Can you name the ten largest cities in each New England state?

Lrfox, agree with a lot of your points. Have always put a considerable amount of faith in the MSA format for a reasonable guide for overall urban size. However, I always felt that the CSA figures were a little overboard for the amount of real estate they cover. Like bank mergers, someday we'll have only 20 or 30 CSA's to cover the entire country!

Portland's MSA does dip a little further south that I feel it should, but I don't draw the lines on the map, that is left to the urban experts in Washington. If I did, Boston would be part of Greater Portland! Lewiston/Auburn is not part of Portland's MSA, but is part of it's CSA.

Do agree that the NECTA figures are an excellent source for a realistic count for the unique grouping of New England cities, especially with the short distances between urban centers. Wish they could generate some type of computer imagery and utilize some sort of scale to determine massing, density and height of the downtown districts of every city. This would give us another tool other than population counts to determine a city's actual size or footprint.

I often wonder how many people in the country actually care about stuff like this besides people on this site, Emporis and the SkyscraperPage? Are we considered urban geeks :)

I don't know why Montpelier was picked to be VT's capital, but surely a 'central location' was not the reason. For that, you'd have to pick Rutland.

From Montpelier's history write up: "By 1805, the town of Montpelier had a population of 1200. In that year the State Legislature sought a permanent home for the Capital. Montpelier was selected because of it's central location and due to support from local residents who provided land and money."

Actually Middlebury should have been picked because it's more in the center of the state than either Rutland or Montpelier!

Thanks for having my back datadyne007!

Yeah, there are a couple other sites that mention it too. Apparently it was quite the fight for the capital between a few different towns, but ultimately Montpelier was the local favorite and they offered to front the most $.

Lrfox, agree with a lot of your points. Have always put a considerable amount of faith in the MSA format for a reasonable guide for overall urban size. However, I always felt that the CSA figures were a little overboard for the amount of real estate they cover. Like bank mergers, someday we'll have only 20 or 30 CSA's to cover the entire country!

Portland's MSA does dip a little further south that I feel it should, but I don't draw the lines on the map, that is left to the urban experts in Washington. If I did, Boston would be part of Greater Portland! Lewiston/Auburn is not part of Portland's MSA, but is part of it's CSA.

Do agree that the NECTA figures are an excellent source for a realistic count for the unique grouping of New England cities, especially with the short distances between urban centers. Wish they could generate some type of computer imagery and utilize some sort of scale to determine massing, density and height of the downtown districts of every city. This would give us another tool other than population counts to determine a city's actual size or footprint.

I often wonder how many people in the country actually care about stuff like this besides people on this site, Emporis and the SkyscraperPage? Are we considered urban geeks :)

When it comes to MSA, I think it's a good measure of the principal city's influence over a certain area, not the actual size/density/sprawl of the city. In the case of Portland, I would say that it's fairly accurate as Portland is by far the most influential city over that region with the exception of the towns adjacent to the Portsmouth/Dover/Rochester area. Still, while those few towns on the Southern end of things may not be as "influenced" by Portland, you could argue that there are towns to the North that aren't counted in the MSA that ARE more oriented towards Portland than Lewiston (Lewiston's draw, IMHO doesn't extend as far South as the stats show... that's Portland territory). In the end, I'd call it a wash with Portland.

Where I feel that MSA is off the mark is getting a feel for the actual physical size of a city. Sticking with Portland, you're looking at an area that's largely rural. Even the many of the innermost suburbs (Scarborough, Falmouth, Cumberland, Yarmouth, Gorham, etc) are fairly rural in pockets (or more). Beyond that, it becomes very rural. Still, there's no denying that Portland is the principal city for that region and one can "feel" that when visiting a community like Buxton and beyond. However, a large chunk of those towns in the MSA aren't suburbs. In fact, they're not even close. They're rural communities and Portland just so happens to be the closest influential urban area even though it's upwards of 60 miles from some of the towns in the metro area. Portland feels smaller than the 514,000 would lead one to believe (it's urbanized area is about 1/3 the size of the overall metro at 188,000 which includes Westbrook, South Portland, Scarborough, Saco, Biddeford and more). To me, I think of Greater Portland as having somewhere in the ballpark of 250,000-300,000 people. It doesn't feel like an area of 1/2 a million. Even the City of Portland website says Portland's metro area is 230,000.

