[CANCELED] 1000 Boylston Street | MassDOT Parcel 15 | Back Bay

Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

To be fair columbus center also has a patch of land over to the side where they could place the core/building and have the podium over the pike. Its do-able, but will it be done... If they did it this way it would really not be much more expensive than really any other project. Placing a poduim over the pike isnt much harder than placing it really anywhere. Placing a huge tower directly over the pike is extremely hard. I with they would try this approach and finally get it done.

To be fair columbus center also has a patch of land over to the side where they could place the core/building and have the podium over the pike. Its do-able, but will it be done... If they did it this way it would really not be much more expensive than really any other project. Placing a poduim over the pike isnt much harder than placing it really anywhere. Placing a huge tower directly over the pike is extremely hard. I with they would try this approach and finally get it done.

Is a tower on decking over the pike even possible ? Between the sinking foundation in SF and 1 dalton using “anchored in bedrock” in their marketing, is the copley tower doomed ?

Is a tower on decking over the pike even possible ? Between the sinking foundation in SF and 1 dalton using “anchored in bedrock” in their marketing, is the copley tower doomed ?

Weird question... that's like asking "Well we built a boat once and it sank, is it even possible to build a boat?"

Building over the pike is inevitable. It's a matter of when not if. The real estate on those parcels is really valuable but it's not valuable enough yet given the other available land and sites to build which are not encumbered by the political, bureaucratic and technical difficulties of those sites.

Ten or twenty years from from now the calculus is going to be very different if Boston's demand continues to grow for commercial and residential real estate.

Weird question... that's like asking "Well we built a boat once and it sank, is it even possible to build a boat?"

Building over the pike is inevitable. It's a matter of when not if. The real estate on those parcels is really valuable but it's not valuable enough yet given the other available land and sites to build which are not encumbered by the political, bureaucratic and technical difficulties of those sites.

Ten or twenty years from from now the calculus is going to be very different if Boston's demand continues to grow for commercial and residential real estate.

But it’s the terra firma that seems to be the X factor for these towers...I don’t think there’s currently a tower (500’+) built 100% on decking in Boston or any other city is there?

But it’s the terra firma that seems to be the X factor for these towers...I don’t think there’s currently a tower (500’+) built 100% on decking in Boston or any other city is there?

"Built on decking" isn't the right way to look at it. The decking itself is pretty irrelevant for any tower of substantial height. The tower's primary support columns will need to be anchored deeply regardless of whether any decking spans between them or not.

And when it comes to providing sufficient anchoring for primary support columns, you can build a tower pretty much anywhere...on the ocean...on stilts...
You just need to be able to drill deep piles. So the cost is driven by a) how complex the design needs to be based on what kind of gaps you need to span, and, b) the logistical cost of being able to install the piles/columns whilst the roadway (or whatever the obstacle is) exists beneath.

There are several examples of such towers on stilts...
I think a really cool example is Sydney's 8 Chifley Square:
8-chifley-square.jpg

There's 1300 N. Astor in Chicago:
P_0_131984_DRF05883409.JPEG

And of course Citigroup center in NYC:
citigroup-center-new-york-manhattan.jpg

...And you do realize that we already have one of these in Boston; there's at least a highway's worth of daylight between the two pylons of the Fed:
federal_reserve_boston_630.jpg

Last edited:

Great discussion. Indeed. i was gonna post the Fed Reserve and Citicorp Tower (915'!!).

we could be getting very tall towers over the Pike.

Maybe someday!

Very interesting and informative thank you !

This gives me hope that the pike will be decked over someday !

Like I said though we have a gift at the site, land. The original site they turned into a playground to stop it from being used, but the next triangular one down the line has land off to the side as well. Thats a huge gift as you can place the core and if you wanted an entire tower here with decking over to the side over the pike. Where the original site is your going to need to get creative with said trusses, demolish the playground, or only build a podium. They were going to build a low rise on the next parcel down anyways so they could just flip it and build the tall one on the triangular spot and the low rise/podium on the diamond parcel with the playground to the side (first one after hancock garage) and the tower next one down Columbus/Berkley. Your going to have towers right up to the diamond parcel anyways with the garage being redeveloped so it may be better to go one site down anyways so its not so cluttered.

Ummm, hold on a sec. Is this project displacing Bukowskis? I'm not saying that a single bar should hold up housing and pike-fill, but damn, Boston needs tiny hidden gems like this this.

Bukowski's is a great spot, although they could stand to, you know, fill the glasses up with beer when you order a beer. That crap on the menu about how you aren't going to get a full glass because "blah blah beer is supposed to come with lots of head blah blah" is a joke. I'm supposed to pay eight or nine dollars (cash only) for a beer, and you can't fill up the glass? Give me a break.

Ummm, hold on a sec. Is this project displacing Bukowskis? I'm not saying that a single bar should hold up housing and pike-fill, but damn, Boston needs tiny hidden gems like this this.

I don't think it will. The garage containing Bukowski's is in the render. It will make it a bit more hidden, though.

This is AWESOME news! Get this one going and finally we'll begin to have a street wall on that side of Boylston.

Icing on the cake will be the Viola on the other side of the street and the other building on Mass Ave. where the Hynes Bus Stop currently is.

The bar situation is a problem.

Hope the market self corrects, and maybe finds new spaces.

One place to push for it is the Punter's pub location, and other projects that come in the Fenway.

Maybe something good can happen on the 3~4 new projects going up in Kenmore Square.

Great to see. Hopefully it moves along into construction phase very soon. I really like the shape of this building. It reminds me of a chunkier version of Madison Square Park tower (that is not meant to be an insult):

2017_Madison_Square_Park_Tower_from_23rd_Street_1.jpg

I see my quoted post didnt work so:

2018_03_14_1000_Boylston_image__1__1.0.jpg

2018_07_25_03_58_29_2018-03-12-1000-boylston-image-5.jpg

2018_07_25_03_58_29_2018-03-12-1000-boylston-image-2.jpg

1000boylston-boylston.jpg

2018_07_25_03_58_29_2018-03-12-1000-boylston-image-3_0.jpg

32976161120_4c0f8f028a_b.jpg

zQgeI7I.png

1000boylston-scotia.jpg

Looks like it's getting ready for groundbreaking - trees have been removed in the small park on St. Cecillia st.

This looks a really good project. If it was closer to the Pru, like 1 Dalton and 111 Huntington Ave, it would add the perception of the Back Bay having a rival dense core like NYC and Atlanta (well I think Boston already has a superior skyline to Atlanta).

This looks a really good project. If it was closer to the Pru, like 1 Dalton and 111 Huntington Ave, it would add the perception of the Back Bay having a rival dense core like NYC and Atlanta (well I think Boston already has a superior skyline to Atlanta).

Our dense core is downtown then we have the spine here. It fits perfectly into the high spine concept.

Back