Carbon Taxes and Global Warming

jass

Reaction score
I say do it.

---
Logan parking costs may soar
Governor proposes adding $2 'carbon fee' to lot, garage rates

In the same month that Logan International Airport hiked its parking rates by $1, Governor Deval Patrick is asking for another $2 parking "carbon fee" as part of his transportation overhaul filed this week.

The carbon fee, described on page 137 of Patrick's 141-page bill, would that mean a 20- or 30-minute trip to pick up a relative at Logan could cost $6 in parking alone, not including tunnel tolls, which could rise to as much as $7 if legislators fail to pass Patrick's other proposal to raise the gas tax. Three hours in a Logan garage would cost $18; all-day parking in a garage would run $26.

Read more at
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/02/logan_parking_costs_may_soar/

---

With silver line, blue line, taxi and shuttle bus (hotel) service, not to mention airport express....there ARE alternatives.

But wait, what?

"He wants the parking fee to be used for improvements to airport-related transit projects, including a proposal to build a new tunnel under South Boston to speed up the Logan-bound Silver Line bus service, and the initial phases of a long-term plan to build a transit loop around the city. ."

Are they talking about a better connection to the ted tunnel?

Re: SOAR! (Parking fees at Logan)

It still costs more to take a cab than to pay $6 for the 20 min. pickup.

Also, there's a natural limit to the amount of revenue this can actually generate, since raising costs is also a disincentive to parking that will leave the lots emptier than before.

Also unclear whether the traffic and environmental effects of more taxi trips will really mitigate those of car trips.

It still costs more to take a cab than to pay $6 for the 20 min. pickup.

Also, there's a natural limit to the amount of revenue this can actually generate, since raising costs is also a disincentive to parking that will leave the lots emptier than before.

Also unclear whether the traffic and environmental effects of more taxi trips will really mitigate those of car trips.

The parking has no shortage of demand. Last time I parked there it took work to find a spot.

Also, theres the cell phone lot (free) for those who are just picking up quickly.

But wait, what?

"He wants the parking fee to be used for improvements to airport-related transit projects, including a proposal to build a new tunnel under South Boston to speed up the Logan-bound Silver Line bus service, and the initial phases of a long-term plan to build a transit loop around the city. ."

Are they talking about a better connection to the ted tunnel?

I think not:

The ?mobility mandates? include maintenance of the MBTA?s current Silver Line and Blue Line routes to Logan. Also included is the first phase of the Urban Ring bus service north of Boston, harbor boat access and a conceived tunnel under D Street in South Boston allowing Silver Line buses to remain entirely underground between South Station and Logan.

I have no idea where this idea came from, but it would be utterly insane to extend the broken Silver Line tunnel in all of its 12 mph, bumpy glory to the airport if the T isn't going to promptly lay rail inside of it and get serious about transit again.

If you recall, one of the major obstacles to running rail to the airport has been finding a way to integrate it into the Ted Williams Tunnel. If you're going straight from the World Trade Center to Logan, then there is no reason to keep the bus farce going. Though the EOT / MBTA / Massport / Mayor will find plenty of vague reasons that probably go against all logic and probably a few state-funded studies.

The Silver Line will never be rail. Let's just collectively sigh and move on.

Sounds like the proposal isn't to extend the Silver Line tunnel to Logan, but rather to connect it directly to the Ted.

A 'carbon fee'.

Sigh.

I wonder how much more emperical evidence exposing the fraud that is the cooked up scam of man-induced global warming will be necessary to remove it from politics.

If Devolve wants an additional revenue stream (as marginal a one as this would be) to piss away on inefficient government programs and projects, he should just call it what it is.

The fact is that there are several options for getting to and from the airport aside from driving--though accidents and horrendous traffic aside, automobile is probably going to be the fastest way in and out of the airport (from outside of 128 anyway--where a fair percentage of Logan travelers no doubt originate).

Having taken the Silver line to and from the aiport about 1,000 times, there are two parts of the ride that are not efficient.

The first, one that probably cannot be avoided, is making the rounds of the terminals aboard the airport itself--especially during the busier times for vehicular traffic. It has taken almost 20 minutes to go from Terminal A to the International Terminal (equal parts road congestion and people taking a long time to get on/off the bus at each stop).

The second is the tour of South Boston. I am not sure if there is a sincere intention of trying to improve this part of the ride. On the way to South Station, you can usually donk off about 5 minutes of the trip by getting off at the Seaport Hotel/WTC stop (the first one in South Boston after emerging from the tunnels), running downstairs and catching the next bus inbound (usually a waterfront line one). Thereby avoiding the switchover to the caternary lines and the red light under the Manulife building.

A 'carbon fee'.

Sigh.

I wonder how much more emperical evidence exposing the fraud that is the cooked up scam of man-induced global warming will be necessary to remove it from politics.

Are you serious? The only "evidence" claiming that man-induced global warming is not real is within politics. Where do you get your science?

Where do you get your science?

He doesn't get science, that's the problem.

Airports are giant contributors to greenhouse emissions and only add to the Heat-island Effect. A carbon fe is a good first step.

I'd suggest fewer blogs and more peer reviewed journals.

Climatologists are split 50/50 on the man made climate change sham. Al Gore's 'concensus' was a political move to quelch any further debate, which would point out his only personal stake in promoting global warming for fun and profit.

I don't know why climate change skeptics would be so opposed to taking steps against the phenomenon. If they're right, we're still more energy (and cost) efficient in the long run. If they're wrong, we've averted catastrophe.

Climatologists are split 50/50 on the man made climate change sham. Al Gore's 'concensus' was a political move to quelch any further debate, which would point out his only personal stake in promoting global warming for fun and profit.

Again, it would be great to get some citations from peer reviewed journals about this.

I don't know why climate change skeptics would be so opposed to taking steps against the phenomenon. If they're right, we're still more energy (and cost) efficient in the long run. If they're wrong, we've averted catastrophe.

Yes.

I don't know why climate change skeptics would be so opposed to taking steps against the phenomenon.

Because they see it as some sort of commie plot to destroy Capitalist America. :confused:

I wonder what kind of people Lurker considers "climatologists," such that a full 50% of them firmly reject the sham-laden fraud that is the scam often referred to in the liberal media as 'climate change' AKA that deceitful front for anti-Rational, suboptimally inefficient, big-government projects proposed by political crooks like Devolve Patrick and that immodest, fun and profit loving malcontent still bitter about that election he unequivocally lost, Al 'concensus' Gore.

Certainly not the ones that would be published in Science...

Anyway, one can show with about two calculations that current climate change abatement measures are justified in the face of significant uncertainty. Whatever.

I changed the thread title and moved it to General because it's pretty obvious it's gonna go off on this tangent. There is already a Logan thread so any more discussion of the parking fees should go on there.

Why would you want to punish people with a 2 dollar fee? Why in the world would anyone want this?

Every day I become more and disappointed.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

A 'carbon fee'.

Sigh.

Don't forget that Oregon legislation offering a $1,000,000 reward for the live capture of Big Foot.

Anyway, one can show with about two calculations that current climate change abatement measures are justified in the face of significant uncertainty. Whatever.

Facts can be used to prove anything even remotely true.

Back