Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

riffgo

Reaction score
Right, Ron. That looks to be the Koch Institute Building at MIT. I'm pretty sure.

Merper

Reaction score
glass is going up at Koch, and I think the Mormon project is moving very fast....

Bubbybu

Reaction score
that looks awesome!

I havent been in that area for a few years now....how's the retail situation of the area? Not the Cambridgeside Galleria but the local retail?

Ron Newman

Reaction score
Very little retail in Kendall Square proper -- MIT Press Bookstore, MIT Coop, a couple of banks, some lunch places. There used to be an independent drugstore, but it closed and wasn't replaced with anything useful. (Hey, CVS! This is one place where your arrival would be quite welcome. You are everywhere else so why not here?)

'One Kendall Square', a few blocks away, has the cinema and a whole bunch of bars and restaurants, but still no real retail.

crash575

Reaction score
MIT is building something over the Grand Junction Railroad adjacent to the steam plant. More than likely it's related to the plant but it's nice to see the railroad slowly being covered up.

kz1000ps

Reaction score
All the MIT projects should really be posted in the MIT thread......

Here's the Mormon place on 8/16:

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Cambridge Public Library addition... this one seemed to rise under everyone's radar, but it looks to be one of the better buildings put up recently. It's not open yet, so no idea what the interior's like:

Beton Brut

Reaction score
Richard Meier on a budget. I don't mind it. The finishes look nice.

cca

Reaction score
Meier? Ann Behe at her best I would say, and not on a budget either. I have to say that I ride past this building every day and think has to be in the running for the best designed building in the BMA in at least a couple of years. Its a shame that it does not get any attention. Beha + Assoc. does some very fine work. I will be a proud care carrying memeber as soon as they open the doors.

cca

Bubbybu

Reaction score
That library is terrific!

Gropius couldn't have done a better job....

It's so perfectly Bauhaus...

sidewalks

Reaction score
It's a beautiful building, but I would have liked it to have picked up SOME design cues from its neighbor. Even if the architect had tried to match the color of the stone it might have lent some harmony to the site.

cca

Reaction score
Even if the architect had tried to match the color of the stone it might have lent some harmony to the site.
Your looking at the same picture I am right? That is the same stone cut differently. Is it not? (and about 130 years difference in exposure)

cca

sidewalks

Reaction score
Perhaps it is the same stone...if it simply needs weathering, then I applaud the choice.