CambridgeSide Galleria Reno/Redev | First Street | East Cambridge

More brick panels going up.

IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4302.JPG

Are present stores & restaurants there allowed to remain open during the rehab? :unsure:

Are present stores & restaurants there allowed to remain open during the rehab? :unsure:
Yes, the mall is open, I was there Thursday. There is somewhat of a separation btwn construction and the Cheese Cake Factory with the garage entry on the left in the picture. The mall activity is the food court and the two restaurants, and for some reason the apple store always has a line.

...and for some reason the apple store always has a line.
Probably more for the service counter than sales, it's still the place you bring your apple products for repairs but most sales have moved online.

Ok, so maybe I skim through slides way too fast, but I had a realization that was news to me: the 60 First Street lab building (former Sears) will incorporate a new Mall entrance (off of First St.) with a retail corridor leading to the Food Court on the ground level. I had no idea of this; I just figured they were curtailing the mall at the FC, and have a retail slot or two in the exterior walls of the new building. I didn't realize it would be so integrated.

The shot below is from 1.5 years ago (link here to CS Vision site), but the same plans remain in the most recent filings. I just linked this one since the resolution is better:
cs_1st_entrance.png

I wish them the best with this. Anything to improve the activation of that stretch of First is ideal. Big lab buildings have a way of walling things off unless efforts like this are made.

Lack of involvement by MIT?

Did you misread "Kenmore" for "Kendall"? (If so, I somehow do this all the time too). I think bakgwailo is likely referring to the WHOOPS debacle in Kenmore, which hopefully MIT was not involved with.

Did you misread "Kenmore" for "Kendall"? (If so, I somehow do this all the time too). I think bakgwailo is likely referring to the WHOOPS debacle in Kenmore, which hopefully MIT was not involved with.

I did :). I thought of the WHOOPS building too, but the best solution there would have been no new facade at all.

I did :). I thought of the WHOOPS building too, but the best solution there would have been no new facade at all.

For sure, nothing beats the real thing when trying to convey the look and feel of an historic facade. Here, unlike in WHOOPs' case, they're replacing a cheesy 80s' department store motif rather than a classic gem. In this context, I'd say they're doing pretty well.

Tbh regardless of what its replacing, the brick looks real good, this brick paneling would look good anywhere. It reminds me of the quinn a bit in the south end by ink block, that was extremely high quality precast brick as well.

Back