Chinatown - Progress or Gentrification?

Sorry, Ron, yes, the first image is of the Old Howard. The video describes how the destruction of Scollay Square led to the rise of Boston's "red light district" in Chinatown. This is one of the few photos I've seen of the Old Howard, standing or being torn down.

I am blanking on the name of the building at the corners of LaGrange and Washington streets. It's RR Haydn ... what is it, I forget. They turned the building into apartments, I believe, after it failed as a bank branch and many other businesses.

I don't understand why the back of City Hall has such a major drop down to Congress Street. All the photos of Government Center / Scollay Square seem to show a gentle slope downward or even flat land; why is it so high up on the backside, facing Faneuil Hall?

Hayden Building. We've got a whole other discussion about it. Yes, there was a bank branch for a while, but the rest of the building remained vacant. It will now be turned into apartments; I don't remember what the plan is for the storefront. Historic Boston Inc. owns it.

There has always been a substantial downslope from Scollay Square to Faneuil Hall. Cornhill (street) had that name for a reason. You'll experience the same hill climb today if you bike up State and Court Streets to Government Center.

I don't understand why the back of City Hall has such a major drop down to Congress Street. All the photos of Government Center / Scollay Square seem to show a gentle slope downward or even flat land; why is it so high up on the backside, facing Faneuil Hall?

Underground parking.

Chinatown protest calls for resident jobs and housing amid construction boom
By Jeremy Fox, Boston.com

Amid a boom of new residential and mixed-use development in Chinatown and across downtown Boston, community members and their supporters marched Wednesday to demand jobs and affordable housing for neighborhood residents.

The protesters, led by the Chinese Progressive Association and the Chinatown Resident Association, ranged across the neighborhood in the intense midday heat to visit four sites of strategic significance to local residents.

Near the former Boston Herald site on Harrison Avenue, where the Ink Block project is under construction, Mark Liu, deputy director of the Chinese Progressive Association, said the project is creating hundreds of new jobs but does little to directly benefit its neighbors.

“How many Asian-American faces, how many people do we see on these jobs that we know?” Liu asked the crowd, which swelled to about 100 at the height of the protest.

Protesters called for 51 percent of construction jobs to go to Boston residents, and 51 percent to people of color, with at least 15 percent going to women. For permanent jobs, they set the same goals for city residents and people of color, but called for half the jobs to go to women.

Longtime activist Mel King, 84, said he had lived as a child in the area now under construction.

“Welcome to the Ink Blot development,” King said to the crowd. “Why do I call it the Ink Blot? Because they blotted out the entire community.”

King said that when he had lived there, on Seneca Street, he considered it “one of the best neighborhoods on Earth.”

“I got a copy of the Herald-Traveler,” King said, referring to a predecessor newspaper to the modern Boston Herald. “It said I lived in a slum. I lived on Skid Row. I did not believe it, because I called it home.”

King held up a photocopy of an old map of the neighborhood when it was known as the New York Streets area, a neighborhood where tenement apartment buildings lined streets named for towns along the Erie Canal in New York State.

That area became the first in the city decimated amid the urban renewal craze of the 1950s.

King said when he was growing up, this was a neighborhood of Italian, Irish, and Chinese immigrants, as well as African-Americans.

“We want our rights back to this neighborhood,” King said. “We are here today to change the direction of this development, to bring it back to the people, where they can have the jobs, where they can have the housing.”

King and Hakim Cunningham, director of organizing for the Boston Workers Alliance, called for disparate communities of city residents to unite in opposition to the developers.

“Residents should get to enjoy the wealth coming to the neighborhoods around them. Tell Cranshaw Construction and National Development we need construction jobs and permanent jobs,” Cunningham said, referring to the general contractor and the developer for the project.

From the Ink Block site, protesters marched through the city streets to another site originally cleared for redevelopment in the 1950s.

Lydia Lowe, executive director of the Chinese Progressive Association, led marchers in a chant, “Hey people, I’ve got a story. Let’s tell the whole damn world this is people’s territory.”

On the narrow sliver of land between Hudson and Albany streets, below Kneeland Street, Karen Chen, organizing director for the Chinese Progressive Association, said construction for a new housing development being built by the Asian Community Development Corporation would begin in the fall.

Chen said the project would include jobs for community residents and affordable housing because the community had fought for those things.

Teen speakers took to the megaphone to call for the inclusion of a community library at the site, an amenity that Chinatown has lacked since 1956.

“Every other community in Boston has a library, so why don’t we have one?” asked Adam Chin, 17.

The protest then moved to 21 Edinboro St., where Chen said government subsidies that make the building affordable to tenants are set to expire next year.

Two of the building’s tenants described their plights.

“I live here with my kids,” Ping Huang said through a translator. “They all go to school here locally, and it’s really important for us to stay here. We would like to keep this building affordable.”

