Chelsea Infill and Small Developments

"Gerry Sneirson of New Chelsea Development, who most recently redeveloped St. Stanislaus Church into living units, has purchased the Centro Latino building on Broadway and is planning to put 16 units of housing and three commercial units in the large, lynchpin building on an important corner of the Broadway business district.

Sneirson wasn’t immediately available for comment on the project, and it is currently winding its way through the various Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) meetings.

The plan calls for one commercial unit in the basement and two on the first floor.

The first floor would also house parking for nine vehicles.

The second and third floors would have eight units each, for a total of 16 units.

The project would include building an addition to the rear of the building over the top of the existing parking lot.

The plan got an initial review a the ZBA on July 12, and was continued until Aug. 9.

It will receive a hearing at the Planning Board this month"

source:
http://www.chelsearecord.com/2016/0...tino-building-is-the-focus-for-redevelopment/

^ Wow, that looks... terrible.

A few minutes ago, i was looking at all the amazing buildings being built all over the place in the world.....Awesome office park concepts, highrises, skyscrapers etc....

Then i saw that photo above and was returned to reality; astonished with yet another sober reminder - that we might be too careful around here.

I think the FBI building looks pretty good. Its a federal building, so atrocious urbanism is a given. The black and white contrast is just slightly playful while still appropriately restrained for the organization inside. I would trade half the thoughtless, mangled, mishmash architecture in Cambridge for that facade (above a Cambridge appropriate ground floor).

That stretch of Rt 1 is increasingly surreal.

It's like the Sheikh Zayed Road of brightly colored plywood landscrapers.

It's like the Sheikh Zayed Road of brightly colored plywood landscrapers.

The second time I've actually laughed out loud on ArchBoston (almost as good as the "for people viewing these threads on a Gameboy" comment a few weeks back).

Does anyone know what brand hotel is being built next to the FBI, Marriott and Wyndham?

Chelsea Clock development project is underway. Former junk yard site is having further clean-up and the fences have come down as well.

28540542113_bd2a9e4123_z.jpg

Yes, last Monday, and NOTHING is going on. I thought I heard the locals shot down this plan because it was TOO big for the area.

From the Globe:

"[A] spokeswoman for Market Basket confirmed the chain is exploring a large mixed-use project on land it owns at its store site in Chelsea, timed to the planned expansion of the MBTA’s Silver Line."

From the Globe:

"[A] spokeswoman for Market Basket confirmed the chain is exploring a large mixed-use project on land it owns at its store site in Chelsea, timed to the planned expansion of the MBTA’s Silver Line."

Nothing new. MB has always expressed an interest in further developing their land. If this goes through, the area is going to be soo congested when you take in consideration the projects already approved at the Chelsea/Everett city line (which includes the Chelsea Clock, Old Harley Davidson site and the proposed recycling land in Everett behind the Chelsea Clock).

Fortunately they will have the SLX and still have a commuter rail stop right there. Perhaps this area will become more walkable/pedestrian friendly.

From what i was told, the area being looked at is the corner where Citizens and BK is located

Back