Children's Hospital Building | Longwood

I just can't help but think that they could have built around this building with a small cost to the buildable footprint.

Yeah, but we saved a neon sign, so it's a wash or something.

34898920186_3734d813b6_b.jpg

To my eye, this is not the way to go about a demolition. They are either going to preserve much of the building, or salvage/conserve all the stone (limestone?).

Fingers crossed that that's the case. This is a beautiful structure, and let's hope it lives to see another 100 years.

I hope Itchy is correct. Your city baffles me on one hand, you fight tall buildings downtown that might cast a temporary shadow on the park, but then knock this building down. Strange.

If I correctly read the rendering shown in item #9 the portico has been removed so it can be used as an entrance to the new building. The rest will be demolished for the new construction.

What happens to the materials for buildings like these? Does the stone get reused somewhere?

If I correctly read the rendering shown in item #9 the portico has been removed so it can be used as an entrance to the new building. The rest will be demolished for the new construction.

You make a good point and I agree its frustrating. People dont care much about form and function and really only worry themselves with shadows and tall buildings. And I think people only worry themselves with shadows and tall builings because their perception is that it hurts their property values.

I think this one flew under the radar because there's hardly any neighbors close by
People don't care because they dont see this in the middle of Longwood
It was probably already hospital property
It looked out of place considering the size of other buildings

34898920186_3734d813b6_b.jpg

To my eye, this is not the way to go about a demolition. They are either going to preserve much of the building, or salvage/conserve all the stone (limestone?).

I believe they are going to take that portion of the facade and place it awkwardly on the new building as shown in the rendering below. Would expect a tear down once they have the small section they want. (This project is shit.)

Edit: Beeline beat me to this. I must learn to read.

mk93c4.png

They should have built the Joslin tower 35 stories.

They didn't. So, it's 7 years later, and we lose the beautiful little park and get this disaster.

I think this one flew under the radar because there's hardly any neighbors close by
People don't care because they dont see this in the middle of Longwood
It was probably already hospital property
It looked out of place considering the size of other buildings

The building is also making way for an expanded children's hospital. That's just about the most sympathetic cause imaginable.

It's much easier to make a stand against more condos for millionaires than it is against more hospital beds and OR suites for kids with congenital heart defects.

Typical Boston development formula:

Taking the average of Extreme Idea A and Extreme Idea B = Shit Idea C

btw, the floors on 360 Longwood/Joslin Place labs are very tall.

it's only 12 floors, but i figure as much as 18 or 19' per floor, and the total height, about 225'.

Does anyone know the actual height of the tower?

The building is also making way for an expanded children's hospital. That's just about the most sympathetic cause imaginable.

It's much easier to make a stand against more condos for millionaires than it is against more hospital beds and OR suites for kids with congenital heart defects.

I think this is the crux of the matter. It is really hard to argue against sick children. This building went to the Landmarks Commission and they chose not to Landmark it because (as I recall) it doesn't have a significant public presence and the work that was done in the building is better memorialized by carrying on that work in the new building. Harvard Medical School was done by the same architects and is a better example of their work.

Also, it was way overshadowed (!) by the news around the Prouty Gardens. That was the focus of the media when they wrote about the new building (which is really not great, it is just another massive V.E.ed hospital building.

Not really. It's a big money-grubbing leviathan of an institution just like all the other academic monsters in town. Hey, theyre just playing the game the system creates, but play it aggressively they certainly are. Children's does a lot of good, no doubt. But sympathy here is like cutting Harvard a blank check because theyre in education.

Back