Charlesview Redevelopment | Western Ave | Allston

I'm loving the randomly angled facades in the first five pics.

What a difference it makes to have underground utilities. I was trying to figure out what was missing from these shots, and then I realized--the tangle of wires!

Ewwwwww Jimmy John's? For my money nothing says Midwestern mediocrity more than that place.

Ewwwwww Jimmy John's? For my money nothing says Midwestern mediocrity more than that place.

I have a feeling they are having a ton of trouble leasing the space. My guess is getting a national chain in there might help. What I'd LOVE to see would be to get Maki Maki and Petco to relocate inside of Charlesview, and then redevelop that corner of the property.

Shameless pitch, but GO TO MAKI MAKI!. All you can eat sushi sounds gross, but its amazing quality, super clean, and an awesome deal. Most of the time the crowd is 90% asians too, always a good sign.

I live in the midwest, and can vouch for this. Also, while Jimmy John's might sell coffee, the layout of the kitchen and seating doesn't really make for a cafe style environment, its too fast-foodish. This place needs a coffee house where people will go in and socialize, do work on the laptop, etc. etc.

Just my opinion of course!

14275498841_35960a68d4_b.jpg

Phase 2 (IIRC, the market-rate component) is moving along. Unlike the phase 1 townhouses which were factory-made panels, these are being light framed.

Holton Street:
14321622292_ff636570ae_b.jpg

Litchfield Street:
14136794280_6e37e51e3a_b.jpg

No basements... Personally, I would never buy a slab on grade house around here. I hate the idea of my utilities being permanently sealed into the foundation, as well as lack of storage space.

Inside the main development, the small park between Litchfield and Antwerp Streets:
14136743258_84fe8d793a_b.jpg

And the bigger park between Antwerp and Telford. There were a couple kids riding bikes, and there are lots of stickball games that go on here. It's nice to see it getting use.
14320107531_128dc73f53_b.jpg

There's some kind of long range plan to piece these parks together with the park by the Allston library to form a semi-continuous path all the way to the river. We shall see.

The market rate townhouses are coming along.

Litchfield St at Gould St. Another townhouse is going between the two:
15108841796_e1ab267bb4_b.jpg

Antwerp St and Holton St, Shaws is in the background. I like the way these look better:
14944805739_efa0844fa2_b.jpg

I didn't grab a pic, but the daycare at Charlesview looks like it's almost ready to open (they're unpacking toys), and the Jimmy Johns was having equipment delivered the other day, but is still a wreck inside.

You gonna be at the meeting tonight, thats why you're at Charlesview? ;)

Stumbled on this:

Link
The Residences at Telford Street presents a rarely available fully permitted 80 unit infill development site in Boston’s Brighton neighborhood. The site consists of 0.72 acres. Located just outside of Downtown Boston with easy access to Harvard Square, Harvard Business School and the Harvard University Master-Planned development, the Telford Street development site provides a desirable location for potential residents. The property’s close proximity to I-90 allows for easy connections to just about every major highway in the Boston area including I-95, I-93, Rte. 128, Rte. 2, Rte. 3 and Rte. 9 allowing an effortless commute to the many employers in the greater Boston area including Massachusetts General Hospital, Fidelity Investments (FMR Corp. ), Boston University, NYNEX, Gillette Company and WGBH. Proposals for the property will be reviewed on the potential buyers proven ability to deliver the permitted condominium project.

Looks like the community builders are flipping the phase 3 part of Charlesview.

Back