Another tenant, Yan Zhu, said through a translator that she has lived at 21 Edinboro for a decade, speaks no English, and might be unable to keep her job in a nearby restaurant if she had to move.

At 25 Harrison Ave., where residents were forced to flee in May 2012 because of unsafe living conditions, protesters said that a developer’s plan to buy the building and build luxury micro-units had been called off.

But, they said, the community still must work to ensure the building is used as affordable housing for Chinatown residents.

Henry Yee, co-chair of the Chinatown Resident Association, said developers came into the community to take advantage of what residents had created.

“It is what it is today because the community built it,” he said through a translator. “We made it better. We made it what it is today. Because we made our community so nice for developers, they all want to take our land.”

Well, they could put a library where Cmart used to be if the city has the money.

Mel King is a fossil windbag. Mel owns a full townhouse on Yarmouth Street assessed, not worth, assessed at $1,706,400, which means it is worth more than $2,000,000. If Mel is so concerned about affordable housing let him divvy up his house into apartments (like most were in the Elysium which was his neighborhood growing up) and rent them out to below market rents. Bingo, four to six more people have housing located near transportation and jobs, and I didn't have to subsidize it. Go for it my dashiki wearing wealthy property owner.

I thought we had a thread on Parcel 24 - the Hudson Street redevelopment in Chinatown.

Regardless, hasn't there been (conservatively) 94 "ground-breaking" ceremonies there?

Yet, today, here's the view:

EDIT: Not the full view. There was a man who was urinating into a Solo cup on the corner that I chose to crop out.

There is a thread (mods feel free to move this post too!): http://archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=9 In the last week they have marked up the grass/sidewalk and hammered in wooden stakes -- I'm somewhat confident this will actually break ground soon.

I thought we had a thread on Parcel 24 - the Hudson Street redevelopment in Chinatown.

Regardless, hasn't there been (conservatively) 94 "ground-breaking" ceremonies there?

Yet, today, here's the view:

EDIT: Not the full view. There was a man who was urinating into a Solo cup on the corner that I chose to crop out.

An article made to make you feel guilty on Thanksgiving Day.

"They built all the luxury housing so we have nowhere to live."

Huh?

In Boston's Chinatown, Longtime Residents Face An Uncertain Future
By Samara Breger and Bruce Gellerman, WBUR.org

BOSTON — Boston’s Chinatown was built on wasteland — tidal flats and landfill.

Over the decades, cheap rents made the neighborhood an attractive place for waves of immigrants — Irish, Italians and Jews. At one time the area was even called Syriatown.

But today, the neighborhood of low-rise buildings is in high demand. New luxury apartment buildings are driving up property values, and driving out longtime residents. They’re being displaced by a new wave of immigrants — wealthy entrepreneurs, from China.

‘Soon There Will Be No More Chinatown’

A pair of giant imperial stone lions guard Chinatown’s Beach Street entrance. The Chinese characters on the ceremonial gate translate to: “All under Heaven for the common good.”

The gate was erected in 1982, right next to land that was taken by the state for the common good — construction of the Massachusetts Turnpike and Central Artery decades earlier.

Karen Chen is too young to remember, but says you can still see the damage that was done.

“This building over there that says ‘Welcome to Chinatown,’ this building used to be twice as big,” she said. “But when they built the Expressway they chopped it in half. Urban renewal, right? Classic.”

Chen, the organizing director of the Chinese Progressive Association, says the roadway construction cut through the heart of Chinatown, displacing 300 families.

Boston’s Chinatown is the third-largest Chinatown in the nation. But the Chinese population has been steadily decreasing. Residents are moving to towns like nearby Malden, where the Chinese population has tripled, and Quincy, where it’s quadrupled.

Many, like Baoen Qiu, who lives in Randolph, regularly return to Chinatown to shop.

“I really want to move to Chinatown,” she said through Chen’s translation while at Happy Family Food Market on Hudson Street. “I live really far right now, so I would really love to move to Chinatown if I can.”

Right now, Qiu works at a restaurant. “I don’t get paid a lot,” she said. “For the amount of money I make, I won’t be able to afford to live in Chinatown.”

According to Boston’s Department of Neighborhood Development, the average annual income for a family in Chinatown is only about $14,000. That’s less than any other Boston neighborhood.

As the social and cultural center for the region’s Chinese community, the pull of Chinatown is powerful.

Lisa Yu lives in Medford, but she’s a regular customer at Great BBQ on Hudson Street.

Cheap rents are a thing of the past in Chinatown. Over the last decade, construction of high-rise, high-end residential buildings along the periphery of the neighborhood has dramatically driven up property values and the cost of apartments.

