Cape Cod Rail, Bridges and Highways

Re: Boston to Cape rail

The only reason the train runs from the Cape to Boston on Friday night is because it has to be brought back to Southampton for the night. That's it. If it's not in service, it's making 0$ instead perhaps a few hundred (tops, but hey, better than nothing!).

It could be brought back to Middleboro layover, but if you're going to do the pain of a long trip on 35 MPH track and have to stage a bridge opening at the canal for a deadhead you might as well just run revenue all the way back to Boston and recoup some of the operating cost.

Cape Cod Central's main yard, maint shop, and headquarters are right there next to Hyannis station. They have all the necessary support and onsite security to lay over there. But the T most likely has liability hurdles about laying over revenue CR equipment in a "foreign" yard.

I asked earlier about car rentals, but are there bicycle rentals near the Hyannis station?

I asked earlier about car rentals, but are there bicycle rentals near the Hyannis station?

A search online (I was also curious, and bored) gives me this:

http://www.bikezonecapecod.com/bike_rentals.html

The place is called Bike Zone and its address is 323 Barnstable Rd, Hyannis, MA, and its a 0.6 mile walk from the Hyannis Transportation Center (the terminus of the CapeFlyer). Seems reasonably priced, from looking at their website. I've never been, but check it out and let me know how it is. I've heard of a great bike rental spot that's farther down Cape (Dennis).

That's Mike Dukakis getting off the inaugural train in one of those slideshow shots.

Considering how godawful the weather was they're pretty tickled about the ridership. To already be talking about extending it through Columbus Day (which makes sense since the water temps on the Cape peak after Labor Day) is the tip-off that they think they've nailed it. Wait till this weekend where they're predicting Thurs.-Sun. near 90. Everybody who stayed home in the frigid rain is going to come out for a make-up Memorial Day on the Cape.

On the RR.net thread some of the riders reported back that the customer service reps were grilling everyone for all manner of feedback...travel time, the snack bar menu, the bus connections, car rental options. It looks like they're going to be making adjustments on a weekly basis based on this feedback, like they said in the article in reference to the food menu. I love the idea floated of having real-time traffic monitors onboard showing how backed-up the bridges are. 2-1/2 hours may seem concerningly long, but if you can actually show the passengers hard proof onscreen that the cars are doing little better/no better/worse than the train that's the clincher for getting repeat riders and repeat riders who tell their friends about it.

2-1/2 is longer then the Cannonball or a regional from New Haven to Providence...outrageous...

2-1/2 is longer then the Cannonball or a regional from New Haven to Providence...outrageous...
Totally outrageous that a line that until a month ago was basically freight-only (and the dinner train) isn't as fast as the only high-speed rail line in the country, I agree.

Totally outrageous that a line that until a month ago was basically freight-only (and the dinner train) isn't as fast as the only high-speed rail line in the country, I agree.

Yeah...they literally replaced tens of thousands of ties, dumped tens of tons of ballast, and replaced several grade crossings in 6 weeks flat after ground thaw. And are still working all summer long 4 days a week in-between passenger and freight runs to do more track work. They had not finished with the ballast tamper in Wareham and Buzzards Bay in-time for this weekend, so one of the state officials onboard told a RR.net poster that that 30 MPH section that was responsible for the 20 min. delays this weekend would be 40 MPH by next weekend's first trip. With a small section of new speed boost coming on line every subsequent weekend.

Chances are this is going to be more like 2:05-2:15 by Labor Day.

As F-Line and others have noted, this track has not seen actual passenger service for near 20 years. I consider this a remarkable feat to have launched this at all. This is a radical departure for MassDOT/MBTA. Rather than coming up with billion dollar plans over 15 years for a service that may not even be viable, they actually listened to CCRTA and got something up and running on an appropriate scale and budget.
This is still a test of the service and I think they are trying to start with low expectations. If they can improve the service a little bit each season then they will have built a sustainable route from the grassroots. Pretty admirable. I hope it succeeds and can provide a better model for implementing rail extensions and new services.

Random question. Why doesn't the Middleboro line extend to Wareham or Buzzard's Bay normally? It doesn't seem that much further.

On the RR.net thread some of the riders reported back that the customer service reps were grilling everyone for all manner of feedback...travel time, the snack bar menu, the bus connections, car rental options. It looks like they're going to be making adjustments on a weekly basis based on this feedback

Zomg, you mean they're running it like it's an actual business, with customers? Just wait until the MBTA hears about this.

