Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Right, Ron. That looks to be the Koch Institute Building at MIT. I'm pretty sure.

glass is going up at Koch, and I think the Mormon project is moving very fast....

today
002-8.jpg
003-15.jpg
004-15.jpg
005-10.jpg

that looks awesome!

I havent been in that area for a few years now....how's the retail situation of the area? Not the Cambridgeside Galleria but the local retail?

Very little retail in Kendall Square proper -- MIT Press Bookstore, MIT Coop, a couple of banks, some lunch places. There used to be an independent drugstore, but it closed and wasn't replaced with anything useful. (Hey, CVS! This is one place where your arrival would be quite welcome. You are everywhere else so why not here?)

'One Kendall Square', a few blocks away, has the cinema and a whole bunch of bars and restaurants, but still no real retail.

MIT is building something over the Grand Junction Railroad adjacent to the steam plant. More than likely it's related to the plant but it's nice to see the railroad slowly being covered up.

All the MIT projects should really be posted in the MIT thread......

Here's the Mormon place on 8/16:

dscn2017zfc.jpg

Cambridge Public Library addition... this one seemed to rise under everyone's radar, but it looks to be one of the better buildings put up recently. It's not open yet, so no idea what the interior's like:

dscn2018q.jpg

dscn2019.jpg

dscn2020w.jpg

dscn2021i.jpg

dscn2022.jpg

dscn2023l.jpg

Richard Meier on a budget. I don't mind it. The finishes look nice.

Meier? Ann Behe at her best I would say, and not on a budget either. I have to say that I ride past this building every day and think has to be in the running for the best designed building in the BMA in at least a couple of years. Its a shame that it does not get any attention. Beha + Assoc. does some very fine work. I will be a proud care carrying memeber as soon as they open the doors.

cca

That library is terrific!

Gropius couldn't have done a better job....

It's so perfectly Bauhaus...

It's a beautiful building, but I would have liked it to have picked up SOME design cues from its neighbor. Even if the architect had tried to match the color of the stone it might have lent some harmony to the site.

Even if the architect had tried to match the color of the stone it might have lent some harmony to the site.

Your looking at the same picture I am right? That is the same stone cut differently. Is it not? (and about 130 years difference in exposure)

cca

Perhaps it is the same stone...if it simply needs weathering, then I applaud the choice.

Back