“A lot of people are actually doubled up,” Chen said. “If it’s a two-bedroom unit, it could be two families, instead of one family. And you know the rents around here. It used to be, I would say, a range from $700-900 for like a one-bedroom. But now, if you talk about luxury towers, right, a one-bedroom could be like $3,000.”

Luxury Urbanism, And Affordable Housing Demand

Chinatown lies in the shadow of the new luxury tower Millennium Place, where a one-bedroom condo goes for $600,000 and a three-bedroom penthouse over $3 million.

Marketing consultant Nicole Yonke showed off the amenities at Millennium Place.

There’s the exclusive wine bar, garden and resident-only screening room. The tower has its own social network, La Vie, where you can sign up for special events featuring celebrity speakers. Millennium calls this luxury urbanism.

“You’re now in the relaxation room,” Yonke said as she continued her tour, “where guests will wait for their therapists for their facial or massage, and we also have a yoga room here.”

Millennium Place just opened, and nearly all of the condos have been sold.

Anthony Pangaro says that Millennium Place is a great place to live. He’s a principal with the company that developed the building and two other luxury high rises near Chinatown.

“We’re also proud to be neighbors here,” he said. “We enjoy a terrific relationship with Chinatown, we have built affordable housing in Chinatown, and we welcome more.”

In Boston developers have to build some affordable housing to get their projects approved, or contribute money for affordable housing elsewhere.

But because incomes in Chinatown are so low, many residents can’t even afford affordable housing. Using the city’s formula, a family of four would need to make $67,000 a year to qualify for affordable housing. That’s about five times the average income in Chinatown, according Sheila Dillon, Boston’s director of neighborhood development.

“There’s a lot of pressure in Chinatown for affordable housing,” she said. “It’s a neighborhood in Boston that has one of the lowest-income populations. And it’s a very built environment. So while we’ve had a lot of affordable housing as a percentage in Chinatown, there’s not a lot of places to build affordable housing in Chinatown. So it’s a problem; it’s a challenge.”

Right now, Chinatown has more affordable housing, by percentage, than any other Boston neighborhood. But it’s also the densest neighborhood in the city, and with that many needy people, there’s a huge demand for more affordable housing. For example, Tai Tung Village, one of Chinatown’s largest housing projects, has an 18-year waiting list.

Wealth Created In China Is Returning To Boston

Along with affordable housing is the need for better-paying jobs, says community activist Chen. Developers are required to set aside half their construction jobs for local residents, but Chen says those short-term jobs are no replacement for long-term employment.

“For example in the Millenium(sic) building they should think about having a Chinese subcontractor to do the cleaning work because that’s a way people can get some good-paying, living-wage jobs,” she said.

There used to be lots of jobs in Chinatown; it was a center for textile manufacturing. But the industry, and its factories, have long gone overseas. Onetime area resident Lisa Yu witnessed the change.

“It’s very hard to find a job,” she said. “No more factory in here, you know? They move out, go to Vietnam, go to Hong Kong, go to Japan, go to China. No jobs in America.”

Those jobs that went overseas aren’t coming back, but the wealth that was created in Chinese factories is now returning to Boston. Chinese nouveau riche are investing their money in luxury real estate here in Chinatown.

“They have a lot of cash — a lot, a lot. So in other words, they don’t know where to spend,” said Patty Chen.

But Patty Chen knows. Her company, located in Wellesley, advises wealthy Chinese clients on how to get visas and move to Boston. She tells them to buy a home in an upscale suburb and then invest in luxury apartments downtown.

“They not only bought one, they bought two, three, four,” she said. “They can call their friends in China and say, ‘Hey, I have all the condos in the center of Boston. Whenever you go, you don’t need transportation. You can walk to everywhere. So convenient! Fresh air, safe foods, clean water. Boston is unique.’ ”

Boston developers are aggressively marketing to the new Chinese investors.

The websites for the luxury buildings are in Mandarin and Cantonese, and in their showrooms are small guardian lion statues, like the big ones protecting the Chinatown gate.

Developer Pangaro says that a quarter of the sales in his building are to international investors — the Chinese attracted to Boston’s high-quality schools and universities.

“We are seeing a number of international buyers, people who are sending their children here,” he said, “and they’re buying because they want a safe place where people can keep an eye on their kids for them.”

Boston’s Chinatown is undergoing a historic transformation. Over the last decade, as the percentage of Chinese living there has continued to decline, the white population has doubled. Small shops catering to Asian customers are closing and moving out. Compared to other Chinatowns in the nation, Boston’s has the largest percentage of chain stores.

“That’s why we’re fighting, to stabilize Chinatown,” Karen Chen said. “We need to have a Chinatown where there are Chinese people who live here. Because you know in [Washington] D.C., if you look at their Chinatown, it’s really sad because there are no Chinese people there. And there’s a lot of nice buildings, but Chinese people don’t live there. What we’re trying to do is preserve that.”