Random question. Why doesn't the Middleboro line extend to Wareham or Buzzard's Bay normally? It doesn't seem that much further.

Was proposed 20+ years ago when they were studying the Old Colony restoration. Local NIMBY's rejected it so they shelved south-of-Middleboro. There was still some kvetching in Rochester and Wareham as little as a few weeks ago about these dangerous "high-speed" trains going a whole 30 MPH through their grade crossings. Although the region has come around bigtime on commuter rail and now wants it bad with the Middleboro lots frequently over-full.

The 2008 study found widespread public support, and pitched it at a cut-rate price tag to capitalize on the sick joke that South Coast Rail had turned into: http://buzzardsbay.org/commuter-rails.htm.

They'd want an intermediate stop in Wareham because BB is too long from M'boro to not have a spacer. Probably West Wareham by the shopping center to plunk a park-and-ride lot by the 195/495/28 interchanges. The T is, after all, an asphalt-smoking creature of habit and couldn't even place the M'boro stop at its old downtown location because of its parking addiction. The downtown Wareham stop off 6 is still standing and was a Cape Codder stop, but while walkable it's kind of poorly situated in a back alley. I doubt they'd consider it.

Would be full 80 MPH the whole way because the route characteristics really don't change at all south of Middleboro until it starts weaving in downtown Wareham, and speeds on ideal track wouldn't drop unless crossing on-Cape where the sweeping curve around the Canal limits things. Raise the BB platform to a full-high and install a pocket track for storing a single layover train...regular layovers can deadhead back to the very large Middleboro facility. Run the full schedule CR down there. Install another passing siding in Bridgewater or somewhere + 1 in southern Middleboro to sync the extra train meets. That's it. It would kick ass on ridership because the southern tips of 495 and 3 DO have a longstanding Boston commute orientation unlike FR/NB.

This probably gets a lot closer to happening before end of decade now. If there's viable seasonal service going they can fish for stimulus money in a few years to signalize and upgrade BB for full-time service. It's not a whole lot different from Wachusett...more track miles and hardware to upgrade, less station construction bloat because BB is pre-existing and they're historically prevented from touching the building and grounds. Then they can self-fund the Wareham spacer later and add it as an infill after the extension is running.

Will the cape flyer be added to the Commuter Rail map?

Will the cape flyer be added to the Commuter Rail map?

No. Because the service is CCRTA's with MassDOT and the T merely acting as secondary partners. So far it is only funded for this year, and since Bourne and all towns on the Cape are outside the MBTA district it cannot be considered an MBTA service until they become full member towns. It's different from the Foxboro game trains where the route is entirely in-district.

If the Middleboro Line were extended, Wareham is already a district member and would be all set. But Bourne would have to vote to join and pay MBTA taxes in order for regular service to be able to stop at Buzzards Bay. That's not expected to be much of an issue, though, since they want the service and M'boro Line frequencies are a known-known they can easily quantify on value-for-money.

That full car ad is a good idea. Does the route pass anywhere by Route 3? The tease during jams would be great.

That full car ad is a good idea. Does the route pass anywhere by Route 3? The tease during jams would be great.

No, but it does go underneath the Sagamore.

The idea they have for taunting the drivers is to have info screens onboard that, among other things, show the traffic at the bridges and length of delays on the roads.

I'm wondering if the Cape Rail can be used to justify beach trains north of Newburyport. If you plop in cheap stations at Salisbury, Hampton, and Portsmouth, then you're all set. You can run buses out of Salisbury and Hampton to the beaches, and it could be a hit. Traffic isn't nearly as bad, but if you can get a decent ride at a regular fare structure, plus a cheap bus to the beach, scheduled to meet trains, then it could work well. It would be awesome for phasing in year-round commuter rail to Portsmouth, and I think the summer months would make up for the year-round expenses.

The only problem is the bridge over the Merimac, plus the NIMBY's keep trying to trail up the whole thing. How much is the bridge pegged at, again? It's a big hurdle, but it's essentially all that's in the way. Also, can you do rail-with-trail? I imagine double tracking between Ipswich and Newburyport would allow for single track north of Newburyport. Maybe a siding or two somewhere. You can't put the trail within Seabrook Nuclear Plant's outer perimeter, anyway. Good spot for a passing siding.

