Children's Hospital Building | Longwood

81FEC62F-16D7-4F0D-A941-8F2A303C808F.jpeg

Isn't that city-owned public housing?

It might be, but that doesn't really change my thinking. If it is, it should much denser. A plot that size in the Fenway/Roxbury borderlands should have *thousands* of units. Preferably mixed income, not old-school project towers.

These townhouses are the back of Mission Park, a sprawling apartment complex with an ugly tower sticking up out of it. The townhouses are incongruous, yes, but thousands of units plopped here is the pendulum swinging equally far in the opposite direction.

I know they're supposed to be charming or whatever, but those mid-20th century detached suburban multi-families are trash and have no business being in this part of town anymore...

Perhaps, but they create a wonderful layered effect juxtaposed with the mid-rise towers in 02124's photo above. Maybe it's the rain, or the curve of the street drawing the eye up and around the bend, but there's something almost fanciful about that picture. You lose some of the potential for pleasant and quirky scenes like this when you talk about replacing things that don't "belong".

That’s fair enough. I’m looking at this from the perspective of the massive housing shortage, though. And I don’t think that pleasant quirkiness should take precedence over our housing needs.

Last edited:
Of course. Not suggesting that we prioritize occasional, unexpected views over the needs of the populace. Just taking a moment to appreciate the silver lining in what's there now.

I walked past this building yesterday and was struck by how tall (wrong word?) the top floor is. I am well aware of the HVAC requirements of a medical building, and so am not surprised that at least part of it is that tall, but was struck by the shear size of the space to be enclosed by the top floor. Did I miss something?

I know they're supposed to be charming or whatever, but those mid-20th century detached suburban multi-families are trash and have no business being in this part of town anymore...

i was looking at this row on Sunday. Thinking how cute they are.
Also thinking they were now looking a bit more out of place as the area rises.

This is coming out great, glad to see more buildings going up in Longwood, when each one is a major addition to the community with world class hospitals.

Pretty cool that theres going to be a huge aquarium in the lobby.
Rendering-Aquarium.ashx

“The aquarium in the main lobby of Boston Children's proposed new clinical building”

The rest of the renders can be found Here.

St E's and the Monastery project (Brighton Center)

Back