Charlesview Redevelopment | Western Ave | Allston

The houses are actually spaced closer together than the surrounding neighborhood homes, and are vernacular to the area. Its a much, much better plan then the earlier iterations that had a low rise commie-block styling. Also:

-the existing neighborhood street grid is extended throughout the whole development (for the first time in history)
-a large, ugly, vacant strip mall and parking lot were demolished to make room
-the apartment portion has retail on the entire first floor
-the apartment portion's styling isn't too bad
-the houses are multi-family and built with quality materials (hardiboard siding, not vinyl)
-there is some market rate mixed in with the section 8 (and it's a private housing project, not BHA)
-it is taller and more dense than anything on this side of the pike

The only issue I have with it is that the greenspace around the houses is all open and not parceled off into actual yards, which might make it feel more project-y than it should.

But that's it. It's not the taj, but its a trend setter for the area. Unlike the Kensington, I don't see any way it could have been better unless it was built by a well financed private developer. However, so far none have done anything this substantial nor have shown any interest in building much of anything. The dewalt building has been sitting vacant for sale for years now; you could fit a large apartment building on that site. The city has been begging people to propose something to do with the speedway buildings. No movement. If this project gets retail tenants and the private condos get built and sold maybe we will see better quality down the line.

In addition, the neighborhood itself (west of everett st) is primararly lower middle class familys with children, along with a smattering of young professionals, so the project blends nicely with that demographic as well. So really, quit bitching

Unless you're in Miami or Monaco, balconies are the best way to make an apartment building look like trash.

Scratch that - in Miami and Monaco they also look like trash (Monaco looks like the outskirts of Sofia, IMO), but they're in a subtropical waterfront setting, so we forgive them.

^^A Cambridge project got a recent reno. Went from 50's brick ghetto to "luxury" housing. These new places are in many ways indistinguishable from market rate. And they're contemporary too, not this kind of Hallmark shlock (the apartment blocks at Charlesview are ok but the houses are bad.) Whether it's fair that taxpayers, who in many cases do not live in places as nice, should subsidize others to live more upscale than themselves is a whole other can of worms.

Lincoln Way
http://www.cambridge-housing.org/Wh...nstruction-News/Revitalization-of-Lincoln-Way

The existing Charlesview buildings have balcony/terraces on the upper floor.

015247_1272521_635x423.jpg

davem, thanks for your post.

Unless you're in Miami or Monaco, balconies are the best way to make an apartment building look like trash.

Scratch that - in Miami and Monaco they also look like trash (Monaco looks like the outskirts of Sofia, IMO), but they're in a subtropical waterfront setting, so we forgive them.

Eh not always! At least in my opinion...I like the balconies on this building being built here: http://www.lopes.com.br/ficha-imove...a-mariana/apartamento/le-paysage-ibirapuera/4

Ok, that building does look pretty good :rolleyes: ... but like the Miamis and Monacos of the world, Brazil's coastal cities can handle those sorts of buildings. I'm not a fan of them in Boston or other northern cities, where for much of the year they look grey, lifeless and awkward.

These don't look that bad. Once trees grow and the buildings settle I think it will be nice.

LOL, my knows-nothing-about-urbanism girlfriend just saw these pics and said "looks like they are building a movie set"........indeed!

Where the hell is this? So much new construction!

This is land that Harvard bought and swapped for the existing Charlesview property at Barry's Corner. Once the residents of the current Charlesview move to new Charlesview, Harvard will supposedly demolish old Charlesview.

Harvard is employing similar swap of property with the Boston Skating Club, exchanging the skating club's current oversized quonset hut property on Western Ave for land and building Harvard bought from Cabot Cabot and Forbes at Lincoln St and Everett St.

Harvard still owns lots of property om the area of Holton St., Litchfield St, Everett St. Before the swaps, Harvard owned a whole swath pretty much Lincoln St to Western Ave west of Everett St. and a lot of the larger non-residential land east of Litchfield and Antwerp.

I like this development overall, but what is that winding path through the buildings in pic 1? Looks very towers in the park esque. Do not want.

LOL, my knows-nothing-about-urbanism girlfriend just saw these pics and said "looks like they are building a movie set"........indeed!

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!!! It looks like the Universal Studios Backlot in Hollywood, CA. I want to move there! LOL

^ Haha very nice!

I like this development overall, but what is that winding path through the buildings in pic 1? Looks very towers in the park esque. Do not want.

That's the path running behind (south of) the Western Ave-fronting mid-rises.

Back