Providence, RI doesn't feel like an urban area of 1.6 Million people even though that's what the MSA says. It feels a bit smaller. Large chunks of it are fairly low density or rural (Coventry, Rehoboth, Freetown, etc). Providence may be the most influential city over that area, but it doesn't FEEL like there are 1.6 Million people in Greater Providence. Many of the cities and towns in that area are distinctly different in terms of character and feel than Providence despite the fact that some may commute to work or use some of the healthcare facilities in PVD (New Bedford, again, comes to mind). Boston, on the other hand, feels every bit the 4.5 Million that apparently live around it.

The polar opposite of a MSA like Portland (that covers a far ranging, mostly rural area) or PVD would be a San Francisco. San Francisco's metro is smaller than Boston's according to those statistics. However, most who have spent time in both cities would probably say that San Francisco feels like a much larger metropolitan area than Boston (I know I do). Instead of spanning a wide-reaching largely rural area, San Francisco's MSA covers two major urban area (SF and Oakland) and a lot of relatively high density suburbs in the Bay Area. What's more, is that a nearby MSA (San Jose) directly abuts it. To me, when I think of the Bay Area, I think of SF, Oakland and San Jose as one large, urban area. San Francisco's "influence" extends far beyond what that MSA digit would lead one to believe. To me, San Francisco feels more like a Metro Area of around 6 Million (or more) than one with 4.3 Million. Traveling through the Bay Area, it's impossible to tell when you've left Metro San Francisco and entered Metro San Jose. You could make a similar case with Boston and Providence, but the population density thins out quite a bit between those two cities and the overlap isn't quite as clear.

Long-winded, I know. However, that's what I see as being the problem with MSA as a general measurement of a city's size. You get a fairly decent idea (in most cases) of the influence of a city although "influence" is hard to quantify. Boston's the biggest city in New England and has a major influence on the whole region (think of Sports, colleges, healthcare, transportation, etc.). Should all of New England count as Metro Boston? No way. But where do we draw the lines?

I completely agree with CSA being a fairly useless measurement. Boston's CSA has around 7 million and includes Providence, Worcester and Manchester. I'm a believer that a real metro area will have a sense of unity. With the exception of professional sports, I don't see too much that the people in Manchester have in common with people in Providence. I wonder how much time people in Providence spend in Manchester and vice versa. The Bay area may be an exception as San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose are all fairly interconnected. Most cases, however, the CSA a bit too much.

I'm a stats geek too. Whenever the opportunity for this knowledge to come up in casual conversation with friends who aren't stats geeks or urban geeks, I usually get looked at like I have two heads. Most simply don't care. To be honest, it's fun to play with and debate, but it has little influence over reality. I think for the regular person, "feel" is the most important aspect of a city. It doesn't matter what the numbers say because after all, they're just numbers. It's how it feels to you that counts.

^From my understanding, the Census Bureau uses counties in New England too for the MSAs. According to the Census Bureau, Portland's MSA has 514,098 people. That just so happens to be the exact combined population of all of York, Cumberland and Sagadahoc County (I just found their populations on Wikipedia). Here's a list of MSAs according to the Census Bureau (Portland is at 101). So when you see that 514,098 number, it is all of Southern and part of Mid Coast Maine's population. It's not far off, considering that just about all of that area (regardless of how urban or rural) would consider Portland to be the cultural and economic hub of their region. They may not consider themselves to be "suburban Portland" (certainly not at the extremes of that area), but it's undeniable that Portland is the most significant city for that area (and beyond). For the record, I'm fairly certain that MSA number does NOT include Lewiston (Androscoggin County).

There are other measurments. New England City and Town Area is a good one. Probably the most accurate of the bunch for our region. Urbanized area gives a good idea of what portion of that Metro/City and Town area is actual urbanized/suburbanized vs. rural.

I think NECTA is most accurate on an individual level, but I would say a combination of MSA, Urbanized and NECTA probably gives the most accurate representation of a city's size and representation.

