Chinatown Infill and Small Developments

Is that mini-park private, for residents only or is it a private neighborhood park? Fences for parks scream "keep out, you are not wanted here!"

Is that mini-park private, for residents only or is it a private neighborhood park? Fences for parks scream "keep out, you are not wanted here!"

Private, residence only. It was padlocked the day I went by.

^ That's ridiculous. That's not even a park, its just some sidewalk landscaping.

^ That's ridiculous. That's not even a park, its just some sidewalk landscaping.

Maybe, but they are trying to control access to the back side of the building (which is very out of sight, so very open to abuse).

The terraced park on the other end of the building is fully open to the public. There is even a deck with tables, chairs, and public use gas grills!

Maybe, but they are trying to control access to the back side of the building (which is very out of sight, so very open to abuse).

Well then, the fence certainly isn't gonna keep out anyone who is intent on doing mischief on the back side of the building. If the intention was to control access to the back of the building, a tall fence/gate between the building and the wall would be more effective and cost effective instead of fencing such a much larger area.

I have confirmation that we should be seeing an LOI submitted before the end of July for the Tai Tung Village expansion project (Harrison Ave. at Marginal Street). Nominally 85 or 90 units over 40 parking space mini-garage; 5 stories. Likely a mix of unit sizes, but dominantly 2BR and smaller.

Thanks, Jeff! Who owns Tai Tung Village?

I remember something from a few years ago where Trinity Financial wanted to add housing to the existing project somewhere in Chinatown, but this isn't that, is it? If I remember correctly, at the time there was an outcry?

Thanks, Jeff! Who owns Tai Tung Village?

I remember something from a few years ago where Trinity Financial wanted to add housing to the existing project somewhere in Chinatown, but this isn't that, is it? If I remember correctly, at the time there was an outcry?

Winn Companies I believe.

Winn Companies I believe.

I believe controlling interest for Tai Tung Village was transferred to CCBA (Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association).

CCBA is leading the development effort there, as well as the 50 Herald Street site (part of the PDA with Davis Company, 100 Shawmut, formerly 112 Shawmut).

Love how that little plaza turned out. Great way to reclaim excess pavement downtown. Hope they end up extending it all the way to the end of the block as the original plans called for!

I agree and learned about the "tactical plaza" concept at a recent BSA exhibit on flexible urban spaces. There is one on Franklin St downtown but I don't recall seeing it: https://www.boston.gov/news/new-tactical-plaza-downtown-boston

Here is the sign describing the project in chinatown when it was under assembly

BB13B905-C7EC-42E7-908E-CCACEF15C12E by S S, on Flickr

Cladding going up now on the southern wall

IMG_20191011_172117056_HDR.jpg

Upcoming discussion on Parcel R-1, behind the majestic art-deco 75 Kneeland Street

Parcel R-1 Chinatown Disposition Planning
Virtual Public Meeting
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 | 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
The Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA) invites you to a virtual community meeting via Zoom, to discuss the potential redevelopment of BPDA-owned Parcel R-1 in Chinatown.

The parcel is located at 48–58 Tyler Street and 49–63 Hudson Street and is currently used as a parking lot.

How to Participate
This meeting will be hosted online, using Zoom. You must register using this link, then you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for joining the meeting.

Parcel R-1_Page_1.jpg

Parcel R-1_Page_2.jpg

Back