[CANCELED] 1000 Boylston Street | MassDOT Parcel 15 | Back Bay

Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Great to see. Hopefully it moves along into construction phase very soon. I really like the shape of this building. It reminds me of a chunkier version of Madison Square Park tower (that is not meant to be an insult):

2017_Madison_Square_Park_Tower_from_23rd_Street_1.jpg

Great catch. That should be exactly what it looks like.

Soil drilling rig was on site this morning. FINALLY!

Technically this could be on 3 different threads, but I'll put it here since this is the one with the vote. MassDOT Board hearing presentations (right now) on air rights with the goal of voting to lock up the 1000 Boylston purchase in about a month, with construction to begin in Spring-Summer 2019.

The presentation also mentioned Parcel 12 and Parcel 13 (which is trailing it by a few months).

I'll update with the slides once they're up.

Also a note for one of the mods: can we fix the spelling in this title please? It annoys me every time I see it and hopefully we'll be seeing it a lot more over the next couple of years...

"1000 Boylston Street | MassDOT Parcel 15 | Back Bay"

Update: Samuels is "working feverishly" to get Parcel 12 through permitting in time to use the same lane closures from 1000 Boylston, presumably meaning that they would be constructed simultaneously.

Looking for a 198 year lease with $17.5 million NPV for MassDOT. More than double the appraised value of the site.

That would be incredible. Winthrop center etc is great, but these parcels covering up the Pike is the most important developments in decades. These and MT filling the hole in the middle of downtown. The quicker these get started the better that way market economics dont put em on hold. Especially as air rights parcels. These NEED to go.

Thanks for the update, Equilibria; please keep 'em coming once today's board hearing is over and you're able to do so.

I've long felt like this Boylston/Mass Ave intersection has so much potential to be a great place (is Square the wrong word?). With the Parcel 12 and Parcel 13 plans updating the subway stop, this could/should be a real destination. The presence of the highway and chain link fences on the bridges has had such a damaging effect on this location's sense of place, and i think I'm more excited about the future of this one spot than maybe any other area and developments in the city.

That would be incredible. Winthrop center etc is great, but these parcels covering up the Pike is the most important developments in decades. These and MT filling the hole in the middle of downtown. The quicker these get started the better that way market economics dont put em on hold. Especially as air rights parcels. These NEED to go.

It's pretty squat compared to what it should have been.

~627' to the rooftip before Bostonification. Compared to that, 544' totally blows.

Those extra 83' really would have made the difference.

~627' to the rooftip before Bostonification. Compared to that, 544' totally blows.

I really don't think a 600 footer vs a 500 footer would make much difference in this area. Yeah if it was something massive like 1000' it would be awesome and revolutionize the skyline. But 544' basically makes it the same size as 111 Huntington and kinda on the opposite side. So from many angles (from the North and South) you will see two 500 foot knights flanking the 750 foot King (Pru) and Queen (1 Dalton). Thats some decent symmetry IMO.

What the Back Bay needs is a couple 500-600 footers near 200 Clarendon or better yet between the Hancock and Prudential Center. That fills the gap which is currently populated by a bunch of 350-400 footers.

^Or how about just the Copley Simon tower? I still can't get over that.

Your persistence and naivety never cease to amaze me.

In this case there was also a second building that got removed completely in the revision. You'd think they would have made the first building taller to help offset this but then they chopped that one too. I forget the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure well over half of the total housing initially proposed was cut from this project.

The tower looks great, but overall this is much less of a win than it should have been.

Again, why does the city, particularly the mayor, who has set his sights on tens of thousands of new housing units, allow this cutting back of residential buildings to happen without even a semblance of pushback?

Again, why does the city, particularly the mayor, who has set his sights on tens of thousands of new housing units, allow this cutting back of residential buildings to happen without even a semblance of pushback?

Because the Mayor is a politician and realizes he doesn't need to really solve this problem to be re-elected. Under 40% of the electorate ever shows up for these mayoral elections and in Boston the incumbent always wins.

Politics is about not pissing off your existing base.

544 is still pretty good. Plus the tower looks muuuch better now imo. It looks like the scalpel in London.
The-Scalpel.jpg

In this case there was also a second building that got removed completely in the revision. You'd think they would have made the first building taller to help offset this but then they chopped that one too. I forget the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure well over half of the total housing initially proposed was cut from this project.

The tower looks great, but overall this is much less of a win than it should have been.

Yeah, the loss in height is disappointing (a 586ft. condo/ and a 301ft apartment building.) But, the drop in total units from 160 condos/182 apartments to 108 condos is a bigger disappointment.

https://www.universalhub.com/2017/developer-unwraps-plans-two-tower-residential

Will they be doing the decking for all three projects at the same time, or at least consecutively?

Back