, doesn’t single out 99 but to me this clearly means it’s closing...

FINALLY some movement on this huge plot. Totally underutilized access to the Community College stop and soon to be full Cambridge Crossing. Surprised it's housing and not office/lab space. This project has so much potential!

1. Love that they're planning to give Main Street some actual storefronts.
1596484009961.png

2. Will be interesting to see how this fits with other plans in the area. Rutherford Ave blvd-ation - looks like the new housing will be constructed nearest to the T, and in front of the building will be the new bike trail.
1596482809862.png

3. WalkBoston has been targeting the little split off of Austin Street to expand Preservation Park into an actual usable space.
1596483115200.png

And just for fun... the old street grid compared to the strip mall.
1596483680477.png
1596483765121.png

Finally. This parking lot next to the Orange Line is a perfect place to grow.

Any bets on how long it will be until more of the parking lot is filled in with housing? Seems like such a waste today. Put the parking underground and build on top of it.

That’s huge...looks like everyone’s walk to the orange line just got longer.

From the PDF it looks like the restaurant is staying and it's a pretty tight fit. Couple units might have a window with no view. Like you might be able to use the roof as an exit or entry.

So 99 is staying ?

never mind I see it now...why would they build it like that ? 99 refuse to leave ? Seems very inefficient.

Last edited:
My big takeaway from those renders is how messed up the area is. You'd still have the massive parking lot for the mall and the pedestrian experience would be bad along Austin and Rutherford still. We need a lot more infill to fix this area up.

Surprised they're not showing pedestrian improvements (and a better connection to the bridge over Rutherford ave). That could be a huge selling point.

My big takeaway from those renders is how messed up the area is. You'd still have the massive parking lot for the mall

Parking lot for the Mall is probally not going anywhere unless they ditch the Mall. Esp with the Whole Foods there.

the filing states that further changes will be coming as leases expire.
check out the quote picked out by UHub:

Good catch!

The quote: “After completion of the Proposed Project, further redevelopment of the overall approximately 6-acre Bunker Hill Mall site may proceed in the future over several years, only as allowed by long-term leases in place for existing retail tenants and depending on market conditions or other factors. Currently, long-term leases are in place for much of the retail at the Bunker Hill Mall, anchored by Whole Foods and the 99 Restaurant. Beyond the timeframe of the leases, further development of the Bunker Hill Mall site could deliver approximately 250 multifamily residences above newly constructed ground floor retail uses.”

Still don’t understand why they would build like that around the 99. Seems like a lose/lose between the restaurant and developer.

Still don’t understand why they would build like that around the 99. Seems like a lose/lose between the restaurant and developer.

Other than taking parking spaces it doesn't affect restaurant operations.

Pure speculation: seems like more of a power play to me. They probably asked 99 to forego their lease, they said nahhhh. Developer has the space so are calling their bluff and saying it can get started anyway.
1611186093672.png

1611186130169.png

Prediction? 99 moves into the first floor retail space on a discounted rent, and the restaurant turns into a pretty nice courtyard.

Last edited:

Back