Charlesview Redevelopment | Western Ave | Allston

An addendum to the better quality pictures above, from where Antwerp Street will be extended through:
2012-07-01_20-00-44_158.jpg

Foundations for the houses:
2012-07-01_20-01-17_138.jpg

Crane and soon to be demoed Boston Skating Club:
2012-07-01_20-00-52_280.jpg

The gray building way in the back is the telecom building that will be knocked down for the new Boston Skating Club:
2012-07-01_20-04-29_287.jpg

Viewed from NW corner of site (Western Ave). Core for the third highrise is up to the fith story level. Six to eight foundations for the small units are finished and forms are in place for a couple more.

Charlesview Residences Boston 7/30

I'm loving the height and enclosure these add to Western Ave.

This is going to feel like Market Street in Brighton - 50% well-scaled street-oriented urbanism and 50% drive thrus and parking lots.

More optimistically, I suppose, that was like Boylston Street Fenway until recently.

Yea it's a totally different feel on Western Ave. Not perfect but much more presence.

This is going to feel like Market Street in Brighton - 50% well-scaled street-oriented urbanism and 50% drive thrus and parking lots.

More optimistically, I suppose, that was like Boylston Street Fenway until recently.

I'm thinking more like Mass Ave between Porter and the N Cambridge bus yard. And if it gets to that, based on the density of the area, it'd be a total success. We'll see though. Lots more needs to happen before the redevelopment around the "greater Barry's Corner Corridor" is complete.

I'm thinking more like Mass Ave between Porter and the N Cambridge bus yard. And if it gets to that, based on the density of the area, it'd be a total success. We'll see though. Lots more needs to happen before the redevelopment around the "greater Barry's Corner Corridor" is complete.

It would be cool to eventually see a few 15+ story apartment buildings along Western ave.

It's possible down the road, there are plenty of properties that could get redeveloped. Not sure if the sliver of residents who demand what can happen would allow it though.

2012-09-12_18-03-14_583.jpg

Where Antwerp Street will come out. I love the canyon street wall here.

2012-09-12_18-03-38_143.jpg

Left.

2012-09-12_18-03-01_364.jpg

Right.

2012-09-12_18-01-02_501.jpg

If only the other side matched.

2012-09-12_18-13-11_13.jpg

Other end of Antwerp Street, with one of the houses on the right.

2012-09-12_18-12-51_281.jpg

It looks like they are factory panel houses, you can see a stack of pieces in the foundation pit of the one next door.

2012-09-12_18-10-58_230.jpg

The scaffolding is down and the cores complete for the Telford St building. I guess it will be wood framed.

Last edited:
factory panel houses

Otherwise known at modular construction when repetition allows it. It makes for high quality, tolerance controlled construction and cuts down the on-site time. I think this is a positive thing when possible. I know you weren't making a value judgement. This is just my $.02

cca

davem, were those shots taken today? I drove by around 5 PM today (yesterday by now) and could've sworn there was no scaffolding hiding the brick facade on that western-most building. Of course I was zipping by on Soldiers' Field Road...

davem, were those shots taken today? I drove by around 5 PM today (yesterday by now) and could've sworn there was no scaffolding hiding the brick facade on that western-most building. Of course I was zipping by on Soldiers' Field Road...

Yeah, they were taken that day, the yellow color kind of blends in with everything. You can see it in the pic above.

I'm going to miss the datahotel when they tear it down for the new skating club. It's such a fucking waste of materials, and I'm not optimistic the new design will be better. Other then the awful interaction with Lincoln St it wasn't too bad a building. I had always hoped some land swap could be done with Jack Young to get all those beautiful buildings in Allston habitable again, and they would get a nice big warehouse.

(I also secretly envisioned loft apartments in the windows along Everett and the alley, but that's completely unrealistic.)

Funny how something as prosaic as insulation can so often get the mind thinking of alternate and more fun realities. I wouldn't want these colors too much lest we turn into Los Angeles, but some splashes here and there would be much appreciated.

Back