Charlestown Infill and Small Developments

Is it wrong to say I really like that this building is still abandoned? I almost don't want to see it redeveloped...

Interesting design choice to mimic the general BHCC tan color scheme but do it, apparently, with alucobond rather than some form of faux masonry. Credit to the architects, though - I skipped past BeeLine's intro and guessed it was BHCC just from the render, which I guess is what they were going for.

Is there a good place to put the Charlestown Master Plan? There are some good demonstrations for scenario planning in the storymap:
1662663445284.png

I'll put this here, although if the parcel is developed it will deserve its own thread.

23ESCFSA7S3LQYXXW6KQ45TBJM.JPG

Photo, from the Globe

Link to draft RFP
https://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/8a823da4-e847-4ebb-96e7-22dc343b6d63

....for the redevelopment and long term ground lease of the Austin Street Parking Lots owned by the Boston Redevelopment Authority (“BRA”) doing business as the Boston Planning & Development Agency (the “BPDA”).

The Property consists of two adjacent parking lots. Parcel P 15-b, includes Parcel ID 0203964000, known as 0 Rutherford Ave, at 122,018 square feet and Parcel ID 0203963050, known as 0 Austin Street, at 99,077 square feet. Both sites have been combined to create the Property.
^^^From the RFP

the 5.6-acre site could host mixed-use development, but would focus on “creation of housing for a range of income levels, with an emphasis on deeply affordable and workforce housing, as well as units with three or more bedrooms,” along with 100 deeply affordable Boston Housing Authority units that would be replaced as part of the redevelopment of the BHA’s Bunker Hill complex on the other side of the neighborhood. Other suggestions include a sports practice field, public open space, improved pedestrian connections, a focus on arts and culture, and community-driven ground-floor spaces.
From the Globe

Construction will take place on the track and field from April 17th, until just before Labor Day. Temporary fences will be used to close off areas of the construction site into August. Construction is expected to complete just before Labor Day barring any delays.

Last edited:
BHCC expansion.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 83
Lived in Charlestown for a long time…it’s definitely the city. That being said it’s quiet and charming. Parking on the street sucks, and people don’t pick up their dogs sht. Can’t help but think an 80% increase feels like too much. Sullivan sq and city sq can’t handle it. Oh well…still best spot to live in Boston imho.

Lived in Charlestown for a long time…it’s definitely the city. That being said it’s quiet and charming. Parking on the street sucks, and people don’t pick up their dogs sht. Can’t help but think an 80% increase feels like too much. Sullivan sq and city sq can’t handle it. Oh well…still best spot to live in Boston imho.
I live in Charlestown now. I'm surprised to hear you say that people don't pick up their dog shit. I used to live in the South End and there was dog shit EVERYWHERE. I feel like it's much much better in Charlestown.
I agree with your opinion that it's the best spot to live in Boston....

It’s a problem…I stepped in it and walked it all over my place once…last time I was there visiting I parked in front of tatte, shut my door, looked down and sure enough…makes me glad I left. Covid caused everyone to get a dog.

It’s a problem…I stepped in it and walked it all over my place once…last time I was there visiting I parked in front of tatte, shut my door, looked down and sure enough…makes me glad I left. Covid caused everyone to get a dog.

I think this is a problem in most urban neighborhoods in the inner core of Boston now, unfortunately.

Back