I guess you are right, but I don't understand why some sources say that the Boston CMSA includes parts of Maine (which is true from a commuter perspective, especially considering places like Kittery where people don't necessarily commute to Boston proper but may commute to the Boston MSA). Anyhow, I am pretty sure I read somewhere the Portland So Po Biddeford MSA is like 400,000 (probably york and cumberland) and that the CMSA of is 617,000 (which I think is what I was thinking earlier when I included Lewiston, which has about 100,000 in the metro). Probably the best measure is density, but that itself can be skewed in smaller places like Portland, with a dense downtown and low density outskirts. All the more reason to travel and see these places rather than resort to statistics. Density in the core measured around a comparable radius would probably be the best measure of urbanism.

It would be interesting to look at the average Floor area ratio and compare it, as I know Portlander I have both done in an amateur way by counting building floors for all major buildings and comparing them from Portland to some other cities.

Lrfox, excellent points and I sincerely agree with all of them. You are officially the subject matter expert on all questions and theory on MSA's, CSA's and NECTA's. Did not think that anyone else delved into this area of urbanology like I did. You are very knowledgable and I respect your thoughts and ideas in this theater along with other topics. Liked your comment on how much time people from Providence interact with Manchester and vice versa, I concur that influence is the real key in determining these statistical areas.

And you are correct, the actual feel that you get from visiting a city is the bottom line gauge on how urban or how much vitality a town or city has! Now that I am 54, I am pleased to know that you and Patrick will carry the torch as I start to fade away into the sunset:)

Patrick, we talked about your approach to determine actual size and massing of downtown areas and I was impressed with your efforts. If there was an accurate way to measure total square footage of all office, retail, government, and residential buildings, which would also have to include vacant or abandoned structures. The only obstacle would be how to fairly determine each individual city's actual downtown district and make it consistent across the country. In Portland, would we include the structures in the Marginal Way area, would that be considered downtown or fringe? In Manchester, would the 14 story Brady Sullivan Building (think the name is correct) at the north end of Elm Street be considered downtown or fringe?

Let's say I wanted to do a bike or car tour of each of the 10 largest cities in one of these states ... and we'll pick RI since it's the smallest. What is the main thing worth seeing in each of the 10 cities? (We can skip over Providence with its large number of attractions, and also Pawtucket since I'd pick the Slater Mill.)

I guess you are right, but I don't understand why some sources say that the Boston CMSA includes parts of Maine (which is true from a commuter perspective, especially considering places like Kittery where people don't necessarily commute to Boston proper but may commute to the Boston MSA). Anyhow, I am pretty sure I read somewhere the Portland So Po Biddeford MSA is like 400,000 (probably york and cumberland) and that the CMSA of is 617,000 (which I think is what I was thinking earlier when I included Lewiston, which has about 100,000 in the metro). Probably the best measure is density, but that itself can be skewed in smaller places like Portland, with a dense downtown and low density outskirts. All the more reason to travel and see these places rather than resort to statistics. Density in the core measured around a comparable radius would probably be the best measure of urbanism.

I completely agree. It confuses me too. I know some people who commute from the Berwicks down to Burlington MA (Boston MSA) to work. I work with one guy who lives in Scarborough, ME and has an apartment down here so he spends the weeks here and weekends at home.

I wouldn't be surprised that you read that somewhere. I always include Lewiston as being interconnected with Portland. It's not really an independent city like Portland is, or even Bangor is. It seems fairly aligned with the Portland area. Density is a good measure, but you're right re: Portland. I think the 600k number is more accurate re: Portland's influence, but it doesn't give you an idea of the way the area is built out (dense downtown, low density outside of that area). It would be obvious to anyone visiting that region that Portland's influence extends far beyond the urban area whereas a city like New Bedford MA has an influence that barely extends beyond the neighboring communities.

Lrfox, excellent points and I sincerely agree with all of them. You are officially the subject matter expert on all questions and theory on MSA's, CSA's and NECTA's. Did not think that anyone else delved into this area of urbanology like I did. You are very knowledgable and I respect your thoughts and ideas in this theater along with other topics. Liked your comment on how much time people from Providence interact with Manchester and vice versa, I concur that influence is the real key in determining these statistical areas.

And you are correct, the actual feel that you get from visiting a city is the bottom line gauge on how urban or how much vitality a town or city has! Now that I am 54, I am pleased to know that you and Patrick will carry the torch as I start to fade away into the sunset:)

Hahaha thanks. It's fascinating stuff. I did a few projects on Metro areas and the related stats during my geography courses in college.

