Cambria Hotel | 515 Somerville Ave | Union Sq | Somerville

It should be obvious by now that I love this project. Like, it’s cool how they incorporated a bench on the sidewalk - very neighborly of them. But what’s with those pvc vent pipes?? If someone asked, “where’s the worst place we could put these exhaust pipes?” The answer would be, “I know, right above that bench where people will sit and linger for a while.”

8D1220B9-F46B-4215-9372-0F3B8B240A6C.jpeg

Kind of a head scratcher, no?

Nothing says ‘hotel’ like disheveled curtains.

617B5A57-7E4A-4E6D-858C-22B15502E6EB.jpeg

Also, from afar, this roof is just crazy awful. Looks like an oil refinery on top. Really unfortunate. Is this just what it takes to let developers build around town - to not have more scrutiny of roof designs? I guarantee whatever is up there was not in the approved drawing.

5B7CFBD9-AAA2-488D-B96A-72F4B792BD76.jpeg

@moderators: there’s no doubt we could fill dozens of pages of a dedicated thread to rooftops gone wrong.

Didn't catch a picture, but landscaping along Laurel St is going in. Also, there's a liquor license application in the window for a full bar, apparently the restaurant is going to be called Josephine's. Didn't recognize the name of the applicant LLC though.

And did some googling, apparently Michael Scelfo is involved (Alden and Harlow, Waypoint, Longfellow).

Nice write-up in the Globe, positive review so far. Not a whole lotta new details (like what’s the restaurant going to be), but some good nuggets like a final price tag of $70M, and yet decent room rates, and some good nods to Somerville history and neighborhood vibe.

075441B7-8491-4877-990B-72E3BBB39406.jpeg

Nice write-up in the Globe, positive review so far. Not a whole lotta new details (like what’s the restaurant going to be), but some good nuggets like a final price tag of $70M, and yet decent room rates, and some good nods to Somerville history and neighborhood vibe.

View attachment 24576

The article implies a game room that's open to the public. A place for board games, or an arcade?

The article implies a game room that's open to the public. A place for board games, or an arcade?

it'd be dope if this place had a public area with darts/pool -- esp since all the previous "old school" ville spots (khoury's, paddock -- RIP) are no longer with us.

So I noticed that the Cambria put in juneberries/serviceberries/saskatoons as part of the landscaping along Laurel St.

Does anybody know if Somerville or the state requires soil remediation for large projects like this?

I'm trying to figure out if the berries would be safe to eat.

So I noticed that the Cambria put in juneberries/serviceberries/saskatoons as part of the landscaping along Laurel St.

Does anybody know if Somerville or the state requires soil remediation for large projects like this?

I'm trying to figure out if the berries would be safe to eat.

I'm surprised they planted berries. I would think berries are a food source that would attract rats and mice.

Are these stick-on mullions?! They seem to keep falling off. Another cherry picker on site the last few days re-affixing them along all facades. You can see some windows are missing them altogether, some only missing the vertical pieces. Are faux mullions a thing??

67E71C4C-EF97-4FE1-A05F-7F80AB051FD9.jpeg
08EED7E1-2392-4080-88B2-1545F45F17E2.jpeg

The building looks great but I think the front sidewalk overhang needs more architectural lighting because right now it looks like the hotel is closed. There is still some construction fencing on the front sidewalk, they must be still working on some punchlist items.
IMG_9934.JPG
IMG_9935.JPG
IMG_9942.JPG

Back