Chinese Architecture or Whatever.

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

Hmm, I don't know. I liked the previous one better.
This one does not vividly show what happens to all of us when thread goes off topic.
Instead, it suggests that there are services available to people who facilitate such things...

Is thread derailment really that bothersome that content must be removed? Some of the most interesting commentary has resulted in off topic discussion. Further, one could argue that the Liberty Mutual thread wasn't derailed at all considering the "faux-traditional architecture" debate has lived on since the renderings were initially released.

The discussion wasn't 'removed', just separated.

The conversation is allowed to continue, just in a different thread.

A lot of forums would have just deleted the off-topic posts.

Redirect to railroad.net? /knows he isn't helping the topic at hand

Why are the Chinese doing European classical architecture in the first place? Arg! There's a wealth of classical Chinese architectural motifs to use, why in the world would they use European ones? I know the answer is that its a way to show class, or status or something, but give me a break. At least when the US decided it wanted to imitate European classicism with the Beaux Arts movement, the US really was a descendent of Western civilization, but China is the descendent of its own civilization. Finally, the US was able to create great Beaux Arts buildings at the time because we were rich and labor was cheap. Both apply in China now but they're doing cheap knock offs. I. just. don't. get. it.

This area has a lot of real European architecture. And why should a style of architecture be limited to a specific geographic area? It's not like China has any shortage of Communist architecture, which is foreign to China too.

^ Yeah, it's incredibly rare to see something identifiable as "Chinese" architecture in a Chinese city. Western influences have been working on Chinese architecture since at least the 19th century. At the same time, outside of special buildings like temples or palaces, most people would probably struggle to distinguish vernacular buildings in old sections of Chinese cities from similar ones in other parts of Asia or even parts of Europe; these buildings weren't that distinct.

wuxi_grand_theatre_pes-architects-01.jpg

Sexy. The latest thing from Finland. Aalto an Utzon appear to have mated.

I saw that on Architizer yesterday too. Amazing! So beautiful!

Soooooo digging the space-frames!

That's what the BCEC could have been. Way better than what's there now, even with the dead expanse.

Back