P.S. 54, isn't too old!

Let's say I wanted to do a bike or car tour of each of the 10 largest cities in one of these states ... and we'll pick RI since it's the smallest. What is the main thing worth seeing in each of the 10 cities? (We can skip over Providence with its large number of attractions, and also Pawtucket since I'd pick the Slater Mill.)

Interesting. I don't know with much of Rhode Island since many of the largest towns aren't exactly destinations. For instance, I'd take Newport, Bristol, Warren, Little Compton (Stone House is one of my favorite places in New England) Jamestown, Point Judith and more over places like Coventry or West Warwick. It's hard to imagine a highlight reel of Rhode Island without Newport or the South County Beaches.

In North Providence, I would go with the PC Campus and area. It's a beautiful campus and a great school. On Second throught, PC may be within Providence's City Limits. I always considered it North Providence. Anyway, North Providence is essentially suburban Federal Hill. Very Italian.

In Coventry, I would either suggest the Audubon Trail, or seeing the historic homes in the Greene and Hopkins Hollow areas. It's a very rural (relatively large at nearly 70 square miles) town.

In East Providence, I think it would have to be the East Bay Bike Path. It runs along the waterfront with some cool views of PVD. If you wanted to, you could take it all the way into Bristol passing through Warren and Barrington. They're in the process of connecting it to the Blackstone Bike Path which will create an unbroken bike trail connecting Worcester to Bristol via Providence. Kind of cool.

In Warwick, it's a tough call. Lots of box stores and generic suburbs. The Rhode Island Mall and the Warick Mall just across the street from each other may be worth a look? TF Green is there. The transit geeks would like checking out the new rail station and connection to the airport (lots of moving walkways). Pawtuxet Village is a cute section of town.

Cranston is difficult too. Pawtuxet Village spills into Cranston so that could count. Part of Roger William's Park (not the Zoo) is in Cranston and that's one of my favorite urban parks in the country. Edgewood Yacht Club was notable before burning down. My grandfather kept his boat there so it carries a little nostalgia for me. The Fenner House is one of the oldest in RI (built in the mid 1600s). They also have one of the largest outdoor pools in the country though I've never seen it.

I LOVE Woonsocket. It's gritty, old and a bit run down. However, it has a very cool, very urban downtown area. It has a ton of French Canadian heritage and a lot of interesting places in the city center. Great architecture too. I know there are specific sites, but I would just head downtown and explore.

Cumberland is an old industrial town. It's the birthplace of Cumberland Farms. There are a number of cool old mill complexes worth visiting.

Maybe the old Centerville Mill in West Warwick, but I'd probably just skip it entirely.

Excluding Providence (and RW Park Zoo) and Pawtucket's sites, I would say that the East Bay Bike Path and downtown Woonsocket are the most appealing to me.

Last edited:
All the more reason to travel and see these places rather than resort to statistics. Density in the core measured around a comparable radius would probably be the best measure of urbanism.

Great thought, and I love the idea of using FAR, etc. to measure density, urbanity and so on, though I'd hate to try to compile it. In the end, I think what's clear is that there's no single measurement that really captures how urban or influential a city is in a region.

NECTA_Divisions.png

Manchester's NECTA Division is quite small in land area, excluding adjacent suburbs like Londonderry while including rural areas such as Weare, several towns away

Looking just at the measurements for Manchester, I can see several major flaws. NECTA, for instance, counts Londonderry and Litchfield, which directly abut Manchester, in the Nashua division of the Boston NECTA. Nashua is certainly more tied to metro-Boston as an outlying suburb than Manchester is, and there's no disputing that it is a major employment center. That said, it's downtown, while pleasant, is hardly on par with Manchester, Portland, Lowell or even Concord, I would argue. It lacks the amenities and attractions of a larger city, and being a suburb, albeit a relatively urban one, itself I don't it has the same influence over the surrounding towns as Manchester does.

