Citgo Sign Debate

Some of you probably already know this but I'd figure I'd point it out for those who don't.

Another Fark.com poster said:
While it's true Citgo is owned by of Venezuela, the stations are owned independently by individual Americans.

So by encouraging people not to buy Citgo gas, you harm American small business owners. However, since gasoline is a fungible commodity, all that gas you don?t buy from Citgo stations will just be sold to Exxon, Shell, or someone else and you?ll buy it from them. You won?t impact Venezuela at all, but you?ll hurt American businesses. Why do you hate Americans?

snopes is your friend.

statler said:
Some of you probably already know this but I'd figure I'd point it out for those who don't.

Another Fark.com poster said:
While it's true Citgo is owned by of Venezuela, the stations are owned independently by individual Americans.

So by encouraging people not to buy Citgo gas, you harm American small business owners. However, since gasoline is a fungible commodity, all that gas you don?t buy from Citgo stations will just be sold to Exxon, Shell, or someone else and you?ll buy it from them. You won?t impact Venezuela at all, but you?ll hurt American businesses. Why do you hate Americans?

snopes is your friend.

Just because that gasoline can be replaced by other gasoline is a really weak argument. It's not like the person not going to citgo is going to drive on empty for several weeks. They'll fill up at xom or somewhere else. You're not hurting American business at all. You may argue that an inconvenience exists because I go around the corner to BP instead of citgo, creating .05 in waste times 100,000,000 people times 50 times a year ( a severe stretch of the imagination). I personally have stopped using Citgo for some time and I suggest everyone do the same.

Lurker said:
At the rate Chavez is wrecking his country's economy and infrastructure he will be toppled soon by an angry populace.

I hope you are right, but he could end up as the next Castro.

I would miss the citgo sign if it were taken down, but I'm sure I'd get over it.

The last thing I want is a big "america is awesome" propaganda billboard :wink:

I like statler's suggestion:

statler said:
:lol:
hugoSucks2.jpg

And I agree with Scott:

Scott said:
a tempest in a teapot

Poor Dude won't make enough at Circuit City to fuel up his SUV.

Scott said:
Poor Dude won't make enough at Circuit City to fuel up his SUV.

I make enough at Best Buy to fill up my SUV about 40-50 times a month if i felt the desire to, thanks.

Just to chime in here. I can't stand Bush, I think he may be one of the worst presidents in US history, I think he has harmed our country deeply, I passionately disagee with just about every thing he has done since becomming president. However, you can't have the leader of a foreign country calling the President of the United States the devil in front of the UN. You can't take that kind of insult lying down. The fact that the country doesn't seem to be taking any actions is a sign of weakness, it shows how addicted we are to Venezuala's oil that they can insult us like that but we let it slide as long as our dealer keeps sending us our fix. I'd say turning the lights off on the sign would be an OK way for Boston to show our disapproval.

Joe_Schmoe said:
I'd say turning the lights off on the sign would be an OK way for Boston to show our disapproval.

Good idea about turning the sign off. I say, keep it off for a week and have the pols turn up the 'devil' rhetoric during that time. This will make international headlines and it will be a good and simple way to protest.

Joe_Schmoe said:
However, you can't have the leader of a foreign country calling the President of the United States the devil in front of the UN. You can't take that kind of insult lying down.

Why not? Chavez's statement does no harm to anyone. It is just rhetoric. Ignoring insults is a sign of maturity.

This has little to do with George Bush. The insults are what brought this issue front and center but that's not the real issue.

I'm more concerned about what happens to the sign if Citgo changes its name or logo (remember, the first version of this sign was a Cities Service clover), or if it gets merged out of existence like BankBoston.

Ron Newman said:
I'm more concerned about what happens to the sign if Citgo changes its name or logo (remember, the first version of this sign was a Cities Service clover), or if it gets merged out of existence like BankBoston.

Well, as long as it lights up the night sky, I don't really care what's up there.

I found Hugo's UN antics childish, and easily dismissible. All he really did was reveal himself as a populist clown. The best reaction is not react at all, I think.

I dont know how serious this proposal to remove/change the Citco sign really is, but Im getting Freedom Fry flashbacks. Regardless of whether or not the sentiment was justified, all that was really accomplished with that gesture was making Americans look like petty morons. This would do the same for Bostonians.

I think Boston should do absolutely nothing about this issue. I don't mean to make generalizations, but you can't hide that this city and this state don't support Bush much. Let the people of Crawford protest this, not Boston. Frankly, I don't care about the comments (he's free to say whatever he wants to), and I think Boston is better than to get worked up over someone else's political statements. It's politics, this stuff happens all the time. Chavez was just brave enough to say what was really on his mind rather than try to beat around the bush like everyone else. I actually smiled when I heard what he said, because while the "patriotic" voices of America paint him as a radical, crazy extremist, I know full well that he represents the feelings of a pretty sizable chunk of the world's population.

Chavez was just brave enough to say what was really on his mind rather than try to beat around the bush like everyone else. I actually smiled when I heard what he said, because while the "patriotic" voices of America paint him as a radical, crazy extremist, I know full well that he represents the feelings of a pretty sizable chunk of the world's population.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Chavez is a petty thug whom is doing great harm to his country. If you can't see that if you can't see that, because you are blinded by a critical attitude of your own country, then I really feel sorry for you. Many people would say that they wished you could live in some hellhole for five minutes to learn otherwise, however having lived in a real police state in the third world, I would not wish that upon even my worst enemy.

"blinded by a critical attitude toward your own country"

So what you are saying is people you don't agree 100% with your choice of Republican politicians they must be unpatriotic.

That is a bullshit argument.

Back