Chicago

KentXie

Reaction score
So I'm heading to Chicago on the second weekend of August for 4 days (really only 3 full days) from Thursday to Sunday. It will be my first time there and I was wondering if there are any must-see point of interests (preferably within city limits as I will not be renting a car). I'll be staying in the Wyndham Hotel just south of Downtown.

Some places I am set on going/seeing is:

Willis Tower
Navy Pier
Millennium Park
Beaches of Lake Michigan
The LOOP
Downtown Area

Possibly going to:

Wrigley Field
Science Museum
Chinatown Area

Pretty sure I may be over ambitious and probably won't see every place but I will damn try.

When I went to Chicago i was really surprise when my friend who lives there took me through different neighborhoods. Bucktown, Damien, etc. They have some cool places and the new and renovated houses are pretty different from what you see around boston.

The Hancock has a better view and usually a much shorter line than Willis Tower. Consider it if you get to Willis and the line is like 3 hours long. I highly recommend that you try to plan your visit to either of these so that you are up there just before the sun starts to set, the sun set, and eventually nightfall. I did about 3 laps around the observatory when I was up there and I got to see Chicago in all 3 phases.

Have a traditional deep-dish pizza at Lou Malnati's Pizzeria: http://www.loumalnatis.com/

Near Millennium Park:
- Check out Daniel Burnham's Marshall Fields (now Macy*s on State St, Chicago). (Burnham's final project of his career was Filene's Boston)

- Check out the Boston firm Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge's Chicago Cultural Center (formerly the Chicago Public Library).

Map of both: Macy*s on left, CCC on right

The LEGO Store at Water Tower Place has an amazing LEGO model of the city.

Last edited:
@choo

From the map, I love how dense these neighborhoods of Chicago really are. I wish I had a friend who stays in Chicago so I can properly explore it. I'll make an effort to go out to one of these places but due to time constraint, I'm probably very limited to the location closer to downtown and the trains.

@data

Yeah, I had a feeling that I would probably go up JHC instead of Willis. I do really want to step into that glass box but that 3 hr wait takes up too much time. Chances are, I probably won't end up in either observation deck unless I have enough filler time (which I do but those are reserve to the girlfriend. I can't do everything I want haha). I'm planning to go up to North Avenue Beach and visit the free Lincoln Zoo next door as well. I'll definitely explore Millennium Park and I would definitely consider the Pizzeria as one of the places to dine in.

Thanks for the responses

Oh and I just want to add, does anyone know any must-see/do nightlife or things to do at night in Chicago?

I plan on going to a club one of the three nights but the other two, I'm not so sure. I may explore the city after dark and I considered going to Navy Pier at night but I have it set as an evening event.

Bars(?)
Shows(?)
Strip Clubs(?) haha jk

I was there in the dead of winter (Jan 20-22) and the wait for Willis was 2 hours.

Clubbing is INSANELY expensive in Chicago. The covers are sky-high and the drink prices and taxes are too. Actually everything about Chicago is insanely expensive. Don't do any shopping there (besides souvenir stores) at stores that you could buy stuff from in Boston. The sales tax is outrageous.

Oh and I just want to add, does anyone know any must-see/do nightlife or things to do at night in Chicago?

I plan on going to a club one of the three nights but the other two, I'm not so sure. I may explore the city after dark and I considered going to Navy Pier at night but I have it set as an evening event.

Bars(?)
Shows(?)
Strip Clubs(?) haha jk

second city

Yeah, I had a feeling that I would probably go up JHC instead of Willis. I do really want to step into that glass box but that 3 hr wait takes up too much time. Chances are, I probably won't end up in either observation deck unless I have enough filler time

JHC has a top-of-the-hub type establishment that's actually much more low-key and pub-like than our own Top of the Hub. No line, no wait, and a drink in your hand as you admire the view out every window. I always prefer these spots to touristastic observatories (and the screaming kids that they attract).

I had one of the better steaks I've ever had at David Burke's Primehouse. I think it's gotten a little commercialized over the past few years, but I'm sure it's still good.

While I'd avoid the Adler Planetarium (insanely boring), going out there is worth it. Especially at dusk as the view of the city is stunning.

I agree about the JHT vs. The Sears. The only redeeming thing about the Sears tower is that they have those little glass boxes that stick out over the streets so you're looking straight down. A gimmick? Yes. But it definitely takes a little bit of courage to step out on them. If you don't do the restaurant level of the JHT, they do have a cafe in the regular observatory that sells beer and wine (moderately overpriced, but not craze). It's on the side that faces West (towards O'Hare).

Wrigley is cool, but I'm a huge baseball fan so the people I went with weren't as excited. The stadium itself is less commercialized and overall less modernized than Fenway. It's also quite a bit more comfortable. To be honest, I find that the current atmosphere around Fenway is more enjoyable than around Wrigley. Fenway has finally has enough in terms of bars and entertainment. Wrigleyville is fun, but it just really didn't seem to live up to the hype for me (and I was there for Cubs-Cardinals which is almost Sox-Yankees fierce). If I went again, I'd try to get seats on a rooftop across the park (many places sell them an each roof has a different draw). But for the first time, you should stay in the park. There's a great skyline view from the deck on the backside of the 3rd base side of the stadium.

Rush Street (near Division) is a pretty popular area for nightlife. You'll find plenty out there.

Chicago surprised me with it's lack of density. It's still dense, but outside of the Loop/Magnificent Mile, it didn't really strike me as very dense. Part of it is because many neighborhoods have 6 foot gaps between houses as a result of new zoning laws after the great Chicago fire. I obviously didn't get to see every neighborhood, but the residential areas I did walk through were not as dense as you might think.

For being a total tourist, CityPass is a good deal. It includes admission to many of the things you want to see and has coupons for others. Worth a look. I did both the Sears (ok, Willis) and JHT with that pass. Worth noting... CityPass allows you to cut lines. While it doesn't allow you to entirely cut the Willis Tower line, it does reduce the wait quite a bit. It does nothing to eliminate the crowds up top.

Awesome suggestion. I'm going to look up those restaurants mentioned. It'll definitely save me time finding one. The City Pass looks good but I want to see both the JHC and the Museum of Science unfortunately. Thanks again for all the suggestions but don't hesitate if you have more ideas.

Once I return, I'll treat you guys to some photos (unless it rains all four days because then I would have launched my camera into Lake Michigan.

Back