A change in the perception and statistics will have to follow a strengthening of Manchester's influence and urban vitality, but I think it would make sense for Nashua and Concord to be considered something of secondary satellite cities to Manchester, in a similar way that Manchester is to Boston. Obviously, Nashua will always be on the fringe of metro-Boston as well, but i assume that people in Nashua and Concord head to Manchester when they go to a show, sporting event or museum.

I always wish Concord abutted Manchester or was at least one town closer, and could be its Cambridge in a way--a funky, smaller sibling intricately tied to the larger city. Right now, Concord and Manchester split the government and business centers of the state, and with Portsmouth, compete for its cultural heart. In Massachusetts, the largest cities are either directly tied to Boston or have their own distinct sphere-of-influence; Connecticut's major cities are fairly evenly spaced; and Maine and especially Rhode Island essentially have one very prominent city with the remaining large cities mostly serving as suburbs, plus one (or in Maine, a few) smaller, secondary metro areas. New Hampshire's three largest cities, one the other hand, are close but not adjacent, linked but not unified, and work collectively but compete with one another; on top of that, there's Portsmouth, arguably the most urban, livable and culturally dynamic city competing from nearby as well.

One thing that I think is overlooked by supporters--and the few detractors (outside the State House, at least)--of the Capitol Corridor commuter rail project is how that sort of urban-oriented infrastructure might better unite the major cities of the Merrimack Valley in New Hampshire. In addition to improving accessibility to and from Boston (and to airport), and making the area more attractive to businesses and residents looking for an urban location outside Boston, the rail project will hopefully tie Manchester, Nashua and Concord together with the Queen City at the center. I'd like to see the three cities and their suburbs work together more collectively on other projects, but I hope the Capitol Corridor will heighten their connectedness.

I don;t think Portland has a 'main' thing, or Burlington, but I would certainly have a route to recommend in each. Portland's would be congress to exchange to commercial, and Burlingtons would be college to church to the water.

Thanks for the list of Rhode Island sites. I really should check out Woonsocket, a place I've never been to. (It's too bad there's no bus or train to it directly from Boston.)

I've ridden the East Bay bike path to Bristol several times, and hope to repeat it this summer -- but I never realized before this week that there was a place called 'East Providence' separate from Providence.

Thanks for the list of Rhode Island sites. I really should check out Woonsocket, a place I've never been to. (It's too bad there's no bus or train to it directly from Boston.)

I've ridden the East Bay bike path to Bristol several times, and hope to repeat it this summer -- but I never realized before this week that there was a place called 'East Providence' separate from Providence.

You're welcome. Woonsocket's worth a visit, but I wouldn't kill myself to get there. In the end, it's an old, down on its luck mill town. However, it still has some real character.

East Providence vs. the East Side if Providence is a matter of confusion for newcomers and visitors to Providence. Generally, the East Side (part of the city of Providence) is a nice area with some urban neighborhoods, some leafier suburban neighborhoods, and a lot to see and do. East Providence is a bit more blue collar and not quite as attractive. Many people think they found a great apartment deal online in the East Side when in reality they found a place in East Providence.

I don;t think Portland has a 'main' thing, or Burlington, but I would certainly have a route to recommend in each. Portland's would be congress to exchange to commercial, and Burlingtons would be college to church to the water.

I like that Portland Route. I would add to take a right on Fore St. at the end of Exchange, left on Union and Left on Commercial following that over to the Eastern Promenade. Not a bad bike or walking route at all and you'd get to experience a lot of Portland.

For New Bedford, I'd start my bike ride on Hawthorn Street near St. Luke's Hospital. Head East down Hawthorn until you get to County. Take a left on County and follow that down to William Street. That section will take you by a lot of the West End's historic homes (including the Roch-Jones-Duff House) and tree lined streets. Take a right on William and follow it down to Water Street. This takes you through part of the old residential neighborhoods, downtown and the Whaling District. Take a right on Water Street from William (in the heart of the Whaling District) and follow it over to Union. Take a left on Union and follow it down to the waterfront area. Great place to see the fishing fleet, Schooner Ernestina and the harbor. Good views of Fairhaven too.

You're welcome. Woonsocket's worth a visit, but I wouldn't kill myself to get there. In the end, it's an old, down on its luck mill town. However, it still has some real character.

I visited Woonsocket on Thursday, and started a new thread specifically about that city. Please rejoin the discussion there.

Back