Chinatown - Progress or Gentrification?

Since this article is not specific to one project, I thought we could put it here. There's at least one other thread specific to one of the hotels.

Geez, Katheleen, editorialize much?

Three hotels proposed for Chinatown trigger protest for more affordable housing
By Katheleen Conti, Boston Globe
February 09, 2017

Boston’s Chinatown neighborhood, the last immigrant enclave in the heart of the city, has been under siege from the building boom that has swept the city with glittering luxury towers and the gentrification that comes with them.

Now residents say they are facing a new threat: hotels.

Developers have proposed three new hotels in Chinatown on dilapidated or underutilized properties, among them a former rooming house on 25 Harrison Avenue that was abruptly evacuated one night five years ago after the building was found structurally unsound.

“There are three hotel proposals in Chinatown right now at the same time we’re having this housing crisis,” said Lydia Lowe, co-director of the Chinese Progressive Association, which organized a protest Wednesday afternoon outside the Harrison Avenue property to draw attention to the neighborhood’s need for affordable housing.

“We don’t want a hotel there,” she added. “We would like it to be single-room occupancy housing, which it was before; it’s really needed.”

Property owner and developer Sing Ming Chan and his representatives met with various neighborhood groups and organizations last year to pitch a 26-story, 132-room hotel on the property, which deeds records indicate he purchased in 2014 for nearly $5 million.

Chan could not be reached for comment, and his attorneys did not return calls for comment.

Two other hotels have been proposed in the neighborhood. A proposal for a 17-story hotel with 250 rooms on 73-79 Essex St., on the corner of Oxford Street, is under review by the Boston Planning and Development Agency.

Another proposal, presented to neighborhood groups last year by the owner of East Ocean City restaurant, would add four stories above the restaurant building on 25 Beach St. for a hotel with up to 85 rooms.

Both the Harrison Avenue and Beach Street proposals have sought feedback from BPDA, but have not submitted plans, said Jonathan Greeley, director of development at the agency.

Greeley said the agency and Mayor Martin J. Walsh’s administration are “taking very seriously the development pressures of Chinatown,” and that they’re trying to balance those challenges with a commitment to increasing affordable housing, such as the 46 affordable units slated for the PBX Residences on the former Verizon building on Harrison.

“We take a vibrant Chinatown very seriously,” Greeley said. “We’re not going to sacrifice the soul of Chinatown; we’re going to maintain its cultural identity.”

Despite the building boom around the neighborhood, city officials boast they have increased the overall percentage of affordable housing in Chinatown.

Chinatown residents recognize those efforts, Lowe said. But in a neighborhood in the shadows of Millennium Tower, with its multimillion dollar penthouses, and other luxury housing, Lowe said many residents fear “it’s almost too late” to save Chinatown.

She said many Chinatown residents are counting on a series of tenant protections pushed by Walsh that would, among other things, protect renters from evictions in certain circumstances and bar landlords from clearing entire buildings of tenants in one swoop.

“I know the city is between a rock and a hard place,” Lowe said. “We’re glad Chinatown has a large amount of affordable housing, but there are hundreds of people who are threatened with displacement.”

Any idea what the City does with the hundreds of millions of dollars it gets from developers for the housing linkage payments for completed projects?

And an equal amount goes into the "jobs" fund. God knows where that money goes!?

moto

This is the one NIMBY argument I'm 100% behind. Dont ruin the fabric of the neighborhood with new, sterile buildings that will push the "native" population out.

^^Agreed. If Chinatown goes, it may be only a matter of time before the same goes for the North End.

Would you be equally in favor of preserving a neighborhood full of low income white people with bars and restaurants serving gin, warm beer and bland food?

You guys are crazy... Chinatown is practically a slum in the middle of the city. It's incredibly dirty, underutilized for it's location, and very rundown. It needs to be cleaned up big time.

Also how would these affordable housing advocates ensure only Chinese or Asians populate those units? I don't think they can so it's a moot point IMO.

You guys are crazy... Chinatown is practically a slum in the middle of the city. It's incredibly dirty, underutilized for it's location, and very rundown. It needs to be cleaned up big time.

Said Mayor Hynes and the BHA to the West End in 1953.

Chinatown has it's faults, but I find it a nice reprieve from surrounding areas.

Would you be equally in favor of preserving a neighborhood full of low income white people with bars and restaurants serving gin, warm beer and bland food?

I've seen this presented as some kind of "gotcha" argument several times, and I don't think it proves as much as you think it does. I'm in favor of having a mix of "cultures" in the city, for multiple reasons (dim sum is tasty!). Policies that grow the pie by expanding the supply of housing are good, policies that do nothing to the size of the pie while making the city a more homogenous place less so. Theres no reason to keep this to race, either, since a mix of family sizes, education and income levels are all desirable. The best way to do this is to upzone the whole city and allow the market to produce housing, but as the recent downzoning of southie will attest to, this isn't happening, so preservation of existing diversity seems reasonable.

Said Mayor Hynes and the BHA to the West End in 1953.

Chinatown has it's faults, but I find it a nice reprieve from surrounding areas.

Yea, the difference is I'm not suggesting a wholesale leveling of Chinatown by the city of Boston. Shit comes and goes though. Chinatown being redeveloped is a good thing.

My goal is greater urban density. But replacing an SRO where very poor people live, with a hotel or luxury housing will actually reduce density. Even if the physical building is much bigger.

Further I do think diversity and character has value.

Id be ok with maximum unit sizes per bedroom to prevent low density housing in the middle of town.

Yea, the difference is I'm not suggesting a wholesale leveling of Chinatown by the city of Boston. Shit comes and goes though. Chinatown being redeveloped is a good thing.

It is a good thing. If a property owner want to maintain their properties as is, so be it. That is their right as a property owner.

Despite the best efforts of the SJW crowd, the fact is that no one has an absolute right to live anywhere where they do not own the property. And it is not for government to dictate otherwise. That is not to say no one has the right to rent or that affordable housing should not be developed.

Mixed use and mixed income works. There is absolutely no reason for all people of limited means to be cramped into slums that are not kept up by their owners, especially in the middle of a city.

Last edited:
I do agree that Chinatown needs are greater in housing than 3 hotels. I feel the city needs to step up a do a zoning/long term study plan of the area. Similar to south boston/Dorchester ave study plan. Without a long term plan this neighborhood will be lost.

Yeah if there is a cultural aspect tied down to it

Also how would these affordable housing advocates ensure only Chinese or Asians populate those units? I don't think they can so it's a moot point IMO.

Dim Sum tastes better dirty. Fact.

^^Agreed. If Chinatown goes, it may be only a matter of time before the same goes for the North End.

Since when? The North End is America's urban version of the Hollister Ranch. We can't even get the 12 story micro hotel done on the abutting parcel in Valenti Square. Is Valenti Square even in the North End? Really, the pushback starts if anyone proposes anything bigger than changing 2 stories to 4 on a 3,200 sq ft hodunk slice of dirt.

Back