The challenge for Boston’s Chinatown is preserving its cultural presence while building a sustainable future. But the forces of progress are putting pressure on this once-undesirable neighborhood, and longtime residents wonder: is there a place for them?

It's tough when they can't even get cause and effect straight.
Over the last decade, construction of high-rise, high-end residential buildings along the periphery of the neighborhood has dramatically driven up property values and the cost of apartments.

Other way around, WBUR. Rising property values have attracted the construction of high-rise, high-end residential buildings.

I had smoke coming out of my ears listening to this. I can't think of one residential structure that was taken down, unless you talk about homeless people living in the Gaiety, in Chinatown in the past 15 years.

Affordable housing has increased in Chinatown over the past few years with the addition of elderly units along Essex Street as the result of Archstone and other development mitigation.

Why do we have to preserve the housing in an ethnic neighborhood? If we had this place called, say Irishtown, and it happened to be located east of Dorchester Avenue, south of West / East First Street, north of Dorchester Bay, and west of Farragut Road, and we had to build large amounts of affordable housing for a certain ethnic group only as the result of mitigation for high end development, the internet might go full Cleveland and break.

An article made to make you feel guilty on Thanksgiving Day.

"They built all the luxury housing so we have nowhere to live."

Huh?

John,

I think almost the same argument can be made for all of the formerly ethnic enclaves although Chinatown being located in the core of the rapidly improving DTX area is probably the most dramatic:

Jewish and Polish Chelsea
Polish and Irish East Cambridge -- now becoming Cape Verdean, Brazilian and Portuguese
the West End
The Italian North End -- rapidly yuppifying and which was once Irish
the Polish Triangle along Dorchester Ave -- now becoming Vietnamese and Haitian
and even Irish Southie

Moral of the story -- things change -- you are either in an improving area which by definition means that prices are rising -- or else you are living in a neighborhood which is in the process of decline with decreasing values -- ultimately it will become a sea of parking lots and run-down structures -- and then years later be a place ripe for development

I had smoke coming out of my ears listening to this. I can't think of one residential structure that was taken down, unless you talk about homeless people living in the Gaiety, in Chinatown in the past 15 years.
...... the internet might go full Cleveland and break.

Followed all that except for the Full Cleveland -- how is that different from Full Buffalo

Don't worry about the Chinese being forced from Chinatown. They've bought up half the housing in Malden and most of Quincy, God bless them and their hard work and determination. Even Japan Town in San Francisco has been reduced to a couple of blocks of retail. Chinatown still thrives there, but of course, the Chinese on the West coast are equivalent to the Irish on the East when they first arrived as low-wage laborers.

Followed all that except for the Full Cleveland -- how is that different from Full Buffalo

The "full Cleveland" is one of my father's favorite concepts. Except he describes it as an unfortunate/regrettable fashion choice involving white plastic shoes, white polyester pants, white plastic belt, and matching polyester shirt. Basically you look like Judge Smails from "Caddyshack" I gather.

It's tough when they can't even get cause and effect straight.

Other way around, WBUR. Rising property values have attracted the construction of high-rise, high-end residential buildings.

Actually it's a cycle. Rising property values causes high-end residential buildings which increases the rising property value of the surrounding area which attracts more high-end residential buildings. And etc.

The cleaning up of the Combat Zone is probably the spark that started this cycle.

Affordable housing has increased in Chinatown over the past few years with the addition of elderly units along Essex Street as the result of Archstone and other development mitigation.
QUOTE]

John,

I think the time horizon people think about is longer than 15 years back. This is not really about the more recent construction (this is where the news item is wrong). Over the past 50 years, there has been a huge loss of row houses in Chinatown and the South Cove area -- mostly through taking -- huge urban renewal that bulldozed large areas like the New York Streets, and Hudson/Albany area for the Southeast Expressway. Tufts University and the Tufts Medical Center also took a lot of homes.

There are people who still remember the old neighborhood. The high rise affordable housing that replaced some of the row houses is simple not the same kind of neighborhood. It is much less of a community, more barren and sterile.

I think the older community in Chinatown feel that a lot of other neighborhoods in the city got a lot more respect: Back Bay, South End, even Bay Village next door got protected. Chinatown got concrete towers (like the West End).

John,

I am posting a link to your Boston Magazine piece: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/real-estate/blog/2014/05/12/boston-chinatown-changes/

But, the result of new development in the neighborhood is that property owners see the opportunity to make more money, so they kick out existing tenants, renovate their properties, and collect higher rents or sell out to eager condo-buyers.

Quick question on the quote above. Do you have any recent examples of this? The only ones that came to mind were Avana Lofts and the condemned building on Harrison Ave near Essex St. I believe the Avana building was commercial prior to being flipped but I could be mistaken. The proposal to turn the condemned building into micro-units/lofts has not seemed to progress.

Back