I'm wondering if the Cape Rail can be used to justify beach trains north of Newburyport. If you plop in cheap stations at Salisbury, Hampton, and Portsmouth, then you're all set. You can run buses out of Salisbury and Hampton to the beaches, and it could be a hit. Traffic isn't nearly as bad, but if you can get a decent ride at a regular fare structure, plus a cheap bus to the beach, scheduled to meet trains, then it could work well. It would be awesome for phasing in year-round commuter rail to Portsmouth, and I think the summer months would make up for the year-round expenses.

The only problem is the bridge over the Merimac, plus the NIMBY's keep trying to trail up the whole thing. How much is the bridge pegged at, again? It's a big hurdle, but it's essentially all that's in the way. Also, can you do rail-with-trail? I imagine double tracking between Ipswich and Newburyport would allow for single track north of Newburyport. Maybe a siding or two somewhere. You can't put the trail within Seabrook Nuclear Plant's outer perimeter, anyway. Good spot for a passing siding.

Given that it would be a two-state project--and the other state is planning back-asswards NH--I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. You have dumber-than-rocks Legislators right now pushing proposals to pave over the recently-abandoned Hampton Branch is Hampton for a 2-lane commercial access road to relive Route 1A congestion: http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130521/NEWS/305210332/-1/NEWSMAP. Right now it's a knife fight between local residents and their own pols against that inanity.

While the Seacoast wants commuter rail worse than every other region of Southern NH, this is indicative of the uphill climb they face against the transit cro-magnons amongst them. I really don't think it's going to become MA's concern for a couple decades more at least. The T is treating it correctly on the Western Route and Capitol Corridor...fight tooth-and-nail to get to the border because that's an in-district T concern, and de-couple as much as possible from the riff-raff that lies beyond until they feel like cooperating. Unfortunately, the Eastern Route just doesn't have on-border density like Plaistow park-and-ride and downtown Nashua. The ROW spends most of its time in the marsh in Salisbury, and any turnback stops there or in Seabrook would have very diffuse ridership. It's not worth it until it goes all the way back to Portsmouth.

The NIMBY's did screw it up bigtime when the downtown Newburyport stop got spiked for the park-and-ride. Ridership isn't anywhere near what it should be because they skipped all the density. However, the trail doesn't prevent full restoration. It just means it's going to have to be single-track. That's not a big deal...quite unlikely a restored Portsmouth run is going to need more than single + passing sidings north of the current terminal. Still can't see Newburyport reversing its opposition to a downtown stop, though. Or the T needing to care until Portsmouth and NH are on the table. That ship sailed 15 years ago, much like it did with Plymouth/Cordage Park.

The Newburyport Branch does need better frequencies, and that's not happening until the mainline constraints (Salem Station single platform, Chelsea crossings, falling-apart bridges) get some TLC and North Beverly-Ipswich gets double-tracking. It's nice fast straight 80 MPH track on the branch once you get to North Beverly. The speediness gives this branch a higher ridership ceiling than curvier, grade crossing-littered Rockport if they can take care of the problem of simply getting to Beverly on the mainline in reasonable time. It's got very high growth potential even if it never ends up crossing the river again.

BTW...the T will have options for more 'beach' cars when the bi-level coach order is done. The initial order of 75 Rotems displaces the MBB single-levels that are in such corroded body frame condition they head straight to the scrapper without a thought of refurbishment. But the escalator order for +75 more (which is looking more like a formality now that these things are successfully operating) lets them start picking and choosing which of the worn but considerably better-condition Bombardier singles to dispense of. And since only half of them would go that gives them lots of options to set aside coaches that would otherwise be scrapped for almost-free repurposement as specialty cars. Meaning, lots more potential bike/ski cars and a few more snack bar cars. Just involves ripping out some seats and installing racks and/or a snack table, which they know how to do DIY in the shops. And the things would only run on in-season weekends so they wouldn't rack up enough miles to need long-term maintenance.

It's entirely possible that in 3 years there'll be bike cars all over the system going to Newburyport, Rockport, Kingston/Plymouth, and the Cape on weekends. Cape Flyer is proving that the 'beach weekend' gimmick works great when you advertise it, and if the equipment costs are nearly free why not work that gimmick to the limit tapping new sources of weekend ridership?

Back