CambridgeSide Galleria Reno/Redev | First Street | East Cambridge

Brick complete, space left above for precast headers
IMG_0269.JPG

Granite or precast sill?
IMG_0268.JPG

Looks like there is more brick work than originally designed.
IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

Looks like masonry clean up. That over hang to the left is interesting. I guess they want to squeeze every bit of square footage out of this project.
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

Neat effect at the extruded window frames.
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG

Non-descript black box set back from masonry façade. Great way to hide the overall mass of the building. JMA got to leave there mark. Sign of a proud installer.
IMG_0211.JPG

Is the Cambridge bank of the Charles the most wasted space in metro Boston? I once had a friend ask me where he and his group could eat in Cambridge with a view of Boston. I was shocked by the fact that I didn't have any suggestions for him.

Is the Cambridge bank of the Charles the most wasted space in metro Boston? I once had a friend ask me where he and his group could eat in Cambridge with a view of Boston. I was shocked by the fact that I didn't have any suggestions for him.

Is that your only criterion? The Cambridge shoreline includes hotels, office buildings, parks, and academic buildings. All have lovely views.

Is that your only criterion? The Cambridge shoreline includes hotels, office buildings, parks, and academic buildings. All have lovely views.

The "park" is a median strip, the office buildings and academic buildings are hostile to the public, and even if any of the buildings were welcoming, they're separated from the water by 150 feet of traffic.

Haven't seen in person, but based on the photos this has got to be some of the best 'post-WWII' brick I've ever seen. It's all new, right?

Yea, it's new hand-laid brick. Not panelized on this building.

There used to be a Davio's at the Royal Sonesta Hotel that had a patio with nice Boston views. I'm pretty sure that Davio's location closed, but the restaurant is probably still there as part of the hotel. You are correct for restaurants with views across the river to Boston. The one in the Royal Sonesta Hotel is the ONLY one that I can think of. The Hyatt Regency Cambridge probably has a nice view too. They used to have a rotating restaurant on the top floor, but again...........not sure if that is still there.

Oh wow - what a shame that it's no more. Any idea why the Hyatt didn't replace The Spinnaker with another restaurant? What's there now? (Does the room still rotate?!)

From the link that @bigpicture7 included, they removed the rotating floor and it's now a function room for the hotel. I only went there a few times as Spinnaker, and it was the Boston area's only rotating restaurant.

Oh wow - what a shame that it's no more. Any idea why the Hyatt didn't replace The Spinnaker with another restaurant? What's there now? (Does the room still rotate?!)

we are veering way off thread topic here (though I didn't start it, I promise...ahhehmm, bronsonshore)...
However, apparently the Hyatt went through a major renovation in 2021-2022 and it appears a new main restaurant and bar is on the lower level. Called Paperback Tavern: https://www.boston.com/travel/trave...wly-renovated-hyatt-regency-boston-cambridge/

I have not been there recently and cannot vouch. However, regarding your question, I was there for a work event years ago and recall overhearing a conversation with a hotel employee about the Spinnaker's demise. The worker mentioned that its electricity bill for running that thing was absolutely obscene and it just wasn't passing the business sense test since they knew they could rent the space profitably as an events space without the rotating novelty. The view is, I'm sure, still crazy good. I find it amusing that, according the the link I posted above, the renovation contractor needed to demo and remove 50-tons worth of rotating floor/machinery via crane. It is a bit sad/nostalgic; I remember going to a couple of family events at the restaurant in the '90s.

Art bar was also a great spot along the Riverwalk

That's still there and with a fairly large outside patio overlooking the Charles. I regularly jogged by there last summer and it was always busy after 5pm. The main sit-down restaurant spot at the other end of the Sonesta lobby (which also had patio space) was killed by the pandemic though (it was another Italian place after Davio's, can't remember the name).

That's still there and with a fairly large outside patio overlooking the Charles. I regularly jogged by there last summer and it was always busy after 5pm. The main sit-down restaurant spot at the other end of the Sonesta lobby (which also had patio space) was killed by the pandemic though (it was another Italian place after Davio's, can't remember the name).
The Davio's replacement was called Dante.

Back