Charlestown Infill and Small Developments

one parcel of the Hood PDA master plan changing from office to residential use.
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines.../hood_to_pour_housing_on_ex_dairy_boston_site

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/hood-480-rutherford-avenue

The Hood master plan will end up deserving its own thread if they are going to move forward with construction. Over 1 million SF approved.
from BRA website for the PDA:
"Proposed 1,168,820sf of mixed use development of Hood office park. Six buildings and three parking garages to be developed over a 15 year period."

I'm glad that Sullivan Square is finally getting some development. I've always thought of that area as a huge under-utilization of space being only 2 stops on the orange line from downtown. It would be nice if the MBTA sold their parking lot next to the station and used those proceeds to build a garage next to the Oak Grove station. The Oak Grove station lot fills up early in the morning during business days.

Then again who wants to live right next to the elevated eyesore also known as I-93. I wonder how much it would cost to drop the highway to ground level. I'm sure it would be expensive with all of the train tracks that run under it. However it would be nice if it was more like I-90. Then they could sell development rights above it (for free hopefully).

Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of middle income housing developed here by Magic Johnson's fund?
Or maybe I am mixing this up with another project...

The Magic Johnson was in North Point, and I think they've since sold their interest although I could be miss-remembering.

That's possibly the ugliest building I've ever seen, and as an extra added bonus it looks charred as from a fire.

To be fair, that building is across the street from the largest public housing development in the state. I'm sure that played into their decision to elevate the first floor and restrict sidewalk access.
But yeah, not great Bob....

That's possibly the ugliest building I've ever seen, and as an extra added bonus it looks charred as from a fire.

We could hold this one up as a proof that there's an historicist strain of Brutalism.

To be fair, that building is across the street from the largest public housing development in the state. I'm sure that played into their decision to elevate the first floor and restrict sidewalk access.
But yeah, not great Bob....

Well, at least it's contextual. My fear is that as the various HOPE programs revitalize the actual public housing, this shitbox will be left sticking out like a sore thumb.

Back