Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

Right. These are pretty much the prints they gave us last year (greater detail, however). The only thing that looks different is the dense area of reclaimed seawall on the pond's north side. Originally, that was to be one level leading to a larger grassy area, then on to the retail. I like this better.

And, thankfully they decided not to include "a cellphone store". No, really: they presented that at the meeting (next to the cafe). I think that proposal died right there, though, judging from the groans and passive-aggressive "you've gotta be kidding me" utterances...

Also ... the Lechmere MBTA parking lot is closed! Well, there's one minivan still there that hasn't been towed as of 2338hrs, but nobody else is home.

lab.jpg

Neoscape_HYMNorthPoint_OfficeBlock_V1_FINAL.jpg

Neoscape_HYMNorthPoint_Park_V1_FINAL.jpg

NorthPoint-Parcel-W-Development-New-Retail-East-Cambridge-NorthPoint-Common-DivcoWest.jpg

Last edited:

Site preparation is active almost everywhere, including completion of the first block of utilities for the Northpoint BLVD extension to First ST and the extension of North ST from the Child ST loop at Twenty|20.

Connections for several parcels have been made, and Lot JK is nearly completely dredged. The Eastern Sea (which held water since last Thanksgiving), otherwise known as Lots L and M, is completely filled.

Before the holiday, they slashed a number of the park's trees (including some which were > 40ft) to aid construction of the North ST extension.

I'll add some more elevation shots this week, since work is site wide now, bookended by non-Northpoint properties (Zinc & T|20).

Thanks so much for the information Equilibria and Ivyhedge. After all of the setbacks it is nice to see the plans moving forward again. I especially like the interactions that the buildings will have with the Gilmore Bridge. Work continues on repairing the supports underneath the bridge. It definitely needed a lot of maintenance work.

Here are some images to keep you abreast of Northpoint construction...

Summary: lots of site preparation and work on Lots R, W, Q1, JK, and LM; infrastructure progressing (water/sewer continues; gas is onsite tonight and tomorrow, 14 Sep).

From 11 September:

Wdw1nrGh.jpg

-Looking north northeast. The compacted area in the lower left is the remnants of the MBTA lot. That is Lot R. The section of road immediately behind it (look for the large concrete wastewater handling system, mostly hidden) will be East First Street. The two white covered piles define a partial border of Lots Q1 and Q2. The road extending northeast to Zinc is Northpoint BLVD, first intersecting East First, and then intersecting Water & Dawes Streets to become West BLVD. To the right of the near twin excavators (which just buried more piping than I've ever seen) is Lot W, the minor retail section that will cap the park's north end.

5is83aJh.jpg

-Looking east. The green fencing defines the northern 1/3 of the park that is closed and now unwatered. The ponds are drained, many trees were cut, and one of the drumlins has been leveled (completely, as of 14 Sep, just like in SimCity). Behind that is Lot JK, the only lot technically about to rise. There are spreader supports at the top and bottom (difficult to see in this image), and when excavators are in the site, you can only see the tops of their bucket arms. Just beyond the leveled drumlin, you can see the formatting for North Street, which will include a cobbled crossing section. As of 14 Sep, the cobbles are actually *in* the closed section of the park. And they are large.

QEOzscYh.jpg

-Looking east southeast. What we called "The Eastern Sea", Lot LM's permanently water filled pit, was completely graded during the past two weeks. Look back a few inches to see BeeLine's image with the "J Derenzo Co." roller: that is looking northeast from Lot N's section of North Street at the Child Street intersection. It had been temporarily capped by fencing and small plants but is now open.

Q9clPWNh.jpg

-Panoramic shot of the zone which displays everything that I discussed in the images above.

From 13 September:

iMNVcjhh.jpg

-Noteworthy in this shot is the reach of Northpoint BLVD and Western BLVD. In fact, in the last few days, workers shrank the "excess eastern parking lot" that had served Zinc (22 Water Street) since its opening as visitor parking. Site preparation for the long term, Lots A & B, are the result of that peeling back (demolition) of the parking lot. Another lot down!!

As a refresher, DivCo West aims to complete Lots JK, W, and Q1 within the next 1.5 years. Lots LM and I should come next, with Q2, and V taking shape as the Green Line viaduct is completed (so those are probably a good amount of time in the future).

Hope this was helpful.

^Thank you so much for the pictures, analysis, and update!

Awesome thanks.

That retail pavilion actually looks pretty cool, too.

Thanks for taking the time to give us these photos!

As a refresher, DivCo West aims to complete Lots JK, W, and Q1 within the next 1.5 years. Lots LM and I should come next, with Q2, and V taking shape as the Green Line viaduct is completed (so those are probably a good amount of time in the future).

Thanks so much!

Where does Lot R fall on the timeline? It seems like that one would be critical for completing the area around the park and for connecting the new development to the rest of the city.

Thanks so much!

Where does Lot R fall on the timeline? It seems like that one would be critical for completing the area around the park and for connecting the new development to the rest of the city.

Hi, Poolio!

I agree. However, the original timeline given for R was after the new viaduct. That would put it around the time that Q1, Q2, and V are completed.

As far as I have heard, DivCo is relying on S/T/N/JK/L-M and and their accompanying employees, dwellers, and retail additions to activate this section of East Cambridge.

Until Route 28 is shrunken, the viaduct is revised, Lot V is finished, and (East) First Street meanders into Northpoint, we'll still be somewhat disconnected. But we'll be so with retail, jobs, and more residents (aka "stuff").

A small construction team worked at the intersection of Northpoint BLVD and East Street until 1945hrs tonight! The cop who was assisting had some real personality. Had to have been a long gig.

What you see:

That flattened section of road will be the extension of Northpoint BLVD, with East ST as the first intersection, First ST as the second, and Water the third. At Zinc, Northpoint BLVD will become West BLVD and serve (large) Lots A&B, residential, slated for late development.

mSMWMdCh.jpg

as I understand it, parcels N, S, and T are the only completed parcels for NorthPoint, correct?

as I understand it, parcels N, S, and T are the only completed parcels for NorthPoint, correct?

Correct, Golden.

Please check out up thread...the diagram you presented is one of the older designs we saw in 2014 (for example, Lots J & K were distinct, the street grid had yet to evolve into the current version, and the plans for the retail pavilion were undecided).

The Lot G & H news surprises me. Those really vague drawings were something we saw at a presentation years ago. My guess is whatever is "being considered" is something we haven't been shown. But it might hit unexpectedly, much as EF's new design did (circus city!).

In other news, the workers obliterated our largest drumlin on Thursday and Friday. Astounding. I will try to post befor/after images tomorrow.

The Lot G & H news surprises me. Those really vague drawings were something we saw at a presentation years ago. My guess is whatever is "being considered" is something we haven't been shown. But it might hit unexpectedly, much as EF's new design did (circus city!).

Ivy - the design review documents for G and H were submitted on 9/11, according to the City (scroll down):

http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/zoninganddevelopment/specialpermits/specialpermits

Are the drawings in those PDFs the same vague ones you remember? Also, I don't see anything on there for E and F... what have you seen?

Back