Cambridge Street Reconstruction II

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
As was noted at the Greening of Government Center Part 2 at Suffolk's Modern Theater, Cambridge Street reconstruction is on it's way. And I do believe it has begun today as a section of sidewalk encompassing Government Center Station has been blocked off and they're carving up the sidewalk with a circular saw and removing it, including the curb.

From what I saw at the Greening of GC presentation way back when, the street will be tree-lined and they stand to gain 14 feet of sidewalk/plaza (no on-street parking?).

Hopefully it will call for better street lighting, as in more lights and brighter lights.

I have a correction to make. After walking by yesterday, it appears that the work I saw was merely to replace existing sidewalk, improve the road cut out for the sidewalk/City Hall Plaza, and install a bike share station. I didn't take time to stop and look, but I saw what I think may have been the little pay station. I didn't see any racks.

The bike share stations require no installation.

The bike share stations require no installation.

I have absolutely no idea what they're doing then. There's a couple short poles with garbage bags put over them and some box-thing.

I think this is right in front of the JFK building, could it be some kind of security related construction?

I was going to ask what they were doing at the JFK. Some serious scaffolding going up. Ain't no window washing.

A few years ago, they talked about building an entrance to the Government Center subway station in front of the JFK building as they are going to close Bowdoin station. I wonder if this could be part of the project.

A few years ago, they talked about building an entrance to the Government Center subway station in front of the JFK building as they are going to close Bowdoin station. I wonder if this could be part of the project.

The concourse/stairs actually already exist. It was the former Hanover St. exit that was paved over when the urban renewal took place (which effectively shortened Hanover St). All they have to do is reopen the hole in the ground. I sincerely hope that this is what they're doing (to avoid a catastrophic full GC closure), but it has not been mentioned recently.

The scaffolding is climbing up the side of the tower so I assume it is some sort of facade and/or windows project.

Just wanted to poke in since the other day I went by for the first time in a while and saw whatever they installed. They look like electric gas pumps??? IDK, I was practically running by and didn't have time to look. But it is almost as if they placed 2 traffic light control boxes, a couple electric parking meters, and two weird gas pumps or something? I haven't seen anything like it, so I'm clueless really. I'm getting really annoyed trying to think of what it was, I wish I had just stopped for a moment...

They are electric charging stations for EVs. So the environmentally smug crowd rich enough enough to afford an all electric car can now get a free recharge and parking on Bostonian's dime while throwing back cocktails at the Kinsale. Not that I wouldn't mind free solar charging stations complimentary with metered parking here and there, but an outright giveaway is ridiculous.

I fully expect them to be fully of Government Motor's Volts with city/state plates during the workday. Cabbies in line rechargeable hybrids could probably save a lot of cash abusing the Hell out of the stations as well.

They are electric charging stations for EVs. So the environmentally smug crowd rich enough enough to afford an all electric car can now get a free recharge and parking on Bostonian's dime while throwing back cocktails at the Kinsale. Not that I wouldn't mind free solar charging stations complimentary with metered parking here and there, but an outright giveaway is ridiculous.

I fully expect them to be fully of Government Motor's Volts with city/state plates during the workday. Cabbies in line rechargeable hybrids could probably save a lot of cash abusing the Hell out of the stations as well.

Luddite. :)

I'd have no problem with charging stations being built into new smart meter systems. But giving the store away for free is silly. What's next "free" CNG or hydrogen for high performance no emissions vehicles?

What's to stop people from Cambridge from driving over the bridge and recharging their cars on the dime of Boston taxpayers?

I'd rather have freeloading Cantabrigians than more gasoline vehicles in the world.

So you think it's fine for all the Boston residents whom don't own cars to be paying taxes so that affluent people from Cambridge (or other more suburban locales) can charge expensive electrical vehicles for free?

You are, of course, assuming there are no government subsidies of oil companies. I'm not sure that is actually the case.

I look fat but only b/c I had just eaten 11 scoops of ice cream at the Scooper Bowl.

lectric.png

Back