Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

That Marriott looks like it was designed by a first year arch intern. Let's have a cornice to make it safe but only put it one place so the rest looks cheap and boxy.

WHY did they rip out those beautiful flowering trees in Kendall Square? I met a friend for dinner over their last night and was shocked and saddened.

I thought the same thing. Cambridge needs some higher density buildings in the right spots.

I'm so glad that Cambridge NIMBYs have a new study to wave around when they're fighting development.

I'm so glad that Cambridge NIMBYs have a new study to wave around when they're fighting development.

Yea but this "study" came from Corlone who is extremely anti development. He might be a smart guy with good ideas but I don't trust him at all, it feels like he used his background in urban planning to glom onto Cambridge's NIMBY wing and get elected. Granted I don't think his opponents (like the people at "A Better Cambridge") have any more credibility - the issue is too politicized to have a reasonable discussion or trust any "experts" opinions or figures. Everybody claims to want the same thing - more affordable housing - yet the ideas on how to get there vary wildly. It's a mess. That said I'm very much in favor of Mass and Main being built and I think few people object to that project itself but rather the process that it needs to get approval - developer initiated zoning change proposals. Personally I don't think that's a big deal compared to actually getting stuff built. Some people though will find anything they can to oppose a developer and make a lot of noise about it. Like it's in their DNA.

I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably construct a precise estimate on the number of units needed to stabilize housing prices for something as localized as Cambridge.

At the end of the day, it is a smallish city in a metro area of almost 5 million people. Conceivably, Cambridge's supply/demand is a function of the Greater Boston market for close in urban living. This depends on regional job growth, consumer preferences, and what its peers (Brookline, Boston, and Somerville, and maybe some of the inner ring suburbs) are doing with supply. Consumer preferences seems especially hard to forecast. Particularly since urban development tends to make a place more attractive and raises demand in the adjacent area.

Obviously, more housing is a good thing for Greater Boston. As the only way to tackle the housing shortage is to 1) build more housing or 2) make Bos/Cambridge less desirable. But, I don't know how anyone can determine the exact number with any sort of specificity.

UPDATE: In fairness, they cited a range of 3,000-6,000. But, even that seems way too precise. Given the size of the MSA, 30k affluent households in the burbs wanting to move into the core wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. Or alternately, an uptick in affluent couples deciding to stay in the core vs. move out the burbs could also result in a big swing in demand.

Last edited:
Well the actual range is from 3,100 to 6,100 units from what I read. That is a huge range it is a difference of 3,000 units so it's clearly not very precise.

Wow... That looks very sterile. The awnings make it look like something out of Gateway Center up in Everett.

Wow, that is horrible. It is not the ugly but the banal that I find to be most offensive.

Ouch ... this reaks of "get it done".

cca

Back