Charlestown Infill and Small Developments

Lol...no way that ever gets approved/built.

Lol...no way that ever gets approved/built.

I certainly have no particular expertise on the Boston approval process, but. . . I dunno, this about as "middle of nowhere" as it gets. There are no neighbors around there to object to anything.

I can see this as the start of another "Cambridge Crossing" development which blends perfectly with Assembly Square. And that could be just the start....move out some of the industrial zone to a more remote area and build. Of course the whole of Mystic Ave going into Medford Square is ripe for apartments/condos, retail, and office/lab space.

I can see this as the start of another "Cambridge Crossing" development which blends perfectly with Assembly Square. And that could be just the start....move out some of the industrial zone to a more remote area and build. Of course the whole of Mystic Ave going into Medford Square is ripe for apartments/condos, retail, and office/lab space.

Manifest Destiny.

Little infill in one of my favorite Boston squares begging for an upheaval. Charlestown is just so sleepy.

"A key component in the development are the materials used on the exterior of the building given the historic nature of the Thompson triangle. The filing indicated they would be distinct, yet complimentary.

At the front elevation, the fourth and fifth floors will step back from the lower three floors, minimizing the new addition’s perceived massing along Warren Street,” read the filing. “The lower three floors will be clad with copper panels. The upper two floors, as well as the bridges linking the new addition to the existing building, will be clad in grey Rheinzink panels and be similar in color to the slate mansard roof of 1 Thompson Sq. The granite plaza below will create a visual buffer between the existing sidewalk and new addition. The east, north, and west elevations will be red brick, similar to that of the existing building. The first floor will have maximum fenestration to provide a visually pleasing storefront, to enhance the existing streetscape.”
1614866312752.png
1614866333143.png

this looks cool.
still cant believe the 7-11/H&R Block site has not come up for redevelopment. that site is huge.
even the 1 story liquor store site could be so much more.

Are you kidding me. The Naval Shipyard park is right behind the site. And there are plenty of green spaces around there.
$50 says half the advocates involved are just residents of Flagship Wharf who are pissy about their pristine harbor view getting altered.

Surprise! Navy Yard NIMBYs are looking to derail the Pier 5 residential project...

While I don't hate the idea of a public park here... is it really the best use of the space considering how empty most of the rest of the Navy Yard is? Is it the best use of available Federal dollars? No on both counts.
"A large and organized crowd gathered on the Flagship Wharf patio on the evening of June 16 to display their growing opposition to development of any kind on Pier 5.

More than 150 people turned out to hear the first in-person update on the two organizations that have combined efforts in the Navy Yard for restoration of the pier as a park, hiring high-powered lobbyist firm O’Neil and Associates to advocate for them."

I think they need something else to worry about... like what would happen to Rutherford Ave it lost a few LBs. For your consideration.... some new dev parcels fer ya.

Attachments

• Austin Rutherford IIAftah2.jpg
    Austin Rutherford IIAftah2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 179
  • Austin Rutherford IIAftah1.jpg
    Austin Rutherford IIAftah1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • Austin Rutherford IIB4.jpg
    Austin Rutherford IIB4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
I was walking through the Austin/Rutherford intersection last week and felt compelled to do some bad photoshop to purge the obvious demons. This intersection has more in common with where Adams flies over 93.

This is an awful, out of place remnant, an unmoving obstinance, running down property values and serving no one local group particularly well. All destined to fall apart before somebody sacks up to build it like a city intersection, not a series of off-ramps. Having this intersection in your city is like having a tumor on your arm and not treating it.
"Oh, that? That's a big freckle."
"You should see a doctor."
"Nah, it's fine."
Just how long has I-93 been operational, supplanting the need for this vestigial appendage? Why are we still acting like we need 2/3 of the intended function there? To look close at that suspended rotary - the expansion joints smashed together pushing the rubber gooified gap filler above the tilting, the safety-glass strewn sidewalk, the rust permeated concrete, the marginally functional and hideous adjacent pedestrian overpass, the ossified driver's faces unmoving at each of the ill-timed 10-way traffic signals -
All a monument to an unspoken fatalist failure. It's a reminder that we all suck and deserve the worst. We have no power and the state doesn't care. And we have no interest in doing any better because deep down, we know were done for.

What's your take?

Demolition to begin at Charlestown site slated for lab space
screen-shot-2022-03-31-at-31921-pm*750xx1632-918-0-20.png

“The demolition of a former power plant in Charlestown’s Navy Yard is set to begin early this month as developers prepare the site for a new lab-and-retail building.

A group named Power House Partners has proposed to redevelop the long-blighted site at the intersection of Third Avenue and Ninth Street into a 67,000-square-foot building, about two-thirds of which will be laboratory and research and development space…”

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...-to-begin-at-charlestown-site-slated-for.html

Demolition to begin at Charlestown site slated for lab space
screen-shot-2022-03-31-at-31921-pm*750xx1632-918-0-20.png

“The demolition of a former power plant in Charlestown’s Navy Yard is set to begin early this month as developers prepare the site for a new lab-and-retail building.

A group named Power House Partners has proposed to redevelop the long-blighted site at the intersection of Third Avenue and Ninth Street into a 67,000-square-foot building, about two-thirds of which will be laboratory and research and development space…”

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...-to-begin-at-charlestown-site-slated-for.html
Current state.

IMG_5217 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5220 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5223 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_5224 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Back